LegacyGT.com

Ready for STAGE 3 tune...Any Advice? Listed Mods

You're scaring me. I am in exactly the same place. My stock turbo grenaded at Christmas and I upgraded to a 16G with all the extras except for the injectors & pump which are ordered. Installation and retune for those in the next week or two. Still have stock TMIC.

Over 130K and 300ish hp am I seriously looking at blowing this Boxer up?:confused:

Depends on how you drive. Drive like a little old lady, be religious about maintenance and never run in the upper rpm range (then why have a 300hp motor?), and you'll likely be fine.

Drive like an asshat or engage in spirited driving, you're playing with fire on stock components. If you keep up on the oil and filters, you might be ok. However, I'd set aside money for a rebuild.

I blew a stock engine on the track thru oil starvation. It's debatable how much I started with. However, it's not debatable about the results. #1 piston cracked in 4 places, #1 rod bent twisted shortened and lost temper, holes in both halves of the block, and the remaining oil in the undertray caught fire. Mine may have been the very worst case, however, it's still worth considering.

On the new engine, I pored over this forum and talked to dozens of people about what worked and didn't. Then went to a builder who understood my requirements and was willing to build to that tolerance. Knock on wood, the result has held up through some brutal track days and is still a riot to drive today.

If you start your build with "I bot a bunch of parts randomly", its very likely you'll be posting often "my car is broken today as some random part failed unexpectedly".

/soapbox

Hey Boxkita thanks for the advice, it always nice to here from people that have had the experience. I am pretty mild with my driving and have no plans to track the car at all. And Markbo anything is possible when it comes to blowing sh*# up, that is why a good tune is very important. Get it tuned for your driving style like what Boxkita was saying about flat tq curves vs peak curves. My legacy has been very well taken care of in its 130k life and I am one of the people who is constantly under the hood checking and occasionally staring at nothingness...lol

If she blows, I will rebuild and make it better. Life of a car enthusiast.

I went big on the injectors cause I want to do E85 in the future. As far as the 6mt swap that is on my list when the 5mt goes.

Hey Boxkita thanks for the advice, it always nice to here from people that have had the experience. I am pretty mild with my driving and have no plans to track the car at all. And Markbo anything is possible when it comes to blowing sh*# up, that is why a good tune is very important. Get it tuned for your driving style like what Boxkita was saying about flat tq curves vs peak curves. My legacy has been very well taken care of in its 130k life and I am one of the people who is constantly under the hood checking and occasionally staring at nothingness...lol

If she blows, I will rebuild and make it better. Life of a car enthusiast.

I went big on the injectors cause I want to do E85 in the future. As far as the 6mt swap that is on my list when the 5mt goes.

Your 5mt is already shot. You just don't know it yet. Start shopping for a 6mt now. :wub:

My center diff was nearly frozen by the time I replaced it. When mine went, the 5th gear teeth were pinging off everything as they chipped off. When it was pulled, you could flick the gear teeth with your finger and they would fly off. If it wasn't so expensive to replace, it would have been funny. :spin:

Man I hope not. Not ready for 6mt swap. Also I just finished up the suspension a few weeks ago, tein H-techs on KYB struts, love it. Little stiffer but smooth. Did the typical blown out front lower control arm rear position bushings as well.

Got the intake and tgv's off today. Hoping someone can answer this, the gasket for the tgv to engine is a metal with rubber gasket on my car. When I look up a new gasket they come up different like a thin paper like gasket even grimmspeeds version. Is mine an OEM gasket?

Well started reassembling and didn't get very far. Tried to install the perrin turbo inlet...CRAPOLLAAA!!! Any advice on a better fitting inlet? Other than OEM. Zerolift tgv deletes fit perfect, still waiting on a response from the above post question on gaskets. Also has anyone used the turbo cartridge replacement? Found one on ebay for $250, dont know how many miles are on my VF52 turbo while I have things torn down.

Not sure about the cartridge replacement but 6StarSpeed rebuilt my VF52. Couldn't tell you yet how it runs, as I've still failed to get the thing on the road.

I missed the memo with the Zerolift TGV deletes, going to put it back together and now I either need to gut my OEM TGVs, or get top feeds and a new fuel rail.

I bought the perrin one as well. Looked at it, said no way and bought a stock replacement. For $230 I expect it to fit better also. Supposedly they used to fit better until the made then a universal fit for wrx and lgt.

As I hear a lot though, if your really worried about oit flowing the stock inlet, you need to go rotated turbo anyway

Ya I am not going to mess with it anymore, stock inlet it is. Got a question for any to answer. I am running the Zerolift tgv's that are molded like oem top feed injector tgv's, so I went to install the injector and fuel rail conversion kit that I recieved from Dave at cryotune and they dont fit. The bolt holes that bolt the rails to the tgv's are off by a good 1/4 inch. Question: are the bolt holes different between sidefeed and topfeed tgv housings? I guess I need just an upgraded fuel rail and injector kit instead of a conversion kit since I not running gutted oem sidefeed tgv? Anyone?

O and I also decided to go with the FMS tmic instead of the RacerX fmic, will running 18psi still be ok since I am running the 1000cc injectors?

• 2 months later...
Welcome to the world where virtually nothing aftermarket that's a "bolt on" just bolts on.

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

• Moderators
You're scaring me. I am in exactly the same place. My stock turbo grenaded at Christmas and I upgraded to a 16G with all the extras except for the injectors & pump which are ordered. Installation and retune for those in the next week or two. Still have stock TMIC.

Over 130K and 300ish hp am I seriously looking at blowing this Boxer up?:confused:

Seriously doubt you're realistically at "300ish" with a 16g and no fuel mods.

Probably closer to 275. Or lower. Obviously depends on the dyno, but just a 16g/vf52 with no fuel mods should be pretty safe--that's basically a stock 2009-2014 WRX at stage 2.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I can chime in on a similar set up that I'm running

VF52

Access Port V3

Process West Top Mount

DW65c

ID1000's

ID Top Feed Conversion Kit

6AN Fuel Line Kit

09 WRX Turbo Supply and Return

Cobb XLE BOV (set full recirc)