LegacyGT.com

TRS Retro-Quik Retrofit or ...

roll_tide

Go with RX350! much easier to mount, output is amazing. RX330 needs a lot of tuning to get good results (Moving shield down 1mm, curve shield and TSX-R clear lens.) The size of the projector a bit big and it's hard to mount the projector. I have like 15 RX330 sitting in my storage right now that I don't wanna use it.

Do those fit in 05-09 lights?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The size of the projector is smaller, if the RX330 can fit then the RX350 would fit easier with minimal trimming done.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

I have like 15 RX330 sitting in my storage right now that I don't wanna use it.

AFS or non-AFS? Because at least for the 05-09's it looks like the RX330 retro is pretty straightforward (i.e. they basically drop right in).

If non-AFS, hook a brother up, I'd be interested in a pair of them.

All I got is RX330 AFS, I got one pair that's TSX-R tuned with curve shield that needs to pull out of my old headlight.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

What are these "brackets and hardware" that are referred to in the retro-quik kit for the Legacy? If I have an HID kit with H1 bulbs and I get the projectors, where do the "brackets and hardware" come into play?

You are to take your headlights apart and replace the projector with the supplied HID projector. The "brackets and hardware" is to help with that swap.

So I get that I need to take the headlights apart etc, I've looked at this thread http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/retrofitting-projectors-trs-hid-178274.html that covers the whole process. My question is can the retrofit be done without those brackets? In other words, does the new projector just bolt right onto where the old projector does or do you need the brackets for it to bolt onto? The reason I'm wondering is because if I don't need the brackets I can piece the whole thing together from the clearout section for about half the cost of the retroquik. Sorry for the thread hijack

edit: Nevermind I ended up just buying the projectors, brackets and bulb from the kit. I'm a sucker for a sale I guess

Just ordered a RetroQuick kit for my obxt. Had the ds2 kit for my WRX and loved it.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wasnt that impressed by the retroquick kit, the mini H1 6.0's are kind of meh. Currently in the process of redoin the whole thign because of this.

Wait for the 7.0 kit or there is a kid making brackets to for the FX-R.

I wasnt that impressed by the retroquick kit, the mini H1 6.0's are kind of meh. Currently in the process of redoin the whole thign because of this.

Wait for the 7.0 kit or there is a kid making brackets to for the FX-R.

People are making brackets for the mini h1 7.0's now. I saw somebody on the Legacy Owners Worldwide advertising them. I've got the 7.0 in a 3rd gen Legacy now, and it seems pretty nice.

I will probably do 7.0's in my 4th Gen Legacy in the coming year.

• 2 weeks later...
I had emailed TRS about a 7.0 kit for the LGT. They basically said they want to do that, but there are other cars higher on the priority. So no timeline yet for LGT

Simple solution: Just buy a Legacy adapter bracket for the 7.0 from somebody other than TRS.

• 5 weeks later...
What brackets? Do you just mean the legacy kit from trs? I ordered mine about a month ago and I'm still waiting. So this would be good news if the kit is back in stock.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TRS/Morimoto released the Mini H1 7.0 late last November. However, they did not have adapter brackets to bolt the 7.0 projector into the Subaru Legacy housing until fairly recently (within the last month?). They actually continued to sell the old Mini H1 6.0 up until very recently in their application specific retro-quick kit section. I bet a few people that didn't know the difference between the 6.0 and 7.0 ordered the old-style, lower quality 6.0 projector. Several of us were waiting to buy the Legacy kit (projector, ballast, relays, bulb, etc) until they packaged a complete 7.0 setup.

For the past couple months, the only person selling a Legacy Mini H1 7.0 bracket was a guy named Nathan from "Custom Brackets and Designs" for $55. That is $20 higher than when TRS sells the brackets, so most people wanted to wait for the TRS option.

As far as the Mini H1 7.0 projector backorder, it's been going on for months. However, TRS is pretty sure they will be able to start filling orders next week, though, according to their Facebook page. I have a couple 7.0 projector sets on order, so I expect to have them within the next couple weeks.

Did you get the 6.0 kit or the 7.0 kit? You definitely want to get the 7.0.

Thank you so much for the helpful information, I checked my order I have the RETRO-QUIK: SUBARU LEGACY (03-14) 7.0 kit. I did not know that there was two different kits.

Do you have an 06-07 or 08-09 Spec B? If you have 06-07 I think you need to disable DRLs first. If you've got 08-09 everything will wire right up plug-n-play.

Definitely wire up the high beam xenon solenoid (using y splitter in the kit). The 7.0 high beam is crazy bright!

I have a 06. My DRLs are already disabled. So when you say the 08-09 is all plug and play you mean the kit from TRS? I only ordered the retro fit glass and brackets from TRS, I got my HID kit some where else so that should be plug and play for me. As for my high beams I was going to install some LEDs.

I have a 06. My DRLs are already disabled. So when you say the 08-09 is all plug and play you mean the kit from TRS? I only ordered the retro fit glass and brackets from TRS, I got my HID kit some where else so that should be plug and play for me. As for my high beams I was going to install some LEDs.

The 7.0 is a bixenon projector, so it uses the same projector and HID bulb for low and high beams. This does not prevent you from putting LEDs in the old high beam location for "doubling up" on high beams. In my opinion, you'd be crazy not to wire up the HID high beam function in addition to the regular high beam bulb (LED or regular bulb). The HID bulb is far brighter and the light projects much farther than any of the LED kits.

As part of the retroquik kit, TRS provides a "y cable" that hooks into the high beam wire on the headlight. It splits that wire so that you can run the original high beam (or LED bulb) AND the HID bixenon high beam at the same time (or just the HID high if you choose to do that). Both 05-07 and 08-09 are plug in play with the retroquik, it's just that the 05-07 need DRL deleted because they use the low beam signal for DRL. 08-09 uses high beams for DRL, so it doesn't interfere with HIDS.

I'm serious, the HID high beam on the 7.0 can light up the distance brighter than anything I've ever seen. I just put a 7.0 into an 04 Legacy last month. If you are putting LEDs into the old high beam bulb sockets, it won't be making it any brighter than the bixenon HID high beam. The LED high beams would just be for looks.

So much useful information, I appreciate it. Yes i will double up. I did not know that the same bulb was used for Low and High beams. Im guessing this is a very simple install? I am so excited I dont even have HIDs installed in my 06. I have been riding around with just the worst lights haha. I have a brand new pair of headlights sitting around just waiting for the parts to get here.

So much useful information, I appreciate it. Yes i will double up. I did not know that the same bulb was used for Low and High beams. Im guessing this is a very simple install? I am so excited I dont even have HIDs installed in my 06. I have been riding around with just the worst lights haha. I have a brand new pair of headlights sitting around just waiting for the parts to get here.

It really is a pretty easy install with the kit. The hardest part is opening the headlight and that's only because you have to be patient taking it apart. You can find a lot of picture guides here on the forums and I'm going to upload a video in a week or so of how to do the whole process, I just have to take care of some clutch issues before I do.

Archived