LegacyGT.com

TRS Retro-Quik Retrofit or ...

roll_tide

Nope, and please don't try :) the halogen projetors aren't designed for HID's. Honestly though, I wish I had done this upgrade a long time ago. Spend the extra coin and just do it right the first time. Take a look/ask this question at HID Planet if you want some more knowledgeable advice though.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
The output is night and day compared to PnP kits. Probably the reason why you got so much color at the cutoff was that you bent the shield? Anyways, i'm probably gonna go get a set now lol.

Sorry, when I said "bend the shields" I meant the squirrel finders. There are also two holes in the "middle" part of the cutoff shield that allow light through to illuminate above the cutoff line (I believe also contribute to "squirrel finder" illumination) I can take pics of stock projectors to show what I mean if needed, or maybe someone else has a better way of explaining. Once the new set is on and finished I'm doing a dual bixenon (some call quad xenon) legal demon eye projector retrofit just to sell.

Nope, no shield bending was needed for color just the clarity of the line at 10-20ft. No washers added either. I did make a squirrel finder delete though. Great, you'll be happy with this.

Wait, you did a squirrel finder delete on Mini H1's? They don't have squirrel finders. Did you go a different route than earlier posts?

This is what I made, the tin behind thr screws on the back of the solenoid holding it together. The two "slats" from the hinges cause a "glare box" (what one of the hidplanet guys called it at least). Pic attached.

Alignment was fine, but I think I was lucky. I had to slot one of the mounting holes on the retro-quik bracket, kinda scary. I guess 3 points can't shift a system but still...

HoleBlockInstalled.jpg.58e8e436678bcde792a539dbe529865f.jpg

Surprisingly the stock projectors with good a quality hid system and a black series clear lens have some amazing light output and the color flicker is quite impressive. Only problem I've noticed with the stock projectors is the bowls burn out quickly.

And in terms of alignment, was it level from the start? was there any way to fine tune the alignment?

You'll likely have to adjust alignment post-install (I know I did). But that's easy -- there are 2 bolts on each headlight assembly for vertical and horizontal adjustment.

Surprisingly the stock projectors with good a quality hid system and a black series clear lens have some amazing light output and the color flicker is quite impressive. Only problem I've noticed with the stock projectors is the bowls burn out quickly.

Amazing light output? You've never seen a proper HID projector then. The halogen bowls are far from amazing. You might be getting a nice Cutoff and some nice color, but that doesn't help you for actually projecting light down the road. Plus the squirrel finders are gonna blind people! Don't give people ideas that it's OK to put hid kits in halogen headlights!

go with rx330 non afs's.........they bolt directly into our headlight bracket without additional hardware. You can use the legacy sheilds if you want, or you can go buck nasty and get someone to mod the rx330's for you.......

If I wanted to do this, what parts would I buy? Is there a kit available? Who would do the mods? How much work to do it after it's done?

Looking more for ease-of-installation at this point.

Then you want mini h1s

Is this a TRS retro-quick option/kit? Or something else? I'm relatively new to the headlight retrofit game.

Does it include replacement lenses? Mine are pretty cloudy, and I had them cleaned just over a year ago and it's already back... Wouldn't mind paying for better lenses if such a thing exists and the price is not outrageous..

Hadvw,

You can get rx330 non afs projectors or maxima projectors (retrofit source sells the maximas in their closeout section). Basically you would use the legacy shield with a clear lens and the maxima projector bowl. There are a couple threads that show exactly what to do. Here's one :http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rx330-oem-conversion-full-oem-hids-write-up-56028.html?t=56028

Here's another using a custom shield and maxima projectors :http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?54045-2009-Subaru-Outback-by-greenkouki

Amazing light output? You've never seen a proper HID projector then. The halogen bowls are far from amazing. You might be getting a nice Cutoff and some nice color, but that doesn't help you for actually projecting light down the road. Plus the squirrel finders are gonna blind people! Don't give people ideas that it's OK to put hid kits in halogen headlights!

ok amazing light out put for a bowl that was intended for a halogen bulb, and yes it does help greatly for putting light down the road. you obviously have never tired to modify projectors yourself... its easy to pay someone to do it for you. they're are not quite as wide as the true HID projectors that I have retro fitted into other styles of headlight, TSX, Evox, FX-r, Rx330, but they do a very good job improving light performance but only with modification. the squirrel finders can easily be bent down or modified to reduce glare. to get that output the projector must have a black series lens with proper spacing in the lens holder. I would never recommend anyone put an HID kit in a non projector halogen headlight but with proper modifications the stock projector can have great light out put for anyone that's on a budget and isn't requiring a bi-xenon projector. And the color flicker is on par with heavily modified TXS projectors. You'd be surpised how good of a projector these OEM ones can be considering they were never designed to be used with an HID system

ok amazing light out put for a bowl that was intended for a halogen bulb, and yes it does help greatly for putting light down the road. you obviously have never tired to modify projectors yourself... its easy to pay someone to do it for you. they're are not quite as wide as the true HID projectors that I have retro fitted into other styles of headlight, TSX, Evox, FX-r, Rx330, but they do a very good job improving light performance but only with modification. the squirrel finders can easily be bent down or modified to reduce glare. to get that output the projector must have a black series lens with proper spacing in the lens holder. I would never recommend anyone put an HID kit in a non projector halogen headlight but with proper modifications the stock projector can have great light out put for anyone that's on a budget and isn't requiring a bi-xenon projector. And the color flicker is on par with heavily modified TXS projectors. You'd be surpised how good of a projector these OEM ones can be considering they were never designed to be used with an HID system

Would love to see your pictures

Is this a TRS retro-quick option/kit? Or something else? I'm relatively new to the headlight retrofit game.

Does it include replacement lenses? Mine are pretty cloudy, and I had them cleaned just over a year ago and it's already back... Wouldn't mind paying for better lenses if such a thing exists and the price is not outrageous..

Right here is EVERYTHING you need. No mixing parts needed, and it's bixenon.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/morimoto-retro-quik-system-subaru-legacy-2003-2009.html

Problem is you'll burn the chrome off the projector bowl because they weren't designed for the heat output of xenon bulbs.

Talking about modifying cut-off shields... if you spray paint them, you can get color reflection off the bowl giving your car 'colored eyes' (If you're not careful, your bi-x shield may 'stick' and light output is not affected for typical use)

28741_10151154555538173_241600131_n.jpg

459719_10151162290558173_1234849880_o.jpg

Also, TRS offers "Value" series MH1 projectors. Works just as well as the top-notch MH1 6.0's but for $50/pair.... Can't really beat that.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/closeouts/6-0-b-stock-h1-bi-xenon-projectors.html

Archived