LegacyGT.com

TRS Retro-Quik Retrofit or ...

roll_tide

Putting a bracket between the bowl and lens changes the spacing of the unit. This will affect light output. It basically pulls the bulb and bowl farther from the lens, which changes the focus of the light. I have a hard time believing that would be a good thing.

No DONDOLO you have it correct. I have the 6.0 so I can't advise you on why it's not aligned properly but I can tell you the order you have everything looks correct to me. I don't know why it's so much further up than it's supposed to be.. :|

Edit: In that picture above this post you're holding something upside down. Those 2 don't align. If you have the flippy part on the TOP of the light you have it wrong. It's supposed to be on the bottom.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is so frustrating haha I'm going to call TRS tomorrow...I'm so confused...

TRS has good support. Please let us know what they say. Hopefully save me some confusion when i do mine on Sunday.

Here's what my bracket looked like, and how everything mounted up:

https://www.facebook.com/106275933058160/photos/ms.c.eJw9zNsNwEAIA8GOIrA5Hv03FoWDfI5YA5UEGYUQSX3QhsOFBh8bTtHDuNa~_699L7yvH6p9VsI7uecaM~_297~_nW9BPEcng~-~-.bps.a.210823149270104.1073741843.106275933058160/210823262603426/?type=3&theater

From the pics here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.210823149270104.1073741843.106275933058160&type=3

You can see that the projector lens and bowl were never seperated. The bracket went behind the entire unit. I had to supply my own bolts+nuts to attach it together.

yeah that ones looks easy haha, I have no idea whats wrong with mine.

No DONDOLO you have it correct. I have the 6.0 so I can't advise you on why it's not aligned properly but I can tell you the order you have everything looks correct to me. I don't know why it's so much further up than it's supposed to be.. :|

Edit: In that picture above this post you're holding something upside down. Those 2 don't align. If you have the flippy part on the TOP of the light you have it wrong. It's supposed to be on the bottom.

Yes she was holding it up upside down, I was trying to just show that they have to mount together because of those 3 holes on both sides I also figured out that I dont have it upside down because it only mounts one way.

Yes she was holding it up upside down, I was trying to just show that they have to mount together because of those 3 holes on both sides I also figured out that I dont have it upside down because it only mounts one way.

Did you call them today? In your pics, you had the bracket the correct way (it wouldn't fit any other way). I'm not sure what you could have done wrong. It's possible they sent the wrong bracket, or the bracket design just doesn't work right. It's a brand new bracket design that just came out a month or two ago.

USPS says I'll get my set delivered tomorrow.

Did you call them today? In your pics, you had the bracket the correct way (it wouldn't fit any other way). I'm not sure what you could have done wrong. It's possible they sent the wrong bracket, or the bracket design just doesn't work right. It's a brand new bracket design that just came out a month or two ago.

USPS says I'll get my set delivered tomorrow.

I called them and we couldn't figure it out, the only thing I can think is that my headlight is messed up. The part that holds the projector rocks back and forth a little bit(the whole chrome housing). I always thought that was normal but the guy from TRS said that may be the issue. I'm not sure if that is the case because then I feel like I could just line it up. Me and some of my friends are about to have another crack at it this evening. :spin:

Well, I got my kit and mine doesn't work well, either. Here is a short video of how mine is too high, too.

I attached a picture of it, too. This is fully sealed up, and with a decent aim on the headlights (i.e. not adjusted straight down into the ground).

I also figured out why my last Subaru Legacy kit from TRS wasn't plug-n-play. TRS did not include the proper cabling in my first order, which is why I had to make my own cable. In the kit I just got, I got the cable that runs from the low beam, headlight down to the OEM Input on their relay harness. (see attached pic)

I thought I was saving a little money using the TRS bracket and retroquick kit, but that didn't turn out to be the case. I would have been better off using the same bracket from the other manufacturer and paying $20 extra for it. The other bracket is easier to use, and it works properly. It doesn't require disassembling the projector, either. There really is no excuse for a bad bracket considering people have free designs available for 3D printing that you can download.

IMG_20160508_085433757.thumb.jpg.39fa76fe1ecb19eaf2cc296be9cea41e.jpg

IMG_20160508_090235330.thumb.jpg.fd690821261ee584da14e3e3155774a4.jpg

Alright, so in your video I had that problem as well and for the time being I just used an 8mm and adjusted it until it was centered. Ill have to fully adjust the headlights when I have time. My kit was fully plug and play except I have no idea how to wire up the high beams. so for now the stock high beams are still what I would use. The headlights look great and the light output is amazing. I love the way they look with my LED switch backs, I'm just upset that I left it all chrome, removing the orange side marker. I should have blacked them out some. My next task when I have time is to hide and neatly tuck all the wires under the hood. Any one care to post a pic and share where they ran their wires?

Update from TRS regarding the bracket:

"Thanks for your email and thank for bringing this to our attention. I spoke with our design manager and he said that we will have replacement brackets in about a week or so. So as soon as they arrive we will get them on the way for you."

• 2 weeks later...
I got a refund from TRS today for the bracket. I placed an order with Custom Brackets and Designs. That's the bracket used on my other Legacy. TRS said the updated bracket should be in next week, but that's also what they said a week and a half ago.

wow..... wtf mine are already installed

The current bracket would force you to really aim the headlight low to center it behind the shroud. I imagine your night driving visibility is pretty poor.

Also, I posted pictures and a video of how to wire the high beams for you. Was it not helpful?

I got a refund from TRS today for the bracket. I placed an order with Custom Brackets and Designs. That's the bracket used on my other Legacy. TRS said the updated bracket should be in next week, but that's also what they said a week and a half ago.

My friend is the owner/operator. I have seen his work up close.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160528/664f960ae6b2d092e16dcc3669c12fd9.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160528/1ea4fb2d9423cc542216b638cf4af687.jpg

Here is the TRS bracket (black) compared to the CBD one (silver). When overlaid, you can see the silver places the projector .25" lower than the black one. The pics seem to be upside down.

TRS seem to have been flailing recently (see/trawl hidplanet).

Huge backorder delays on a few things: Mini h1 7.0, butyl rubber, and the 35W ignitors. Their supply chain and importing have had huge issues. My orders tacked up to 7 weeks total of backorders.

Here are my new CB&D brackets with the headlights all bolted up and polished & refinished (spar urethane thinned with mineral spirits).

IMG_20160530_091756301.thumb.jpg.f28a92a425cb10a8d0931be8a33c8150.jpg

IMG_20160530_091812464.thumb.jpg.a3ba68da7bd6d02f05344b9de422f1fb.jpg

Just did my H1 6.0 (and custom light bar) retrofit today while taking apart my front end for my JDM bumper. Also used a Mothers (or was it Meguiar's?) headlight cleaning/polishing kit which made them look great. Rigged it up to use the ballasts from my previous HID kit and can't wait to get this front end together and fire these things up :)

538209213_EndofDay2-1.thumb.jpg.84826d0163f5335d337a3b7be0b242cf.jpg

The current bracket would force you to really aim the headlight low to center it behind the shroud. I imagine your night driving visibility is pretty poor.

Also, I posted pictures and a video of how to wire the high beams for you. Was it not helpful?

Seeing as I've only driven the car once since the install i really haven't noticed the poor night lighting. I just figured its because they needed to be adjusted. So my best option is to take it all off and switch brackets? And no i didn't see your video yet.

Did TRS even reach out to tell you about the brackets? Mr Tris (banned from this forum now) also found the same issue.

I took a bunch of pics. The high beam solenoid cable can be run through the rubber grommet in the headlight. I used a power drill with small bit and just jammed the wire terminal through it prior to inserting the terminals into the connector housing

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160531/5d93a0ea91c6ea89856efcc21b7732ef.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160531/cb01e6540988bf0421746bbe59dac677.jpg

The high beam solenoid connector outside the headlight then connects into the H-beam cable.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160531/75ba3f06b09312529c457eff6dff71aa.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160531/c2ac6554aade449008199c13f1b2d04b.jpg

I am the y cable to show you the direction the leads go. There is a yellow and orange side. One goes to high beam solenoid connector and other to the high beam bulb.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160531/97768887f59786f6146e20e3e79ce193.jpg

Archived