LegacyGT.com

Midinstall computer install in Subaru - ampie, m1-atx

foobark

It's all about how it performs for you - Don't let Darkfox front, his processor runs at 1.3 clock cycle, but it's not a pentium so the number of instructions it can do has nothing to do with how well it performs those instructions.

In fact... I can't even find any nice colorful charts on the web that'll show you the comparison of a Pentium Celeron 1ghz vs an EPIA SL13000 because it's just not fair.

For comparison,

benchmarks for the sl13000 at http://www.epiacenter.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=65&page=5

pcmark 2002 hits a CPU score of 1356 and a memory bandwidth of < 700

and here http://www.sysopt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-103752.html

user namrak posts a PIII 500 (running at 575 mhz) getting a CPU score of 1532 and mem bandwidth of 1247.

It doesn't take long to read up on what clock speed means, but in lieu of reading (or a CS education from Daniel Webster College) the only true measure is how many times your foot bounces and your mouse hand quivers while waiting for application to start up :)

[ to balance the sheet here, the power useage and temperature will probably not show up on the same chart as a Celeron [or gasp an amd] because they rock that department ]

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heh, I'm not tryin to "front" I'm just sayin, most 500mhz computers I've worked with its like pulling teeth for it to run xp, its just an advisory I'm not tryin to say I made a better purchase heh, I mean I spent $800 on a computer that I could probablly build myself out of spare parts for free if size and psu were not an issue. I got it for the size moreso than the specs, the specs are only ok.

Carputer has been working great tho, when I first finished it I kept telling my friends I didn't think it was worth it.. but now that its had time to sink in.. I really love it.. infact just today I noticed that since I had put my radio back in I hven't pressed the FM button at all.. my presests havcen't even been set for like 2 weeks.. and I dont plan to do it lol

GPS is nice too.. when I'm going to a customers office or going from their office to their home all I need is the address, no more messy jots of directions and "you'll see an old tractor"

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Pulling teeth or not, your computer actually scores about the same as a PIII 500... It's super small, power efficient, cool, and everything is included on board which rocks. But if you can run XP then so can trdvibe. Hell, I was running XP on my EPIA m10000 (slower then yours) and it ran fine - until my "less then legal" copy accidentally ran out of license time and I went with a legal 2kpro. It will be running linux before the year is out though. I can stand the boot time of 56 seconds.

And I'm glad to hear that my reaction was exactly the same as yours... after the initial investment I was a bit glum. But now that I've let it sink it, it's running almost without a hitch. It's totally worth it... and I haven't done any of the more advance stuff - like netstumbler access point plotting or using verizon to post my position to my website - (course that would make the bella legacy easy to steal).

After some hacking and bending, I now have the information panel in. I'm able to connect the stock cable up (and even more importantly get in there to unplug it). For now I'm happy I can have everything installed with no airbag light, but I'll definitely be in if/when you get the extra pins for the extension cable. No point in having a tight squeeze if it isn't needed.

Now to go work some more on the LCD mounting... :)

Thats neat. I demand a write up though! Did you hack the lighter door panel? Can you still access behind that door now? Do you know the part number for that door?

questions questions questions...

Give me pictures or give me dearth!

The lighter door (and whole lighter/ashtray assembly) goes away entirely. I need to take pictures still, but it looks a lot like the picture:

http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/images/300_info_panel001.jpg

The problem is that it is designed for the Japanese market and needs a little modification. There are some different strategies to it but you're goal is to get the new black trim to sit flush where the door used to be. You cut the black trim and/or you cut the car piece (I did a little of both although not exactly the way darkfox did it). You then have to enlarge or move the screw holes since they don't line up perfectly (I chose to enlarge on the black trim and to bend the metal support to align properly).

werd..

the ashtray is suprisingly complicated. I was suprised when I took the console trim out to see how.. interesting it was.. it has this little greased arm on one side that helps it open.

I can get you the part number but the info center install was very very easy, modding ours took a dremel a drill and 2 bits and maybe 20 minutes doing it slowly. (and a whiteout pen to mark where we needed to dremel to) my carputer boots to playing music in about a full 60 seconds, maybe more given the hesittion of the power on signal coming from the car starting.

I'm not really suprised that the cpu on an itx mobo isn't really as fast as comparative clock CPUs.. I've never worked with a p3 500.. most of the ones I have around that speed are p2 and amd k6-2s.. those are the ones that crawl. Either way, the most intensive things I do on my carputer is play some light nintendo and such games, very easy on the cpu. Otherwise its just navigation (which I'm kind of looking at a way to improve since its hard to read the tiny little buttons on MS streets & trips 05) and mp3s and inet.. I faded out the movie feature cois I have no cdrom and dont feel like copying gigs and gigs of movies via wifi.. especially considering the only spare usb wifi card I had was B.. 11mbps peak UGH it crawls lol, but its fast enough for browsing..

package hasn't arrived yet for the 2 wires, but I'm anticipating it this week. I hope!! I want that airbag light out before it burns out lol.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

well, i'll continue working on this silly thing as i have time.... can't wait to get the cpu here so i can see how/where i'll actually install it. also, have to figure out how to do the info center on top of the dash.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Thanks for all the great info. I'm moving forward with my Mini Mac install. Hopefully I'll have it completed by Xmas. What Xenarc monitor did you go with? The TR? The cubby opening (from an outside perspective) measures just slightly under 7" while the specs on TR is 7.19" and the TSV is 7.75". Do you leave the buttons intact that are underneath the monitor and they are just hidden by the modified bezel? I just ordered the stock bezel from SubaruParts.com and I'm anxious to purchase the monitor. I don't mind spending the extra cash on the TSV, but not if it's going to make the install more of hassle. This is my first time trying anything like this, but I can't resist. I figure if it doesn't work out, I can rig the monitor for the future junior to watch.

a mac mini install should be fun to do, considering its already an all in 1 package complete with cdrom and probablly very power efficient, I imagine its already DC powred with an external AC converter you can probablly rig up to run right off the car.

I used a xenarc 700TSV. this is not how I wound up mounting mounting it, but this will give you an idea of whats behind mine. I wound up backing the controller board off with the same 2 plexi peices as this method, but held it together with silicone since it doesn't conduct. It's messy and I detest doing it that way but after a week of brainstorming I couldn't find another way w/o modifying something else.

The switches are a part of the controller board there, you can see the back of them on the board in the pics, they are not needed however as the 700TSV has an infared remote, and otherwise is automatic in pretty much every aspect.

Hope that helps.

good luck with your install TRD. take lots of pics! I got carried away on mine and failed to take the pics that would make you think I'm making a haynes manual "based on a complete breakdown and rebuild of.."

1.jpg.c54242cb2735d998dcd678ac9ee4222b.jpg

ya, i haven't been as good about getting my pics like i usually do. but this time, i'm having someone else do the mounting of the LCD than myself. just no time right now. once i get all the items to work with, I'll take plenty of pics. :)

kudos to mp3car.com, ordered the monitor at 1:00pm today, received the tracking by 2:00pm and I'll have it tomorrow.

I've decided to go with the P1900 for a power supply just in case my drunk brother in-law, borrows (or more likely steals) my Subbie, leaves the lights on and crosses the jumper cables.... hopefully the bezel will ship soon!!

ITS IN! AND IT WORKS! we added the 2 additional pins to my JDM info center relocation harness extention, hooked everything up, and it worked!

we have 24 pair remaining, we will be selling the 2 extra pins with the wires on them to make your 7 pin JDM harness extender a 9 pin USDM compatible one. So far the price is $5 and shipping. We will include instructions on how to connect them into the terminals.

You can PM me if you are interested in these! I have paypal, and thats certainly what we prefer.

heres some pics of my now officially complete install :)

http://www.darkfox1.com/carputer/info1.jpg

http://www.darkfox1.com/carputer/info2.jpg

http://www.darkfox1.com/carputer/info3.jpg

http://www.darkfox1.com/carputer/info4.jpg

http://www.darkfox1.com/carputer/info6.jpg

haha, ok, well upwards of 20 pairs... um.. thats what we did, we added the 2 pins that make the 7 pin a 9 pin, basically we'd send you the extra 2 wires with the terminals already crimped on, and all you hafta do is take your existing 7 pin you got with the jdm info center relocation bracket from avo or wherever you managed to get it and "pop" these extra wires in, and hook it up.

okok, lemme back up, these 2 wires are for the jdm information center relocation bracket.. it moves the information center from the center cubby where my screen is now, to the ashrtay location. The problem is on 05 models the harness is too short to hook up easily and the kit that relocates the info center comes with an 18.5" extenstion that is only 7 pins, the usdm model needs9 pins or the airbag light comes on on the gauge cluster.What we have done here is added these 2 additional pins with some leg work and some skillz :p the info center relocation bracket can be purchased from http://www.avoturboworld.com and is about $187 usd shipped. We are offering the 2 exrta pins at $5 and shipping, we dont have any affiliation with subaru or avoturboworld, we're jut rtying to help some folks out who are in a similar situation.

man, i was hoping not to have to go that route w/ the info center, but right now, i just want to get this installed and my car put together! :( i may do it and if so, then i'll be needing those 2 extra pins.... I'll think about it this weekend... can you see the info from that spot ok? that's my big concern.

yup, looks great, I can see it all, in gear.. in park I cant see the time, but thats ok, its very easy to access, its not a bad spot at all.. he bright orange from the airbag indicator is kind of distracting at frist, but hey.. if you'reputting a 7" LCD screen in your car you're not worried about a little distraction from a new light source :p

yup, got a few of em assembled, will be typing the instructions tonight, hopefully will get them out next week for those of you who want em.. still have some left so if anyone wants em let us know..

btw any progress for those of you still workin on the projects? any PICZ???? :p

Archived