LegacyGT.com

Midinstall computer install in Subaru - ampie, m1-atx

foobark

hahaha, agreed, so long as the problem is gone, it doesn't matter to me, some of the people on the mp3car forum had been menioning crappy soundcards and cases and needing mulitple grounds and all kinds of crap, it sounded very complicated. The ground loop was a simple plug in fix. Before I was getting alt whine as well as noise from the harddrive and touchscreen. It was most annoying.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been thinking for those of you who are frustrated with the 7 pin harness deal, while I wait on a reply, should I not receive one or the person wishes not to sell his, I'm wondering if I could get 2 people besides myself to go in with me to buy another info center relocation bracket deal from AVO, yall could go in with me about $60 each, I could take the harness cut it up and ship those 2 people the 2 wires they need to add to their harness. Also if someone wanted the plastic trim and bracket that goes in the console they could have that too, as I wont be needing it.

whattyall think? AVO takes maybe a week or 2 to ship and once he does it got here pretty fast, so I dont think its a major hold up to do it this way.

oh yea, the $60 wouldn't include shipping, I was getting that by atking the 187 and dividing by 3 which was 62.3, I figured since all yall would be getting is the 2 pins on your harness the 2.30 wouldn't be nessecary and I'd be willing to take a little hit to get the wires myself. just to clarify.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

that's looking fantastic! i've been so insanely busy the past couple weeks, i've not really had much time to do this. instead, a friend who does a lot of custom work like that who's unemployed is going to help me do it all and build something to relocate the info center to the top of the car. I'm also looking at putting the GPS adapter behind the rearview mirror and running the wires along the head liner and down the pilar. I'll be installing my small portable DVD and USB hub in the glove box (making that ultimately unusable) but out of sight. my laptop however will be behind the passenger seat so i can easily reach the power button. i want to get this all done as soon as possible to i can put the car back together. right now it's all over the place. i also have a nice auto dim mirror w/ homelink controls to go in the car, but no time to do that one either.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

2 wires and 4 pins for $60... hmmm... I think I will attempt to locate some pins from allied electronics or tyco :( too bad they don't sell the connector itself. Is there a part number or manufacturer on the connector itself?

i think someone should make some and sell @ $10 each.

This Space For Rent

I agree the price is steep, I'd much rather not pay that much, but at any rate I'm willing to work with everyone here to try and get those pins/wires in.

BTW, about your car being apart, try to avoid having the lower console with the armrest in.. with the upper console trim peces in but no center peice/radio/woodgrain to support it, I dont imagine anyone will remove the radio for along time, but i rode around wiht my car in peices and it rattled 2 of the screws loose

oh and btw if you find those wires/harness pins and can make the 2 additional wires I'd be more than happy to buy a pair off ya.

can't you just splice some wires to make it longer? sure it won't look like stock wiring, but won't that be obvious just by having the screen there? i did that on my old car's stereo wiring. it was a PITA but a helluva lot cheaper than $60!

I'm using roadrunner with a modified alpine skin to have the subaru logo and stuff on it. I'm probablly going to change skins tho because due to location in the cubby and the colors used its hardto see it in the day, only the light colors show up very well, so I'm working on a gery/white daytime skin and a black/red/white nighttime skin hopefully that will work a little better.

I also dont like how small some of the buttons are, and where they're located on the screen, so I'm going to try to move them around and make them larger.

I seriously pondered splicing the factory setup for days and if I cannot find another option I guess I'll have to, but I did this whole projectw/o cutting or tapping a single factory wire, and I'd like to keep it that way.

And is it really that poor a job that you can obviously tell its not factory? what is it? the color? the texture? I wanted it to look factory when I started but I guess thats impossible

If you just want to extend the harness wires that aren't part of the kit, I'd remove the two pins in question from the original harness, extend them, and insert them into the end of the new harness. Yes, you've spliced 2 wires but they're easily reached and returned to stock if needed.

I've given up on looking bone stock too; I'm just too new to bondo & putty. Right now I'll be happy when it's just "installed".

If you just want to extend the harness wires that aren't part of the kit, I'd remove the two pins in question from the original harness, extend them, and insert them into the end of the new harness. Yes, you've spliced 2 wires but they're easily reached and returned to stock if needed.

I've given up on looking bone stock too; I'm just too new to bondo & putty. Right now I'll be happy when it's just "installed".

lol i hear you on just getting it installed ...

darkfox, how'd you remove the rear seats?

just like the old 60s cars, lift up in the front, push towards the back and down at the same time, then it comes right out.

Its suprisngly made of only foam rubber as best as I can tell lol ,I was expecting it to ahve some weight to it, if you can get a good grip you can easily remove it yourself.

back to the wiring harness issue lol, a friend of mine and I are working together with the company thatmakes our harnesses in an effort to get the pins we need, if that works out we are considering buying the crimper and selling the 2 additional wires to anyone who has the information center relocation bracket to cover the cost, let me know if you're interested so0 that we can see what kind of steps we need to take.

(until I get the harness fixed my cars riding around with an airbag light on, so I'm keepnig on the issue)

factory nav for 06s have buttons integrated into the panel and is a 6.5" screen rather than the 7", all in all, it wouldn't fit.

no part #s or anything on the terminals, its terrible, I'm not talking about building a whole 'nother kit, just.. supplimenting those who bought the kit or are thinking about buying the kit but dont like this 2 few wires thing.

Hey - I haven't posted in a while... because, well, I'm just smitten with my cap pc. Right after I had done all the work to get it installed I was way too critical.

But now the gps has saved me from sitting in a couple traffic jams... and browsing the web while waiting to pick up the wife is just a giggle.

Here's a little update. The touch screen doesn't really cut it while driving (or even when still without a stylus), and the wireless mouse needs surface space to move... so here is tonight solution to that problem:

Just today, I found an old keyboard with a touch pad in it that someone was throwing away. I hacked it out and slid it into one of those belt clips for a cellphone. It look a lot of "coercion" but it fits perfect now.

I can clip it on my seat belt or what not.

Anyone have an idea of how I can sell the idea to a manufacture?

"Patent Tending" :)

http://www.slowburn.net/Subaru/touchpad/thumbnails/img_0062.jpg

http://www.slowburn.net/Subaru/touchpad/thumbnails/img_0057.jpg

http://www.slowburn.net/Subaru/touchpad/thumbnails/img_0058.jpg

http://www.slowburn.net/Subaru/touchpad/thumbnails/img_0061.jpg

good idea you have there, I have found that enabling the single click mode on xp helps considerablly, as well as making everything HUGE... that of course is a problem with some software as their buttons wont fix correctly.. they wont get larger.. as such.. yes driving with those settings are harder, what I have been doing is pulling over if I need to make fine adjustments. As far as driving, all I need when doing so is to change tracks in audio which I do with ease with my new roadrunner skin consistring of simple HUGE buttons and text. (I call it "simple skin" heh) its silver and white during the day.. black and red at night, my friends say its boring.. but my friends dont have to drive and look at this during the day so I am loving my new skin.

So far GPS hasn't been working for me in a NEED fashion.. more of a conveniance thing. I just got back from a party and the GPS helped me not make the wrong turn that I always make heh.

how are you inet surfing? wifi? or some sort of wireless broadband? or cellphone for dialup? it seems those others would be too expensive to use..

I doubt anyone would want to.. but if you find someone who never uses the heated seats.. putting that touchpad in there would be PERFECT.. for those who do, the belt clip is very cool, although I dont think I'll be needing one, just one more thing to worry about I'm afraid.

btw, anyone interested in adding those 2 pins to the harness? forget the $60 thing I was talking about earlier.. heh, no 100% certainty yet.. but I MAY have a soltuion for about 20 people or so...

i have a gyration mouse, it moves in the air and requires no surface area. i still don't have the screen installed, but got most of the wiring done. i have my clearwire modem mounted in the back so i can see reception, the wifi router hooked to that and a direct LAN connection to the port replicator. unfortunately, where i was planning to mount the laptop and replicator won't work so now i need to figure out a different way. guess i should have done that before we ran all the wires! but i did get the front and rear 3 12v splitters installed to a switch that runs directly off the battery. this way I can leave it on and turn it off as i like. it's a red illuminated switch that's hard to miss if left on... i'll get some pics later as i figure out placement of the laptop. how much are the actual car pc's? i may end up going that route afterall.... or getting another IBM laptop to do the trick. :(

my ampie was right at about $800, 1.3ghz 512 ram, 100gb hd 90w psu, case, no cdrom.

you sound like you're doing some pretty complicated stuff there heh, personally.. the carputer project is complicated enough.. I told my friends after doing it that it was way more work than reward.. however. .I'd still do it again. My project in total was maybe $2300 start to finish.

I used a relay and a very small pilot light swtich (the kind that mounts with double sided tape so I wouldn't have to drill any huge holes) in my glovebox. I can tell the 5v signal is still on by the blue glow from the GPS antenna.. if I turn the car off.. my carputer shuts down softly after 30 minutes of having no 12v signal from the remote. Its all very automated. The only "bug" in that is if I use the GPS and dont save changes, then when the carputer tries to shut down it says "save changes?" and then says "end process?" and will sit indefinatley waiting for user intervention.. an easy work around.. just turn it off heh

we use gyrations in our offices because of their size, they're very nice but they tend to interfere with one another if you have them close together. its still a good single user product tho, as with most wireless however, you can never expect it to be perfect. Personally.. the touch screen is fine... I dunno what everyone else is trying to do with theirs heh

btw, anyone interested in adding those 2 pins to the harness? forget the $60 thing I was talking about earlier.. heh, no 100% certainty yet.. but I MAY have a soltuion for about 20 people or so...

Yes, please! :)

ok, I'll have more on that soon :p hopefully very soon, I'm sick of riding around with my airbag light on.. and I think w/o the info center my cars been enjoying the gas too much lol, its been getting poor mileage since the ecu reset.. has to re-learn and I dont know my mileage or the outside temp w/o my info center! argh!

btw I made a new skin for my carputer, just as a mention to all you wokring that may not have put your screen in the cubby yet.. the angle fo the cubby coupled with its location makes it an unfortunatley poor area for avoiding daylight.. as such visibility is down.. I recommend a skin thats very simple with very large buttons and lots of light colors to help you read it during the day.

Heres some pictures of my current skin day/night most people tell me its boring.. but it looks rather low key almost an OEM style and matches quite well.. the red and black is coupled with white text. it allows me to have a still bright and readable yet non distracting screen on at night. also I made some important improvements so that I can change tracks while using gps :p

1.jpg.40ef7ace7ac31667a6bc2f79db509b36.jpg

2.jpg.86b34e3ea6a71552e147e154a2d4f9df.jpg

I got my information panel relocation kit in the mail today. After you cut the pieces so that they all fit, how did you secure the panel to the dash piece? The screw holes don't line up at all... On one side you could cut the metal and plastic to make it align, but the other side doesn't look as promising.

I did a test fit using gaffers tape to hold the panel to the dash (with the tape wrapped around the front since it is only a test). It sure will look nice once I get it secured correctly. :)

As an aside, I _think_ I can actually connect the stock wire up to the panel. It is hard to say until I actually secure the panel since the tape has some more play to it than a screw would.

well, the assembly of the console is what really makes putting the connector on the challenge. Yes, you probablly can connect the harness.. but how do you plkan to get it out should you need to? My answer was. ."you cant" from looking at it heh. Also make sure you put your radio back in before you try and connect it as the radio pushes the cable backard a few inches.

The holes didn't line up, we had to drill both of them into ovals, we drilled one towards the center, and the other towards the outside both the metal peice and the plastic. We did this by sort of eyeballing it, its actually quite forgiving, we took a drill in one hand with the drill bit on it, and ran the metal and plastic peices one at a time up and down the drill bit with the other hand stopping every now and then to check it. The whole modification of the peice took maybe an hour, and that was working very slowly and checking it often.

For cutting the peice we used a dremel with a grinding disk and pretty much stuck to the whiteout lines. We also had to hoever grind down a little bit of one of the sides that stick inward on the stock usdm lower console trim so that it would rest better against it. This wont be a problem when putting the ashtray back in I do not beleive as it simply stabalizes it when mounting.

I've already read through a couple of those "console relocation" threads, but is there a reason why the cable couldn't be spliced and lengthened? I thought you had mentioned you would do that at one point darkfox - but then there was all this talk of harnesses and usdm vs. jdm connections...

darkfox1 -> Thanks. I figured as much, but wanted to check to make sure. Also, agreed on the cable. I haven't really verified it yet. I'll be able to once I get it all put together for real.

foobark -> We're all just trying to avoid hacking up the internal wiring. Absolutely no reason that won't work.

exactly.. I got SO CLOSE to hacking the wiring.. and my hand just wouldn't let me do it.. I mean so far this install has been so anti-hack and chop free the car doesn't feel.. violated.. like some modifications make you feel heh

a friend of mine and I are still working on getting the 2 additional pins to put in the harness, and if/when taht works out (most likley WHEN) we'll most likley be able to provide those 2 extra pins to as many people as we can. Hes not sure how hard its gonna be to crimp the pins into the wires.

Essentially.. we managed to contact and order the extra pins for both ends, we ordered 50 pair as it is my undertanding (he did it, not me heh) and then we're gonna try and find some oem wire.. GW and YG I think are the 2 missing wires, and then make th ewires, feed em through my harness's sleeve and hopefully they'll click right in. If that works then the remaining pairs we'll be able to sell with the wire already on it to whoevers interested and you should be able to plug n play like the japanese guys :p

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8712696954&ssPageName=Action:MPS

this is what I ended up getting. It's windows 2000 Pro that I'll most likely upgrade to XP since most of my programs run better off XP. It should do the trick I'm hoping.... :) and I can have the 10" screen to mount in the trunk which I was going to do later....

wow that guys camera is horrible

stats wise its a little out dated.. but you're not going to be playing quake4 or anything on it right? hehe mines a 1.3 and you know the basic features of mp3 gps and inet browsing all work just fine on it. I would recommend that you upgrade taht cpu tho before you go to xp.. it'll CRAWL at 500mhz on xp.. speaking from experience :p

A lot of my customers want to be up to date.... without being up to date heh, so we've intalled xp licenses on computers that are way too old before to have it. most of the time the extra HD activity on the aging system just pushes it over the edge and makes it die faster.

otherwise, from what I can tell from the pics, it looks good.. and it has a cdrom! which is more than I can say for mine.

well, he is upgrading it to XP for me already. I can see about upgrading it to 1.2 ghz, but it's not really a huge priority. I have a DVD player in the glove box so I can easily get to it, this will be for the GPS, playing MP3's, outlook, etc. For the basics, I'd think the 500 mhz would be OK for now. I had a Dell laptop that was 600 mhz with XP and sure it was a little slow, but not really that bad at all.

Archived