LegacyGT.com

Midinstall computer install in Subaru - ampie, m1-atx

foobark

well, i saw the 7" xenarc touch screen with flip down vga monitor. i want to mount that onto the dash so that it will open UP and not down. if anyone has this monitor, will the display allow your to mirror it 180*? or can i remove the LCD from the bezel and remount it??
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes you could do it that way, just atke the screen apart and turn the LCD panel over I imagine isall it takes, the only problem I forsee are the ribbon cables that interface with the butons gettingin the way.

You can read emails on it, the picture is incerdible, it runs pretty much any resolution you throw at it and auto stretches it to the widescreen format. I'm running 800x600 on mine cos the EPIA doesn't support the native, and I dont want to flash the bios to make it do it. I was expecting standard Svideo level appearance on this screen for some reason, as such I was very impressed with its quality.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

well i just received my xenarc flip down touch screen. I was hoping it would have a little more instructions for installing, but it looks like it's just a 12 v power and ground. after taking the shroud apart and flipping the screen around (with much hassle rearranging the wiring and boards) I'm trying to figure out how to mount this on the dashboard and run the wires. :( how is everyone else??

projects going great, I'm ready to install, waiting on AVO to get the info relocation bracket to me and then it'll be ready, I'm trying to arrange an install party among my local freidns for the weekend after next.

Everything has worked on the bench..

oh.. and a word for those of you who may not be far enough along to test for this, if you plan to mount the carputer in the trunk, please note itr will be difficult to run the USB.. I am using a 10' USB X-cable and the 6' cable that comes with the monitor.. which as you know is the longest usb can be and still work.. and its JUST long enough, I mean I think the connection of the 2 cables will be in the kick panel on the side of the car the cables are being ran.. its that short. I would recommend 15' cables if you are doing a trunk mount.

My screen is mounted to the modified stock cubby bezel, we used silicone :( I dont like that but its the only way.. turns out this space and a xenarc is VERY tight horizontally and vertically.. it just does fit with the silicone in there.

As far as mnounting your screen to the dash.. w/o ruining the dash?? no answers for you sorry :(

OH.. and as a note.. your screen did it come with a cig lighter power unit? if so you can just use the cig lighter in the ash tray and relocate it, especially if you dont smoke, its accessory and 12v.. so it will only come on with the car, so it should work great.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

no, it doesn't have a cig adapter. it's too bad because it'd make it so much easier! lol. but i think i'm going to have sedberry install the LCD to the dash display and send it back to me. the next issue will be where to place the clock. reading the various threads on ashtray relocation, it may not work out. thinking of maybe putting it on top of the dash. not sure how, but that way i don't have to worry about cables not reaching or having the correct harness.

well, I have mine on order, if you like I'll take lots of pics of the attempt at the installation of said assembly. After reading and re-reading and re-reading and re-0reading the guys isntall page there, despite the fact he wont post pics or further explain his isntallation.. it does not souind like it is as bad as it was initially thought to be. I beleive we can make it work by modifying the bracket and not the info. center.. cos I dont wanna hack on that.

my screen install is sort of based on sebberry's, but its not exactly the same. I would take pics but well.. I like making yall sweat hehehe, plus theres not much to photograph right now, just a bunch of wires and some half assembled stuff.

lol. well if i knew how to fiberglass and weld, then i'd be working on this myself for a more custom job. i like the touch controls on the xenarc so it'd be nice to figure a way to make use of them. however, the cubby doesn't look like it leaves a whole lot of room. i'll still need to relocate the info center but am thinking of moving that up to the top of the dash vs the ashtray area.

reading through the threads over and over again, it doesn't look that difficult, but time consuming. that's the part i don't have right now. i still have to wire in my 12 v splitters and switch to control them, haven't done it for the past few weeks even though it's relatively simple. i just don't have time right now. job requires 9 am - 9 pm right now, not much time to do much else including wrench on the car. (which, btw, is one of my fave things to do... and one of the things my hubby wishes i wouldn't do) lol.

sometimes I feel that way, I work as often as I can, that can be 8-10-12 hours a day, or sometimes just 1-2, so sometimes.. more money than time.. others.. more time than money.. I work for a service company so unless our customers are having problems or buying new equiptment, we dont erally have much to do cept look for new custmoers to expand the base, which is difficult cos I'm always running out of business cards!!

I dont work weekends either, usually.... so thats my time to get all this done, working on proejcts during the week is almost unheard of.

I'm HOPING we can get this entire install done in a weekend, saturday and sunday all day, it needs to be rolling monday and I need it friday too. I've done a lot of preliminary stuff that i can do in slacks.. like mounting the carputer itself, and making sure the wires reach, getting those connected and lined up, and general poking around in the interior, the most time consuming parts of my install wil be ofcourse taking everything apart, modifying the radio and ash tray, and putting it all back together.

I'm fabrication retarded lol, so I never try to do that stuff myself, I'm never happy with my own work.

and a few more! The carputer is mounted to a peice of hard board, the screws go in from behind on the seat side and then nuts hold it together, the peice of wood is just painted a flat black. The wood is actually held to the back of the center fold down peice with (beleive it or not) 1 side of the velcro you can buy at lowes, apparently this carpet holds onto velcro so tight it will rip the velcro off the hard boar dlong before it disconnects from the carpet. Its been in the trunk for 2-3 days now of normal driving and temp. conditions.

carputer1.jpg.0707d44f8a1bb994134737213b35683a.jpg

carputer2.jpg.f0c94d4cb0322317a3af0fef36d19913.jpg

carputer3.jpg.9c653bd2e38853c3a24cef9092886ade.jpg

very nice indeed! :) i think i'm just going to put my laptop and port replicator in the cargo area behind the passenger seat. this way i can reach the power button on the port replicator itself. :) i'm short so it has to be close by. since i have a lmtd, there is no space under the passenger seat to slide the laptop either.

great job btw! looking great! :)

I havent ran the wires yet, I'm actually looking at that all day yesterday and perhaps some today. I've been studying the assembly manual and looking at pictures of stereo installs trying to find the best route. So far I haven't found any answers on that.

As far as a shut down controller, the M1 ATX has one sort of integrated into it. If you turn off the remote line, the psu does a soft shutdown on the computer within 30 minutes. (its jumpable to like 15 seconds 30 seconds or 30 minutes.. I wanted 15 but no such option) and I'm going to have a relay based emergency switch on the main power line, for when I come home in the afternoons or when I'm going to be somewhere for hours and dont want to wait. I can shut it down manually as well, but as the website says it continues to use a tiny bit of power that could eventually drain the battery. Hopefully I wont forget that heh, I imagine I could rig up an emergency switch, but for now I'm not going to spend a lot of time on that part.

OH.. and as far as ignition trigger.. the cigarette lighter in the ashtray is PERFECT for that.. I'm going to use it to power my screen as well as tap it for my remote turn on for the carputer, unless I find some contradicition to the testing I've done with this idea.

I had planned to run the signal wires up the passenger side, and the power wire down the driver side door jambs. I dont know whats under the jambs, that VGA cable is kind of large. The only thing I've ran into is the usb cable is a bit short, I'm using 15' everything except the usb which is 10 since the xenarc has a 6' cable on its end, dont want to exceed the 16' usb supposedly runs.

I was hoping to do all this in a weekend, but the more I look at whats still unknown.. the less sure I am about that, if I can do this in stages that'd be great, but I dont know what kind of stages I can do when I have to be torn into the dash for the whole install.

In my Integra, I ran the power along the driver's side door jam and everything else straight up the middle of the car under the carpet and along side of the center console. I'm assuming I'll do the same thing in the LGT.

up the middle? you know you have to take all the seats out, all the console stuff, unhook the shifter and the e-brake and remove all the carpet to do that right?

trdvibe, I've just been looking at pictures people took of their stereo installs, but I think theres some instructions somewhere..

up the middle? you know you have to take all the seats out, all the console stuff, unhook the shifter and the e-brake and remove all the carpet to do that right?

trdvibe, I've just been looking at pictures people took of their stereo installs, but I think theres some instructions somewhere..

I believe that if you remove the seats only, you'll have enough play in the carpet to pull the wires through. You should be able to lift up the carpet where it hits the trunk to feed the wires through on that end. There should be enough room in the opening for the vents under the seat to get your arm in to maneuver the cabling the rest of the way.

This is what I did in my Integra and my quick look around the LGT makes me comfortable it will be no more difficult.

yea.. but still.. then you gotta take all that out if you decide to gut this stuff out of the car. I just know with my trend of cars in 08 this whole project could be for sale on the board cos I might be selling the car by then, I dont like to do mods that I can't put the car back to stock.

Sebberry, thats re-assuring, as the kick panel ther is where I want to make my connections.

Do the side peices (silver/woodgrain ones) clip on? or are there screws? seems liek someone somewhere said remove the console and the e-brake boot to get to a screw that holds them in?? I'm nervous about this part as I do not wish to damage the parts "let all the factory air out of them" as my dad likes to say.

If this stuff was easy to do I would go ahead and do things in segments.. remove the radio one day and mod it for the aux. in, put the screen in and run the wires to the side, stuff like that. I can't do all of this in a weekend, theres too much.. removal and reassembly for that.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE! Installs 99% done yall, just a few minor bugs to work out and it should be ready to go. I'm actually in a working condition currently.

Heres a few pics and a basic walkthrough of what I did:

I started out by buying a replacement cubby trim from subaruparts.com and then send it to a local dude to have it modified and fiberglass'd for the xenarc screen. It came back like this:

http://www.darkfox1.com/carputer/1.jpg

I then painted it with a plastic spray paint like stuff that was the closest mtch I could find to fit and feel to the factory black/rubber surface on the oem peices. I found the stuff at lowes. I sprayed it with a few coats of the stuff and then mounted the screen from behind with black silicone. It's VERY tight for side to side mounting, so you gotta be very careful, beleive me we exhausted our efforts trying to do it another way, silicone was the only way we could do it. But it was black silicone so.. it blends well. Also, we used electrical tape to bind the touchscreen overlay to the LCD panel itself since the xenarc's touchscreen panel floats on top of the LCD.

http://www.darkfox1.com/carputer/2.jpg

The next step was to order the info. center relocation panel from AVO. This came in in a good time and we inspected it and marked some spots with whiteout where it needed to be dremel'd to fit into the usdm console.

http://www.darkfox1.com/carputer/3.jpg

As you can see from the pic below, there are 2 "shelf" peices in the console that are of course mirror'd to how the info center relocation bracket is, so we actually trimmed the tallest one of these down a bit as well as opening the other side up on the jdm peice so that it would fit. this will not mess up how the factoey cig lighter assembly fits in, these seem to be just in here for stability.

http://www.darkfox1.com/carputer/4.jpg

This if course was all in a few months so dont think I did all this in a weekened lol.

The next step (and I havce no pics of this) was to install JazzyMT's aux. input into the radio. This was very easy to do and worked great! Thanks again for this peice JazzyMT.

After that, I tore down the car, more than I'd care to admit, I removed radio, glovebox, full upper and lower console, look up the thread about changing the cabin air filter, and you will see what all I did. We started after that, by removing the back seat. Note the assembly manual pages I printed out to have handy while doing all this :p

http://www.darkfox1.com/carputer/5.jpg

This is the mess I had in the car for wires, they were all in here just to get a feel for the volume of wires we had to work with, ignore the chic-fil-a bag :p this was taken earlier before I had a chance to clean it out. Chicken biscuits make a great breakfast

http://www.darkfox1.com/carputer/6.jpg

This is my messy but informative picture of how the wires are tentativley ran, note this isn't a final product, but this clearly shows you where I grounded the carputer, a small bolt just underneath the carpet. The wires were a mess. I ran them through the gap between the bottom and back of the seat.

http://www.darkfox1.com/carputer/7.jpg

Inside the car, I had WAY too long a cables for this, I used 15' VGA and 10' everything else, I recommend using probablly 10' or less length cables for your project if you are mounting where I am. Using even 10' will giev you a LOT of extra cable if you run them the same way I did.

http://www.darkfox1.com/carputer/8.jpg

The more I worked on this car the more it reminded me of a japanese puzzle game.. and a zip file. The car has no extra space for ANYTHING! its exhaustingly tight. As such we ran the wires through the center under the carpet. The run is so very short a fishing line and some patience is all it took. Here is a pic of all the wires ran together under the console along the same wire as the main console harness. Please not I know its against policy for power wire to run so close to RCA. But seeing as how the carputer is a 10a 90w unit that runs on 16 gauge wire, and having a ground at the rear, I did not think it was nessecary.

http://www.darkfox1.com/carputer/9.jpg

Another picture of the wiring. It's so messy but its hard not to, we have VGA usb 2 sets of RCAs and 2 sets of power wire (cos we used a relay) running back through this tiny space.

http://www.darkfox1.com/carputer/10.jpg

Removing the high mount stop light and dremeling a small U shaped dent in one side of it, we were able to fish the GPS antenna wire through the rear deck and set it as pictured with only 1 side of a velcro strip.

http://www.darkfox1.com/carputer/11.jpg

And heres the finished pics, I'll take some more, as you can probablly tell from some of them, the lower console is still out.

http://www.darkfox1.com/carputer/12.jpg

http://www.darkfox1.com/carputer/13.jpg

http://www.darkfox1.com/carputer/14.jpg

Nice work darkfox. That looks awesome! Hopefully I can get up the guts to replace my cubby with that setup eventually.
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

well, I forgot to mention while typing that up that even after using that ground, and trying severeal other grounds, I had a strange ground loop type noise that would not go away. This would have lead me to beleive it was the RCAs running along the same lone as the power, however bypassing the RCAs did not fix it, so I do not think there is any reason to be worried about running them like this.

I wound up having ot use a ground loop isolator inline with the RCAs at least for now, it 100% fixed the problem and despite some peoples arguments.. made the quality increase.

You can probablly see in one of the pics that I haven't put the info center back in yet. This is because unless I have that X-men chick's powers to walk through walls.. I'm not gonna be able to connect the factory harness simply because of th way things are laid out, the wires long enough to connect.... if it were already assembled.

As such I have inquired from someone on here, as well as a friend of mine, to try and find either another one of these extention harnesses to cannibalize 2 pins out of (I would give the other sets of pins to whoever wanted them if I obtained a full 7 pin harness, you can simply click the extra 2 pins into your JDM harness and it would work.. that is if I can get ahold of one) my friend is trying to contact the harness makers and trying to get a "free sample" of their terminal pins. Good luck huh?

I also had to use a ground loop isolator - I couldn't for the life of me find a ground that would help.

I think actually the problem for darkfox and I is the "AMPIE" case itself. That's just a crackpot theory though, because now that I have the GLI in I just don't care because it worked :)

Archived