LegacyGT.com

Midinstall computer install in Subaru - ampie, m1-atx

foobark

I have to be honest, after I started this thread and saw some of the embedded screens I had a little bit of screen envy... so much so that I played around with a couple of ideas about disassembling (johnny 5 style) my screen and mounting it in statically.

But then, I wavered because a) one of my friends said that the sound and motion of the screen popping out was the most superficially impressive thing about the whole set up (and I had to agree)... and b) because I can push a button and adjust the tilt to a pretty dramatic degree so direct sunlight doesn't effect me.

So I'm happy I didn't succumb to the temptation of the cool people. :)

Functional since the beginning and loving the computer in my car.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
some of the guys on mp3car have been working on a backlight upgrade for the 700 series xenarc, but its a long way coming.

has it been 2 yrs yet? :lol::lol:

This Space For Rent

well, the day we had it in the dash it wasn't very sunny. There will be a lot of differnet light conditions that I'll need to test with but overall my assumption is that unless the xenarc is signifigantly less.. bright.. (really bad grammar there) than the factory screen, it should be as visible as a factory screen.

obviously the farther back in the dash you mount it the better visibility you'll have. If you look at the factory nav in most every luxury vehicle, infinity, lexus bmw mercedes, acrua (mainly the RL) you'll see that theres usually a visor much like the gauge cluster visor molded into the dash to allow the screen maximum visibility and glare prevention. Since we dont have that, we're somewhat limited.

The design problem we ran into again will be a problem unless we use the outside points of the screen to hold it. One of the things you find very quickly with a resistive touchscreen like this is that ANYTHING that touches it can throw off the pointer, and if too many things touch it all at once, the fuse blows and/or the touchscreen controller's solder points start to smoke. I guess that comes with the territory. So what we're going to have to do is basically making a trim bezel that covers the area that wont be visible through the dash, yet does not support the screen from there, the screen must be supported from the outside edges like the xenarc factory housing. I'm still uncertain if we'll be able to use foam insulation or some other trim if there winds up being a gap. I'm fairly certain however that we can get it close enough that it wont be a problem.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I agree, thats odd that it would be inaccurate, it has to be one of those, if I had to guess it'd be calibration. Mine was so accurate before I broke the thing that I could use a bic #2 push button pencil end to click really small buttons on the screen. I called it my "ghetto stylus" heh
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

is there some reaosn the upgrade woudln't work on a xenarc? or they couldnt do it? from what I gather after reading reviews and complains on the mp3car site, xenarc > lilliput in quality and longevity.

wow, just watched the video, amazing difference, just what we need, I'm gonna talk to my phase II guys and see what the measurement differenences are for the physical screen size.

Ideally our "phase II" bezel will be able to fit anything thats close to the right size. We're leaving notches fro the 4 wire (top) and 5 wire (side) resistive touchscreen overlay ribbon cables on the Xenarcs, from the looks of that pic its still a 4 wire or simply has a 5 wire top mount ribbon, which shoudln't be a problem. That guy managed to easily ft the screen int he same opening as his xenarc which tells me that the LCD should be the same physical size, if that is the case, we should have no problem making this upgraded screen fit. I'm on this like white on rice lol

well, I have been reading on mp3car all day about transreflective upgrades and I found THIS:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75398

But I am still debating which would be the better desicion. On one hand the phase II is under way using a xenarc, on the other, the measurements of the liliput do not seem signifigantly different.

Perhaps if I had some funding I could find out which is the better route as I have a feeling after seeing the video and pictures of a transreflective, everyone here is going to want one in place of their current or future considerations.

Thanks, welcome to the thread!

If you have any questions, we're here for you :)

It will be a while before I pursue this venture. I still have to redeploy to Germany athen move from there to the states. So, like I said, a while. Plus I have alot of posts to read in there still. :icon_bigg

ya, i'm just gonna use what i have, but will most likely end up having one of the local custom shops work something out for me. can i just take off the touchscreen portion? it's kinda scratched anyways.. :(
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Has anyone on the thread wired up something like an M1/M2-atx or Opus power supply for their carputer in the Legacy as yet ? or is everyone using inverters ?

Got an M2-atx and just need some general info on the best way to wire it and use features like the amp delay etc.

I have an m1-atx, its wired on a relay that pulls power directly from the battery and is switched through an accessory wire thats switched, so when the cars on, the carputer is told to turn on, unless the switch is off, then it wont. This was also nessecary because the m1 pulls power all the time, and I didnt want creeping battery death, although it wouldn't be any worse than the cars natural power drain I imagine, better safe than sorry.

I dont have any amps or anything so I havent used the remote signal feature that it has. I have the delay set to 30 minutes. It only has like 5 seconds, 10 second, or 30 minutes. I dont recall the jumper setting snow, but I was really hoping for 15 minutes originally. 30 has been fine however, for short trips inside a store or something I leave it on, but if I know I'l be a while I go ahead and manually turn it off.

• 1 month later...

I have been using ms streets and trips 06 but found that my version has a memory leak that makes it lock up after about 3 hours of driving. I've since then switched to mappoint which works the same but costs a little more. It has a lot of features tho, most of them which I dont use :(

I have a skin that works with both of theses (you just open the skin file in notepad and change the program name) that has a few buttons on it, I can show you a pic and paste contents tomorrow sometime if you like. I found it on someone else's skin though, and adapted it to my own :p

hasnt done me any good though since the screens been out for phase 2.

This is what I'm working with currently.

I plan the trips ahead of time on my computer, because you know exacting directions are hard to make in the car, even with a wireless keyboard.

So.. the car logo which is kinda goofy looking opens the GPS navigation pane I think (its been a while now so I dont remember :( ) and of course the moon toggles to night skin (in streets and trips it goes form day to night and back to day, but in mappoint it only goes day to night, at least thats what I remember) and then of course zoom in and out at the top.

ss.jpg.33ec156b0de44bb901f5038dc922f1ec.jpg

Archived