LegacyGT.com

Midinstall computer install in Subaru - ampie, m1-atx

foobark

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

glad to hear they worked out for you! It's amazing how something as simple as 2 wires can throw off a project huh? I definatley would like to thank sirhecubus for his leg work on this one.

Honestly after having the info center down there, I'm starting to get used to it there, I think I like it, my eyes dont naturally dart up to the cubby space anymore for time or temp. (or fuel econ) and they're actually in kind of a conveniant spot, easier to read while in gear than the climate control I'd say.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

darkfox1 (and anyone else who cares to chime in),

Where did you pull always-on 12V power from? I'd rather not go to the battery since it is overkill for the power the car computer will draw. My two current thoughts are tapping into a fuse in the driver's side box (although I haven't found a useful one yet) or tapping into the radio harness (pin 6).

Thanks.

Since I was back there anyway - I just used the radio's always-on. Partly because I liked the idea of having that stuff on the same fuse. If that went out, I wouldn't have to worry about anything else working in order to drive.

And also all my wiring is in the same place - the switch to turn it on, the fm modulator, the screen, and the wires headed to the back for the computer.

well the longest part of my install was walking around the ca rturning things on and off, staring at the fuse panel, trying to find another way, since we couldn't find a good place to go through the firewall for battery power. After maybe 3 hours tho.. we ran it through the firewall with a LOOONG puller wire since the ECU grommet comes through behind the a/c. I guess on a jdm car this gormmet is PERFECT.

ran this to a relay in the back and switched it in the glovebox. I gotta do some wire cleanup in my trunk, the mounting place is great but my wires are WAY too long (I got 10'ers and they were like.. 2x too long, I bundled them up under the rear seat (you cant feel em) but theres still overhang in the trunk

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I ran my wires this morning. The only problem I have is that I didn't realize that the cigaratte lighter was ignition and not accessory, so I'll eventually want to rewire to something else. All in all, running the cabling was easier than I expected. I didn't need to remove either of the front seats, which saved me some effort.

heh, yea sorry I took so long, my main reason for not tapping anything was I didn't know the stock load put on the system by the radio, if my carputer pulls 90w and a max of 10a I didnt know/want to find out if that would blow a fuse on the deck. I wanted it to be seperatley powered.

sorry, I could have warned you, all the cig lighters heated seats radio a/c system etc. etc. are ignition based. I recommend using the cig lighter you deleted when you installed the info center to power your screen, thats what I did.. sorta.. I actually took the screw off the back of it, and used my own ring terminals and small bolts to put my own mountable cig lighter in the glovebox, that way its all plug in, no factory wire splicing at all.

travlas are nice cases, very well made from what I've seen, I got real close to buying one, but when I added up all my costs, it was going to run me more than the ampie setup from mp3car, so thats why I got it. Although having the space for a cdrom would have been wonderful.. having to copy mp3s via wifi is KILLING ME!! I have to drive into the grass of the front yard to sync my music :( but that will change with phase 2! unless something is awry during the process

Everything on that circuit is always-on equipment, so I'm thinking that the radio actually uses the ACC line for it's normal power draw. Guess I'll see. :)

I used the cigaratte cabling too, although I just cut it up since I'm not too concerned about it. I can always get a new one if I want. I'll probably eventually move it to ACC so I can leave the computer running when I'm pumping gas and the like. That is how I had it setup in my old car.

I liked the look of the ampie, but I really wanted the space of the Travla case. Truth be told, if I knew I could mount the ampie like you did I would have gone with it. Very slick...

sebberry -> I'm going to mount the case in the trunk on the back of the seat.

thanks heh, it was easier than it looks tho, its just held on with velcro.. it turns out you can buy this velcro at lowes that one side of bonds with the power of a god to our factory carpetting on the rear deck and trunk.

yea the m1-atx has a jumper setting for auto power off after 30 minues of a.. well what I could call "a 0 ping" on the remote line, but some people get confused when I say ping so I've tried to stop saying it.. what I mean is when the remote line detects no voltage the psu waits 30 minutes then powers down. The ONLY bug in this is if I live a program open that wants to save changes, then it says "do you want to save changes?" and hangs indefinatley.

for weekends and weeknight and all day parking, I have a relay with a switch in the glovebox for cutting the 5v signal, its not a huge draw but every little bit helps extend battery life ya know.

my friends have all told me the same thing "I didn't think it was worth all the money you spent until I played games on it" heh, I have some emulators of my favorite old school games, they play those while we're waiting for table at a steakhouse or something, and they're hooked.

I only play games while waiting on classes (I go to college part time and parking is a pain so I get there like 2 hours early) and its ok, my main reason was for mp3s and GPS tho.

So you have it set to 30 minutes before goes into standby and no shutdown unless you hit the switch (or the m1-atx senses the battery is low)?

I'm thinking of starting with 5 sec to standby and never shutdown, although my goal is to setup my system with EWF and HORM (http://mason.gmu.edu/~sfiorito/eXPinstall.htm) so that I can just do a hard shutdown and have it resume from hibernation in the same place each time.

no it does a 30 minute soft shutdown, never standby, the relay is to cut the 5v draw that it ALWAYS gets so long as it's connected. you'll notice (if you use the m1) that your usb accessory lights stay on when the pc is off, cos its still getting that 5v.

road runner resumes playing my last song at the spot it was shut off at, so I haven't had a problem with having to hibernate it, the only thing that I'd really lose is things like games and GPS. the movies and such resume also, which.. I dont really watch movies on it so thats not a problem anyway.

that guys article looks very handy, although my carputer boots from off to playing music in 1 full minute, which I tolerate, but I haven't done ANYTHING to speed it up cept turn off the xp theme and disable little effects. spooler service messenger all that crap is still on in services. It hasn't been a real issue. I might do it later tho, every little bit helps.

Thanks for the article! that could be real helpful, I'll mark it for later.

A note on mounting your carputer on the arm rest however, I just had to replace a wire for my headphone jack because the rather scrunched placement fo the wires based on the length of the ampie case and opening/closing the armrest too many times resulted in a wire breaking. If at all possible for those of you planning to mount your carputer in this location, mount it as high up on the armrest as possible, you can even overlap the plastic trim at the top a little, wish I would have done that part. I might wind up ultimatley getting some kind of 90 degree adapters (if I can find any) to fix this.

anyone know wher I can get VGA USB and headphone jack 90 degrees?? I've tried googling it wich no luck.

ah.. ok. My old shutdown controller would do a hard shut after a certain amount of time. I suppose it isn't a big deal since the M1-ATX shuts down if the battery goes <11V, but I might go ahead and put in a switch anyway. I was planning to put one in on the ACC line so I could force it to not start up, but I suppose the constant line works just as well.

One minute is quite a long time. My old car computer was around 25 seconds w/o hibernation and I didn't really do much to tune it down.

BTW... here are some options for you:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=SP-SPSC-5

http://www.globalvideoconf.com/Page_016.pdf (mentions they have right angled vga cables)

I also found a nice VGA cable at Microcenter that has a very thin cable, so it can do a tight bend. Not sure if you want to drive into Atlanta just to look, but it is an option...

My plan is to mount my computer on the drivers side with the cables pointing towards the passenger side. This will allow me plenty of room to maneuver the cables. It'll also allow me to reach through the pass-through to fiddle with them.

thanks for the links, yea thats a good idea. Mounting it on the center peice made accessing the computer easier from sitting in the back seat, but had the drawback of squishing the cables, or..if you mounted it the other way, having wires in the way and pulling up dust/anything else fromthe trunk floor with the fan. ugh.. I'm getting sick, all I had to do was talk to John M in PM and I caught his cold! lol my nav. trim bezel is supposed to get here friday, I'm looking forward to seeing it! ya know a friend of mine told me when I started this project that I should be careful not to get over involved in it, cos its a real money pit, heh, he had a carputer and got out of it cos he was always donig SOMETHIGN to make it better. I see what he meant now lol, I only use probablly 1/10th or less of waht this thing is capable of, and I have lots of stuff I plan to impliment. (mostly little things like those 90 degree adapters)

back to the display install, now that I've taken it apart, I have a better perspective on what's it's going to take to install this sucker. My first thought is to trim the monitor bezel up to the mounting points on each side. I'm hoping to gain enough to fit the bezel between the vents. If it still doesn't fit, I'll grind some of the the vent away. As a last resort, I'll break through the vents and use a little silicone to seal the air gaps. I'll attach the display's bezel to the cubby bezel with epoxy, fill in the gaps with bondo, sand and paint.

Am I on the right track?

Q: why did you use plexiglass to separate the display from the controller board?

if you're using a xenarc you'll find that dremeling just past the point where the factory mounting holes are useful will make it fit perfect between the vents, otherwise its too big.

modifying the vents should work fine but wont you be able to see that part that close to the front of the trim?

I backed it off because the 700tsv has a taller controller card than the monitor, and I wanted to lift it up slightly w/o any risk of accidentally pushing the factory switches for power signal etc. while installing or from bumps or just being too close to the dash in general.

Once my nav. bezel comes in we may have a solution that wont require all those mods anyway :) although if you've already spent the money.. ya know.. you've already spent the money. and theres no guarantee I can make right now that we'll have any kits for anyone anytime soon, if ever. A lot of unknowns floating around bout that right now.

hehe, a friend of mine once jokingly said they had 10 year shipping lol, na they're really good for it, but it did take them a good 5 days before mine went out after ordering.

you'll understand when it comes tho.. mine came in a EMS Japan shipping container

"From AVO Turbo World Japan Akishimashi Tokyo" so its got one heck of a journey to make before it land sitself in your cosole :p

Archived