LegacyGT.com

Midinstall computer install in Subaru - ampie, m1-atx

foobark

the ampie case is good, solid, and tight as advertised. Even though it's got little room to operate inside, it's still about 6mm taller then the shortest case on mp3car.com (and that smaller one allows for a cdrom drive too).

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and... (dont quote me here cos I haven't done official mounting, just test fits) the ampie fits perfeclty onthe fold down pass-through between your trunk and interior, thats where I plan to mount it, with the wires facing down.

problem with usb, and I know what you're going to say but I really dont know about it because I've already dsicussed it :p I have already added 2 additional usbports to the case, and all 4 of them are in use, if I get usb floppy and cdrom thats going to be difficult andI'll have to sacrifice my GPS or wireless game pad (ya gotta have something to do when sitting in parking lots ) and I know.. usb hub with the AC/DC adapter cut off and a voltage regulator put inline,but I have discussed this with people and looked it up on mp3car, and for the most part people are saying the regulators only work on 1a and the hub runs on 3, wahtsmore they are saying the voltage step down from 12 to 5 produces a lot of heat. Running the hub off the 5v signal from teh carputer is still a possibility, but mounting that would look pretty ghetto consdiering I'd have to have an ugly wire just knid of running out of my ampie case somewhere.

Agreed, LCDs always look much better with native resolution in place. And that would certainly be no problem to get a usb floppy drive, we might even have one in inventory I could use, does this mobo have legacy support for a usb floppy or something? I mean how could I even boot to it? can't use a Cd.. dont have an optical drive either lol.

I dont imagine I'll use a cdrom/dvd a lot in the car myself, for interface with my network I have a wireless nic (also usb) and I'll just park the car in the driveway with the carputer on and remote into it to do any changes that require a mouse/keyboard.. atleast thats the plan. But I know if I dont put one in there my friends/family could possiblly complain about not being able to attempt to distract me with a DVD while I'm driving down the road. ... perhaps thats for the better

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Who are these people you're talking to about power? Has any of them tried any of these things that you're asking about?

I have two usb hubs. One powered 7port one that is run off a 5v line I pulled from inside the ampie and sits right next to the case. The unpowered 4port one is mounted in that empty space right above the rear seat fold-down cup holders. It's where I plan to plug in just lower power stuff like usb disk keys and stuff like that.

My board can boot from usb devices, but for flashing the bios why not just use the network boot option? Seems like the easiest solution if you can plug into the onboard nic.

heh, well I dont know what merit they hold, one of them is an electrical engineering student at clemson, he had a carputer but got out of it when he got frustrated with its imperfections. Did you drill a hole inthe ampie to pull the 5v out?

I don't know about network booting, I hadn't thought of it until now honestly, I dont think I want to bother with reflashing unless the picture quality diff. is HUGE

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

One problem I ran into with the new resolution is that either my monitor or the software wouldn't retain the resolution setting after a reboot... it would reset to 800x600 and then I'd have to go to the "Advanced" mode selection thing. I didn't spend much time on it as it was not really that important for functionality at the time.

And yes, I drilled a hole right in the back plate and then used a rubber gromet... I take a picture this weekend.

My DVD drive is IDE w/ a USB converter. I'm running a dedicated USB 2.0 line to the drive. I'm also running another channel of USB 2.0 to a USB hub (powered), which will get its power from a separate 12 > 5 volt converter to keep the load off the power supply. I used powerstrip to get my cheapie ATi video card to output to the monitor's physical resolution for perfect pic quality.

I'm running an AMD Sempron 3100, 512 meg ram, and 200 gig SATA hd. There's a Xenarc touchscreen up front along with a hand-sized USB keyboard, 802.11g wireless (PCI) and a M-Audio Revo 5.1 sound card.

Sounds like a nice setup. Any pictures yet?

My plan:

Gain (aka Xenarc) touchscreen up front

Hardwired USB Keyboard in the glove compartment

USB jack somewhere up front (somewhere stealthy yet accessible)

Travla C158 w/M1-ATX and VIA SP13000 in the trunk

RoyalTek Sapphire GPS mouse

JVC FM modulator hardwired with Metra adapters

M-Audio Sonica (or perhaps a PCI card instead)

hardwired keyboard? hope its not full sized, it wont fit in that glovebox. One really cool mouse/keyboard combo I like is gyration, they're pricey but they have bluetooth and the mouse has a gyro (hence gyration) so you can move the mouse around on the screen w/o it touching anything.

john sounds like you're going to have a huge computer in there hehe, although you will wind up longeterm better off using standard equiptment. I had originally planned to do that, but when I saw the ITX mobos they seemed to fit better on the "stock" look so thats one reason I went with it.

noam just to remind you the SP13000 only has 2 onboard usb ports, but it has 3 onboard pinouts for additional usb ports, so the hub may not be needed unless you just need the power.

I had originally looked at the travla cases, let me know how you like it.

word john on the pics lol, we've been waiting a long time ;) course I know how this project is, as of right now I have some stuff but theres no reason to take pics of it cos well.. it looks like a mess of parts lol

btw I would like to see a screenshjot of your legacy skin. My subaru skin is kind of a hack job based very obviously on the alpine skin, I thought about a red/black/white color scheme to match the gauge cluster, infact I may wind up making a different skin all together in the future based on that, but since the subaru logo was blue I stuck with the theme. I guess unless theres some copyright by the guy who made the alpine skin, I have no problem giving anyone a copy of it, just note that its not complete, I did not convert many things cos I simply dont use them

hardwired keyboard? hope its not full sized, it wont fit in that glovebox. One really cool mouse/keyboard combo I like is gyration, they're pricey but they have bluetooth and the mouse has a gyro (hence gyration) so you can move the mouse around on the screen w/o it touching anything.

I already have the keyboard. It is nice and small. I'm not a fan of anything that requires batteries in the car, which is why I'm not going for the gyration keyboard.

noam just to remind you the SP13000 only has 2 onboard usb ports, but it has 3 onboard pinouts for additional usb ports, so the hub may not be needed unless you just need the power.

If I use a hub, it will be to minimize my cable runs to the front. Nothing up there is power hungry so a powerless hub is fine. That is what I did in my last car.

ah so you've been here before. This is my 1st carputer, although its the 3rd car I've resesarched it in, the last time I looked they were just coming out with the auto shutoff DCPSUs and shock mounted mobile computing cases and all that stuff, earlier carputers had a lot of work to do that the market has finally caught up with.

I got my screen housing yesterday, instead of blowing the $400ish on a screen that MIGHT fit, I went ahead and paid $25 for the housing and I ordered a cubby trim from subaru, that parts not in yet but from test fitting the screen caseover teh front of my cubby in dash, it looks like it will fit just perfect in there with some good fiberglass work. or liquid plastic or "whatever it is kids use these days"

I'll probablly have that work done, and thats not cos I dont know how to do it, bu thatI didn't like the results when I've done it myself in the past, it was obviously non-factory and thats not how I want it. This of course will add a good chunk of cost to the project, but to look right is priceless, besides if/when I decide to take the project out I can sell the screen on here or ebay or something and probablly get a good bit back, unless subaru makes navi standard on all legacy in the future :p

I'll probablly have that work done, and thats not cos I dont know how to do it, bu thatI didn't like the results when I've done it myself in the past, it was obviously non-factory and thats not how I want it. This of course will add a good chunk of cost to the project, but to look right is priceless, besides if/when I decide to take the project out I can sell the screen on here or ebay or something and probablly get a good bit back, unless subaru makes navi standard on all legacy in the future :p
I was going to have it done, but then asked someone how much they would charge... I'm going to try it myself and see if I can make it look factory.

yea, the guy I talked to guestimated $500 :( which is kinda steep, but if it looks facotry it might be worth it.. I tried my last project like this myself and it was terrible.

PDRM0043.jpg.7b154a84172233984d880389e9859b51.jpg

This is as far as I've gotten on the MediaEngine skin. I'm going for an OEM look. Of course the actual product is in separate layers for easy manipulation.

As soon as I come up with a suitable icon for the stock radio/CD player I'll move on to the rest of the screens.

carputer.jpg.fe3fc9fa778dd3893d23068958664d50.jpg

looks good,yea, I've thought long and hard "if subaru could make this....... what would it look like" but i'm not getting any answers.. I suspected white and brushed aluminum look becasue of the radio, then with red text at night to match the rest of the system, but attempts to emulate this have left me disappointed with my own lack of PS skillz, I dont have patience for things I guess.

I think I'm gonig to order a 700tsv right now, I haven't gotten my cubby trim in yet, but the plastic casing for the xenarc was such a good test fit by holding it up to my real cubby trim that theres no dobut we can make something work, the question I have is whether or not the buttons will fit, but I've been told xenarcs are all automatic, so thats not horriblly important, I just know subaru would keep them if they did it, cos thats what they did with the 06s, they could have went all touchscreen but decided not to.

I also tried to make a skin based on the gauge cluster at night whenthe cars off just before the gauges fade, I personally find that to be really cool, but trying to put a media application in that is too difficult.

I'm ordering the AVO kit. It looks like that might be missing two pins based on the picture, but I can add those in...

Truthfully it looks like the stock cable can reach just fine. It is short, but I _think_ I can plug it in and close it up as is. I'll try that first when I get the kit and report back.

indeed, thats my plans as well, I was prepared to cut every single wire connected to the info. center and extend them if I had to tho.

stupid question: how would I go about this.. adding pins to the harness deal? what kind of pins would I need to get? and avalibility on such things..

they dont seem to be exactly sure, but from what I was reading the jdm one uses 7 out of 12 and the usdm uses 9 out of 12? something like that.. the only diff in the 05s is that the airbag thingy is on our info. center so it has to have those exrta pins even tho for the most part they aren't really needed in myopinion, I dont really care if theres a light on that tells me if my airbag is on or not.

some of the guys on that thread mentioned adding the pins to it, I'd like to know how. again they say the stock cable will reach but its tight, tights no good, not in an automotive application.

I would just rip my cubby out and look myself, but try as I might I cannot get it out! any tips?

You just pull - seriously. The whole center piece w/ the vents comes right out.

The harness on the clock can be a pain to remove because it's jussstttt tight enough to not be able to come out far enough for you to easily hit the release tab.

Archived