LegacyGT.com

[How-To] Clutch Damper Valve Delete

Ok, so something like this? http://amzn.to/1oKgIi2

Yes, that looks as though it will work. Just make sure its not a super cheap one, they tend to break and in the process of breaking usually round off your fitting. I would recommend either a Craftsman, Sunex, or the brand they have at O'Reilly Auto parts.

Edited by GTEASER

Hey Islandborn, could you tell us the name of the dealer and apprx charge for install for us Houston 5th gens?

Gillman Subaru - Northside.... Might hit up their Southwest Dealership and just chat with them. I'm to understand that the Southwest guys are pretty cool too.

OK so I got bored today and took the damper valve apart just to see what makes it tick. I'm wondering if you were to just take out the guts of the valve, would you get the same results as replacing it with the union or is that reservoir what causes the problem? Just a thought.

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

Also tried ordering the part only to be told it's on national backorder.

Once again, if you can locate a 6MT car in a scrap yard, there is one of these in every 6MT engine compartment, just waiting for a new life in a GT. :lol: There is no reason why a used part would have any wear or issue. Just remember to plug the ends before grinding to do the gusset removal mod.

See Post 18 for location.

^^

Yup easiest way is using car-part.com and locate a 6 speed tranny and call the yard.

Just did a search, there is probably 20 or so total from gt,2.5i,and outbacks.

As an alternative that wouldn't be as "clean" is using any brake line union that uses 1/4" line that has a total length of 3". Or two regular unions with a foot long 1/4" brake line and just loop it to connect the two unions. Its all hidden it just matters how OCD you are about your car.

Jace, we went over this last week.

Edited by GTEASER

Just ordered one. They are on national back order status.

So............WE BOUGHT THEM ALL!!!!!

Since they are getting hard to get I'm gonna bring mine down to the machine shop and see what they can do and how much to replicate it.

I had a feeling there wasn't alot of these out there. Its not a part that would ever really need to be replaced from the factory. It doesn't rust, no moving parts. If there really is a national back order and not just a dealership giving the run around because people have been told that before and others have ordered in different part of the country days later. If there is a back order I don't see Subaru rushing to make more of them so a machine shop might be a good choice as long as the price is right. Rather than wait for Subaru.

I'll keep this thread updated when I talk to them down at the machine shop.

Currently how many people are waiting on the backorder for the union? Curious to be able to give them a first run number.

I think I can find a Toyota part at work that fits our needs. I've actually seen it under the hood I just can't remember which car. I'll keep an eye out and see if I can snag a part #. It needs female 1/4 ends and be about 3" long?

I placed my order with subarupartswarehouse on May 2nd — and called last Thursday/Friday about its status, since I still didn't get any shipping confirmation. The gentleman was super-apologetic and said it was on natty backorder, so this went downhill real fast as soon as we all learned about the mod :roll eyes:

If you can provide a part of equal (or better) quality, I'd be in for one as long as they don't end up shipping the backorder in the meantime.

I placed my order with subarupartswarehouse on May 2nd — and called last Thursday/Friday about its status, since I still didn't get any shipping confirmation. The gentleman was super-apologetic and said it was on natty backorder, so this went downhill real fast as soon as we all learned about the mod :roll eyes:

If you can provide a part of equal (or better) quality, I'd be in for one as long as they don't end up shipping the backorder in the meantime.

I placed my order at the end of last month with them. When I called up last week I was told the last one they had was sold right before I placed my order and that they were still waiting for Subaru to release more to ship mine out. I kept my order open with them since I'm in no rush.

Had to be to work early this morning didn't have time to go to the machine shop.

I'll have time tomorrow morning.

In the meantime I have the guy at the parts store trying to track something down for us. He thinks they carry a hydraulic fitting that would work. We'll see later today what he comes up with.

As far a quality from the machine shop goes. I've had pieces made there before and they always surpass what my expectations were. The piece they made for me for my on board air project for my pathfinders airbag system came out looking stock.

Edit: Had a pic of the piece. Went on the a/c compressor turned air compressor to go to a 3/8" pipe fitting.

857181034_WP_000037(1).jpg.4373372b3398ba73dda1a0c936e62121.jpg

Edited by reeg420

I have found something at work that I believe will be perfect. Had to order it and it should be here by the end of the week. Anyone ordering one please wait as this is $20 and I think it will be perfect. I will post pics and part number once I verify that it fits.

Stopped at the machine shop this morning. They can definitely make them. I brought my old damper with me and showed pics of the union install for a reference. He sketched up some drawings real quick and has my damper for measurements later today. Looking at $20 a piece for a run of 10.

I'm gonna have him make one and Ill take a look and if its what we need I'll have him continue. So I should have some for sale here soon. I'll post pics when I get a look at the first one.

Those pics of the machined parts look marvelous -- I have a feeling the final parts will turn out great!

A bit of a problem: I just got a shipment notification for the Subaru part. They were supposed to just ship the sunshade I ordered separately, but it looks like the part came in as well. So I may or may not be in for one of the machined parts depending on what gets delivered. They certainly charged me for the part as well as the sunshade :spin:

I can stop by for a test fit.

That would be awesome. Was gonna redo mine for a test. But Id rather just do another one and not waste time on mine.

Stopped at the machine shop this morning. He has the measurements and said they should get to them end of next week.

I'll keep everybody posted.