LegacyGT.com

Flinkly's OBXT

After just researching some more I'm about to replace one recaro with this:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/2015-Maxi-Cosi-Convertible-Bohemian/dp/B00O9W3IAE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?&ie=UTF8]Amazon.com : 2015 Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 Convertible Car Seat, Sweet Cerise : Baby[/ame]

Space savings are great and this is ranked number 1 for space saving/useful life of seat. Children up to 70 pounds.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

ALRIGHT... it's been stated a few times that it needs a REAL place to live, so (I imagine) the next two posts will be about the custom gauge solution i've been working on (in my spare time):

Custom Cubby (but it could go most anywhere) 4x Guage Pod

So the first version, like the curent version, runs off an Arduino microcontroller; this one was an Arduino Micro. The idea was to get rid of the 2x expensive 52mm guages i've got taking up my entire cubby pod, and replace them with MORE guages, 4 for starters. I liked the 7-segment LED displays of the PLX guages, so i ordered the smallest ones off Adafruit.

Got them in, made it work reading AFR (pictures below) but quickly realized that the smallest ones from Adafruit are GIANT in comparison to the cubby (4 wasn't gonna look pretty. was gona be like Las Vegas in there). So i ordered individual digits of Digikey in red, and designed a custom board to house the 7 segment backpacks, the individual 7 segments, and the Arduino Micro.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=216895&stc=1&d=1447801045

I finally got all the parts rounded up, soldered it together, and ran the code and it worked GREAT! for about a minute. i'm pretty sure something about the electrons is heating up components and making them fizzle out. ME here, not EE.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=218851&stc=1&d=1447801150

So i moved on from the LED backpacks and 7-segments... to revision 2.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Custom Cubby 4x Guage Pod - Version 2.0!

So, with efficiency in mind i switched to 4x little OLED screens, re-purposed from the old-school phone industry i believe. Since Adafruit didn't have a large enough OLED to really fill the cubby up nicely, i decided on 4x smaller screens. One of the HUGE benifits of the OLEDs (or LCD etc.) is that i can display the NAME of the sensor above the sensor value. before i was really scratching my head trying to figure out how i'd get little letters on the faceplate of the 7-segment version above. NO MORE!

Anyways, as time permits, i'll stop by again and list out what I'm going to get it to do, and hopefully will have one installed in my car in 2 weeks (depends on the shop who's making the new cubby really, and the holiday comin up).

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=219475&stc=1&d=1447801275

• 2 weeks later...
Wow don't know how I'm just now reading through all this but you're doing some awesome things I wish I had the time and knowledge to do. Marine Engineering isn't near as math and circuitry intensive a Mechanical Engineering.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Wow, the gauge pod work you're doing is awesome! Sub'd to potentially steal this as a loose basis for a capstone project in my advanced electronics class next semester, if you don't mind :)

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

• 2 weeks later...

Oil Analysis

I recently sent in an oil sample for analysis to see how the internals are doing from a wear standpoint (or leaks), and everything appears to be doing quite well!

No oil use to speak of between changes, do changes approximately every 5k miles (about 4 times a year), have been using Rotella T6 and the blue filters so far (want to move to Tokyo Roki's, but invested in a large stash of OEM a while back).

YAY!

BSL_10-6-2015.thumb.png.a40ac3e69381bc958accea35b3e70715.png

• 4 months later...

damnit, i lost my nice lengthy post i just wrote up. here i go again...

SO, i really haven't been doing much other than driving her and thinking about all the maintenance and performance parts i want and need.

BUT, i did just receive a complete version 8 JDM STI TS "kit". Headers (no oem heatshields), uppipe (again, no OEM heatshields), VF37, turbo bracket, and downpipe (gutted, and a little sliced up where a second bung was "installed" :( ). I've already got a second set of oem TS headers and uppipe too, and might even source a second DP since this first one is gutted and a little worse for wear. It was an awesome deal, basically half the going rate of a normal kit, shipping included! (i actually feel a little bad. i basically stole it!)

So, the plan:

First, the VF37 is going to be stripped for parts. I'll be re-using the wastegate actuator, turbine housing and lower coolant line (i believe, we'll see what lines i need to swap for it to work). The turbine housing is going out to be Swaintech White Lightening'd to keep the TMIC and engine bay cooler.

These parts will be mated to my rebuilt VF52 with billet compressor wheel. the CHRA's of the VF52 and VF37 are identical, so that's the key to the swap. I'll end up with a twinscroll turbo with VF52 power levels and the ability to use LGT-style TMICs. I'll also be able to swap over my VF37 cover if and when i move to a GS TMIC or STI intake/TMIC.

The first set of headers have the heatshields still, so i'll use those. i'll still remove the shields and blast and repaint them, since they're a little rusty. I'll probably be getting a new uppipe, since it comes with the cover that covers the joint between the header and uppipe (efficiency by heat retention!). again, will probably blast and clean it, but won't try to remove the covers. these are welded on vs. bolted on for the header.

Still trying to source the 2 or 3 OEM heatshield bits for the turbo. there's one that goes under the turbo, and one that goes over, but that one looks like a two-piece part from pictures. not sure where i'll be able to find one... :(

Lastly, i think i still might get a second DP, but either way, i'll need to have an exhaust shop do a little bit of work. Mainly, i need a second bung installed at the bellmouth for my wideband (first/OEM bung is for front O2 sensor, it's not in the header for the TS cars) and i need to get it lengthened to fit the USDM oem catback exhaust. Also, the one i have at the moment was gutted (gah!), so i'd also like to get a cat added back in if i use the DP i have. There are only a few sources for aftermarket DPs anyways, and none have heatshields, so i might as well spend ~$300 on an OEM part rather than ~$600+ on an aftermarket + $100 in wrap.

THEN INSTALL AND TUNE IT!

truth be told, i'll probably get a compression and leakdown test done, to make sure i'm starting from a good spot, then get my timing belt and water pump done. i'll do another blackstone test to check wear, maybe do a leak test to seal up anything, then install all these parts along with my JDM "TGV"s. YAY!

oh right, i should do a post about my partsouq order. that place is the bomb, except they'll ship you short without notice, and it's a little annoying to have to make a second order for the remainder, and pay shipping again. still cheaper than the alternative though!

pics to come... i promise.

I thought for sure you were getting this setup that is being sold locally to me.

http://www.i-club.com/forums/norcal-classifieds-96/fs-v8-jdm-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-ihi-vf37-twin-scroll-turbo-setup-267719/

You can see all the heat shields too.

Also Partsouq is waiting on their Subaru supplier to finish their annual stock/inventory checking right now. I have a huge order that I am waiting on from them.

Also Partsouq is waiting on their Subaru supplier to finish their annual stock/inventory checking right now. I have a huge order that I am waiting on from them.

yeah, i was told they'd be getting my last few parts back in stock next week when they got a big shipment of subaru stuff. hoping to get a JDM rear sway, a second JDM TGV, and a SS TS header/up gasket.

I thought for sure you were getting this setup that is being sold locally to me.

http://www.i-club.com/forums/norcal-classifieds-96/fs-v8-jdm-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-ihi-vf37-twin-scroll-turbo-setup-267719/

You can see all the heat shields too.

No, i was mainly looking on Nastysock, and went thru at least 4 terrible sellers before i found a decent one. might hit this guy up to see if i can get the turbo heatshield bits...

Already working a few others for the same deal.

thanks for the heads up!

• 2 weeks later...

lol, already looking to buy a third set of JDM TS exhaust bits.... :spin:

in hindsight, i really want the uppipe with the header/up cover, and the turbo shielding. and while i'm at it, a DP with a cat so i don't have to get another installed.

been working on converting my VF52 to a franken-TS VF52/37... slow progress.

Test-fitting franken turbo parts.

VF52 compressor housing, aftermarket braided oil inlet and stock oil outlet and upper coolant line, VF37 turbine housing, wastegate actuator and lower coolant line, rebuilt CHRA with billet compressor wheel. (jeebus, this thing is gonna spool TOO quickly for my taste, but can rebuild the VF37 CHRA with oem compressor wheel if i don't like...).

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160505/63a6414809ba8821773cb42e1d432f6b.jpg

Beginning to think i require an aftermarket wastegate actuator, since this one isn't lining up ideal (points right into the compressor outlet...), and has no adjustment for my needed re-clocking of the turbo. I did a quick measurement and it's not parallel (turbine inlet face to compressor outlet), which i believe is required in the LGT/OBXT TMIC world (yes, staying TMIC, BP OEM TMIC to be specific). Kinugawa's are ~$90, and for some reason TurboSmart's are $215. i'll be honest that i like TurboSmart as a company more, but can't justify +$125. :eek:

also beginning to think i need to install this to make sure it'll all line up properly regardless, before spending any more monies. what a pain that idea is. need to remove all the stock exhaust and VF46, install the JDM header and up, then turbo and TMIC. then put the stock parts back so i can refurb the TS parts to my liking. as if i had alot of time on my hands... (maybe stay up all night after the wife falls asleep!)

think i'm going to replace the little vacuum lines with black silicone ones too, since i'll be re-doing a bit of it when install comes.

New 4x EGT probes and bungs come in a week, were due to ship out yesterday. will get those welded up into the JDM header at the exhaust ports, and thinking of doing two additional bungs in the uppipe before the turbine inlet. then getting header and up and turbine housing swaintech coated. maybe the pre-cat section of the DP too, and then put back on all the OEM heatshields. projecting the Swaintech cost to be ~$450.

it's all getting so close i can taste it! been wanting to do this build for years...

After writing down the above Swaintech coating cost, and since i have SOOO many TS headers/up at the moment, i think i'll just wait on the header and up coating. still get the DP and Turbine done though, and can swap on a different header/up set to get them coated later if i desire.

:rolleyes:

Test-fitting franken turbo parts.

also beginning to think i need to install this to make sure it'll all line up properly regardless, before spending any more monies. what a pain that idea is. need to remove all the stock exhaust and VF46, install the JDM header and up, then turbo and TMIC. then put the stock parts back so i can refurb the TS parts to my liking. as if i had alot of time on my hands... (maybe stay up all night after the wife falls asleep!)

You need to pick up a blown motor and put it up on an engine stand. Then you could mock up with out having to temporarily remove parts on your car.

• 4 months later...

pron pics of new DP.

was on the fence about removing the little lunch box on the end, but it looks like an in-line muffler. and i'm not one for obnoxious exhaust sounds, so i'll keep it and do the lengthening post-lunchbox.

need to fix link DSCN1906.jpg

need to fix link DSCN1919.jpg

need to fix link DSCN1908.jpg

need to fix link DSCN1915.jpg

Me too (looking forward to install).

Buying new house, closing end of october, so along with normal life, some extra stuff to get in my way. Selling current house asap too.

But, plan/list of stuff to do for TS:

- get compression/leakdown test done (check for reasonable foundation)

- send turbine housing out for white lightning

- re-install OEM USDM dp and have shop extend TS 2nd section to fit USDM catback (could mate JDM first section to USDM second section, but why retain 2nd cat? ;) )

- have 1x wideband bung installed in JDM dp bellmouth

- have 4x bungs installed in JDM header for EGT at ports

- source new fuel rails (IAG probably) and ID1000 injectors (to go with JDM "TGV"s)

- install and begin e-tuning (hopefully with TA)

- enjoy....

And as for the parts selling, i have more than i need, so trying to recoup some funds for future parts. Was also hoping to snag a cleaner set of headers, but wasn't fast enough. Had a guy in texas interested in the spare, but no response lately. Will be selling my dw850s after install too, and the cobb dp. And need to sell the GS MCB, AVO TMIC and RSB.

Are you staying in the Portland area?

yeah, it's only a few miles from the current home.

My wife was originally from New Mexico, and somehow got her sister and parents to relocate to the Portland area (sister in DT Portland, parents not enough miles away... ;) ).

More importantly, we'll be moving from a small 2 car garage (where only one spot can handle the OBXTs length while closing the door, and the tiny british car chassis took up the other spot - "my" spot), to a 3 car garage that's ~800 square feet total. a spot for the brit car, a spot for my DD OBXT, and one for my wife. and F-tons of room for parts, tools, projects, TVs and radio, etc.

it also has tons of natural light (switched to describing the actual house, not the garage), a nice layout, and plenty of room for a family.

Why are you selling the AVO TMIC? Do you need an STI style TMIC to fit the TS turbo?

I've got a compressor housing i can use to convert to a STI style TMIC (if funds were no question, i'd switch to an 08+ STI TMIC and manifold...). but no, i've got the VF52 cover on the TS turbo for an LGT style TMIC. will try my stock BP TMIC at first, and go from there. Maybe i'll keep the AVO just in case, but always had a hell of a time with it's fitment when i spent a few months trying to run it. i finally removed it and put my OEM back on.

I'm only thinking i'll run 18 PSI max, so not too worried about the longevity of the OEM TMIC, or cooling boosted air. famous last words.

Worst case, i'll go GS TMIC or jump into the stupidity of swapping in an 08+ STI intake system...

Actually, i'm about to email Mike at TA and ask what he actually recommends for where i'm headed (injectors, intercooler, exhaust, fuel rails, etc.). while i might not take all his recommendations, i'll sure make note of what he suggests.

will need a new clutch soon after though, and hope to get the LGT brakes finished and installed before the TS install.

Archived