LegacyGT.com

Fredrik94087 2013 3.6R Build List

Roughly how much from stock do you think your car is lowered?

Not sure. I remember it was about 0.25" higher than GTEASER's car in the front. He is on H&R springs which is a 1.3" drop.

Just going on that information, I'd say lowered 1" in front and maybe 3/4" rear?

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rev3 flashed, logged and sent to Rob at AMR.

Here is a link Rob sent me:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=677866802274260&set=vb.121395404588072&type=3&theater

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

Rev3 flashed, logged and sent to Rob at AMR.

Here is a link Rob sent me:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=677866802274260&set=vb.121395404588072&type=3&theater

Thanks for the link Fredrik! How is Shrek running? Like it?

Do you have a change log from Rob from v1 -> v3 (v2 you mentioned AFR tweaks)

Looky what I found by going back to Rob's album:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=670724362988504&set=vb.121395404588072&type=3&theater

http://shop.amrperformance.com/AMR-DFC-ECU-Upgrade--Legacy-36R_p_418.html

Thanks for the link Fredrik! How is Shrek running? Like it?

Do you have a change log from Rob from v1 -> v3 (v2 you mentioned AFR tweaks)

Looky what I found by going back to Rob's album:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=670724362988504&set=vb.121395404588072&type=3&theater

http://shop.amrperformance.com/AMR-DFC-ECU-Upgrade--Legacy-36R_p_418.html

It is running okay so far. I'll know when I dyno again.

Yesterday, I flashed V2, logged and mailed back. The AFR tweak was going from ~12.75 to ~12.5.

There is a slight difference with V3. But, dyno will know best.

I'm saving the dyno time for when Rob thinks we are at a good point.

I am getting used to holding my foot down a little harder at a stop since idle has been raised. I'll deal with it.

I had him raise the rev limiter, but didn't notice a difference in shifting at redline. But, shifting felt a tad smoother.

I see GTC01's in that vid! I'm guessing it's yours?!?!?! Thanks for the links.

The e-tuning route seems to be working okay. It is a bit of a hassle to flash, log, and mail logs. Then, new rom, flash, log, and mail logs.

But, at least it is getting done.

EDIT!!! Whoa...just noticed on their site...if I have an intake and exhaust and they tune it, I am Stage II....

Cheers!

ha ha - excellent! Yes, its a bit annoying for me too.

Can you see if he can drop it to say 800/850RPM and still keep the IPW where he wants it @ idle? That's what I'd like on mine when I stop by next time.

Yes - that's my little beast in that video.

ha ha - excellent! Yes, its a bit annoying for me too.

Can you see if he can drop it to say 800/850RPM and still keep the IPW where he wants it @ idle? That's what I'd like on mine when I stop by next time.

Yes - that's my little beast in that video.

Flashed Revision4 and logged in 90-95 degree weather at 4pm.

Logs sent to Rob at AMR.

I posed the question to Rob about lowering idle without effect. Will let you know.

Cheers!

Rob was blown away when I pointed him to your build post and exhaust setup.

He's been skeptical about the j-pipe/Helmholtz and when I mentioned that he's already been tuning to it (since you have one) - he was pleasantly surprised.

The last few 3.6Rs he's tuned have been people like me, who were unhappy with their previous tuners/tunes and wanted a second opinion.

Not only did they get a second opinion, but a great tune that is much better and safer for DD and sees most gains in the low and mid-range RPM, exactly where we can use it most often.

Rob was blown away when I pointed him to your build post and exhaust setup.

He's been skeptical about the j-pipe/Helmholtz and when I mentioned that he's already been tuning to it (since you have one) - he was pleasantly surprised.

The last few 3.6Rs he's tuned have been people like me, who were unhappy with their previous tuners/tunes and wanted a second opinion.

Not only did they get a second opinion, but a great tune that is much better and safer for DD and sees most gains in the low and mid-range RPM, exactly where we can use it most often.

LOL...thanks Perscitus. I suppose that reaction means I did something halfway decent.

If it were my wife seeing my build list, I don't think we'd see the same reaction.

Haven't checked my mail yet. I should have a new rev and some answers to other questions.

The J pipe is just a chamber to disturb the exhaust pulse and it has no effect on exhaust flow.

I'm glad you found someone who is accessable and responsive. We can all benefit now.

Cheers!

EDIT: Got rev5...idle is reduced slightly he says. I assume just enough to keep the IPW.

EDIT: Got rev5...idle is reduced slightly he says. I assume just enough to keep the IPW.

Good.... very good... I needz it!

Understand exactly on the wife-police front.

Yes, the j-pipe will disturb the pulses, certain resonant frequencies, but it can also have a positive effect on exhaust flow.

By reducing or eradicating drone, it can get rid of some unwanted back-pressure and obliterate any standing waves which stall flow.

There should be no negative side effects at all, only positive.

Yesterday, I though I may have heard "knocking" on revision 4. Rob e-mailed revison 5 today and said no knock was sensed in any of my logs so far. That is a good thing.

Revision 5 flashed, logged and sent out.

Idle rpm is ~800. The car is no longer fighting to creep forward at a stop. Off the line acceleration doesn't seem to be affected. Coasting is ~1000.

70mph in 75 degree weather showed 4 green bars on MPG.

This is the smoothest flash so far, but not quite as smooth as stock. It needs very minor tweaking.

Cheers!

Received revision 6.

Darn! No time to run out, flash and log and send back as I worked out during lunch!!! And, my boss just got back from lunch and gave me an a quick assignment....

I will flash and log this weekend.

E-mail from Rob:

Fred,

Attached should be the final revision.

The timing is at max, any more and will become fragile on knock.

The AFR's are stable seeing 12.5 to a smooth taper of 12.1.

The logs look smooth....

Flashed rev6 today.

The car is livelier off the line than rev5. Idle is still at 800 so no fighting at a stop.

With this tuning route, there is a tiny bit more grunting and snorting from the intake and a little more exhaust note.

This feels like the best flash so far...at least down low. I will log Monday morning and send back to Rob at AMR.

Cheers!

Hey,

I will be working on one soon, so I will be able to contribute to what you are doing here.

The model will the same as yours. It is a 2013 Subaru Legacy Outback H6 3.6L. Fully stock.

Nice graphs which seems to show actual wheel HP and not the inflated DynoJet figures people like to see.

Good to hear West_minist. Welcome.

Bardbados, huh? A beautiful place!

We have a few Ecutek and Open source tuned H6 3.6Rs in the states now.

Most cars with intake/catback or catback exhausts.

On 93 (approx. 97/98 octane across EMEA/APAC), we are seeing a consistent 220-235whp (165-175kW) and 270-290ft-lbf wtorque (366-393Nm) out of these.

Hey,

I will be working on one soon, so I will be able to contribute to what you are doing here.

The model will the same as yours. It is a 2013 Subaru Legacy Outback H6 3.6L. Fully stock.

Nice graphs which seems to show actual wheel HP and not the inflated DynoJet figures people like to see.

If you want conservative, look at Perscitus' dyno in his build list.

I just aim for consistency.

Thanks guys. Perscitus, That torque is high but I guess its limited. I will check your postings later.

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=514

Nice! Yes, that's peak and it happens way down low (in part 'thanks' to the 5EATs torque converter causing some torque amplification prior to full lock-up in 3rd or 4th (depending on which 'gear' the pulls are done in).

Average across the RPM range and power band we're seeing approx. 210-220 ft-lbf (285-298Nm) put down to the ground, which is still fairly nice.

We'd need headers and some test-pipes or high-flow cats to pickup more without FI.

'ItalianLegacy' should have some very impressive #s (actually already does) later this or next week with his latest Opensource tune by Paul @ ECS Tuning. His tune might be the most aggressive of all of us.

Nice! Yes, that's peak and it happens way down low (in part 'thanks' to the 5EATs torque converter causing some torque amplification prior to full lock-up in 3rd or 4th (depending on which 'gear' the pulls are done in).

Average across the RPM range and power band we're seeing approx. 210-220 ft-lbf (285-298Nm) put down to the ground, which is still fairly nice.

We'd need headers and some test-pipes or high-flow cats to pickup more without FI.

'ItalianLegacy' should have some very impressive #s (actually already does) later this or next week with his latest Opensource tune by Paul @ ECS Tuning. His tune might be the most aggressive of all of us.

I asked Rob about bigger injectors and or upgraded fuel pump. If more fuel was needed to make power I was ready to swap. He said fuel pump would be first as he isn't seeing an issue with the injectors with my mods. At the same time, the fuel pump is sufficient at this point in time.

I would venture to guess if we get headers and HFC's we may need to upgrade our fuel pumps.

Power lunch:

1. See e-mail from Rob.

2. Darn...my laptop is at home.

3. Drive home and flash.

4. Log and send logs.

5. Speak with Rob to ask for last minute tweaks if necessary

Shrek will be on the dyno tomorrow morning. I expect good news.

What did Rob say? Can't wait for the results. I KNOW it will be good!

Especially low/mid-range torque and hopefully 5.2/5.5K+ RPM HP curve flattened.

I spoke with Rob this morning and he said my car is running like a champ. He sees no issues.

He has tapered AF to go from ~12.5 mid-range to ~12.1 top-end.

When I was logging, I noticed he bumped up the idle a tad to 825/830.

My pulls in second gear with latest flash (6.3) at lunchtime, seem very smooth.

Again, the feeling is that I didn't gain anything in HP, but gained some TQ. I will hopefully be wrong again about the HP.

My baseline was: 204whp, 208wtq, and 193x.

Intake/Exhause: 217whp, 225wtq, and 215x.

Revision1 flash: 222whp, 230wtq, and 218x.

Revision6.3 ??? 225whp, 235wtq, and 222x???

Cheers!

So...I wanted to see more gains, but did not. I spoke with Rob.

The initial map had a higher AF ratio. He smoothed it as much as possible and made it slightly safer than the first rev. And, being on 91, it is a little harder to squeeze out more. The top end could use some efficiency by way of headers, etc.

Here's the good news...there are gains overall compared to my non-tuned dynos.

Results are in the XL spreadsheet.

2.thumb.jpg.d21ecee037c6f23625842c5684e7ca6b.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.94f4a2012328603ab8f0083d073e33ac.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.334da1762586f0892518a07416a5fb2f.jpg

rev1rev6_3.png.fb2c2699a012867643ec830dc94c48ee.png

That looks perfect to me Fredrik! Gains throughout and best of all a safer more reliable DD. Can't beat that.

Assuming a conservative drive/power-train loss of 25% for our H6+5EAT+S-AWD+Diffs, that's looking like peak 294bhp and 298ft-lbf!

And best of all you get most of that torque all over the place plus have a relatively flat HP profile above 4-5K RPM too, which is nice.

Archived