LegacyGT.com

Fredrik94087 2013 3.6R Build List

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sound of straight tube and large filter.

Those of you wih the takeda setup know it gets a bit loud at wot. This setup is about 20-30% louder and slightly deeper. Sorry about the audio quality. Next time I will whisper.

That sounds great Fredrik, very very similar to my 'Shrek'. Sound quality was v good with USB headphones. Sure the rattles and background noise but easy enough to hear you and the intake/engine/exhaust combo above it.

Haha....I hear the voice of Fred....having a very interesting conversation with Shrek. :lol:
Ha ha, exactly. Sounded like Shrek was taunting Fredrik. Something along the lines of 'Is that it? Is that the best you've got petty human?', 'bring on the E85, E90, FI PSIs' and then 'let's play fetch!, say go!'

Comparison of AFE takeda intake and my modded straight tube.

We have a slight improvement. And, I will take it!

There can be a slight improvement if I had a solid tube all the way from the filter to the TB, and if I had a velocity stack.

I'm happy with the deeper, more violent growl and the dyno.

AFE setup with 2.5" exhaust running 275/45/17 tires on rpf1:

223wtq

215.3whp

212whp/wtq at 5250

Modified AFE setup with 2.5" exhaust running 275/45/17 tires on rpf1:

225wtq

217.6whp

215whp/wtq at 5250

Stock intake/exhaust running 255/50/17 tires on rpf1:

208wtq

204.2whp

193whp/wtq at 5250

So far, gains over stock with intake and exhaust are:

17wtq

13.4whp

22whp/wtq at 5250

:wub:

4.thumb.jpg.6291f9f41f7d1fc284b96fb3976d27c9.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.2f8243928c05e5ca24fb5d7e7da7a56c.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.9309fd78dffa8f6a37dc931282e0ab75.jpg

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Love the avvy Fred!!!

It was overdue.

Also, I updated the number as I realized I read the baseline incorrectly.

Post updated above...better yet, if anyone sees a mistake, please point it out. My Shrek ears hear very well, but my Shrek eyes are not so good.

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

Love the avvy Fred!!!
This!

Great results Fredrik!

BTW, I had a friend who works on a Superflow adjust my latest post-AFE tune #s based on the difference between a Superflow and a Dyno Dynamics outputs. Rough estimates are putting me @ 223whp and 280 wtq (avg 228 wtq). 221 whp/wtq @ 5250RPMs.

Meaning that a tune would net an extra 8-10 whp/wtq @ 5250RPMs for a 3.6R with intake/exhaust, but more importantly bump and flatten the torque curve at both low and mid-range RPMs, perfect for DD.

That gives us a target total gain over stock (all our mods + tune) of approx. 14-16%, which is probably the best we can hope for without FI and/or mechanical changes. I see that as respectable gains for NA, given that typically 10-12% is the most to hope for.

This should be putting our cars in the vicinity of 300bhp/290ft-lbf btq.

Perscitus, this is really good info for me.

We now have the closest comparison using the same type of dyno even though it is not the same unit.

Looks like a 3wtq and 6whp difference between our cars with my modified afe intake. And, not sure how the exhaust difference is playing into this. Of course the 5250 is higher at 13 which is pretty big.

My AF ratio is slightly leaner than before but still running rich.

Fred, I will meet you up at Sears Point for a Wednesday Night Drag night. But I will understand if you don't want to run against a Stage1 LGT. :cool:

HAHA...are you kidding. Judging by the number of times I've been on the dyno, I'd say I have a Stage10 3.6R ;)

You sure you wanna run against that? :lol:

But, seriously...it wouldn't be any kind of contest.

Edit: You know...I would like to know how it will do in a straight line. Maybe we can talk offline WRT a Wednesday night at Sears Point.

Thanks Fredrik, yes. Very much in-line.

The tuner working on my car now (with about 15 years Subaru tuning experience) said our H6s need to run somewhat rich to properly cool the cylinders. So my tune is lean down-low, then moves on to a slightly richer AFR and further still beyond 5.8/6K RPM.

This actually allowed him to extract more power and keep the cylinders cooler.

On the power front.... I had a few fun runs with my brother's 2015 WRX.

Now, granted, he's stock (+STI CBE) and still in break-in limp mode (<500 miles on ODO), but he had no issues keeping up with me during normal street driving, side-streets, parkways and highways (up to 60-70mph). No WoT runs and nothing from a roll.

We will do some back to back acceleration runs when he's past 1-1.5K and we'll see what #s he's putting down stock on the same dyno plus what he's getting out of the FA20DIT with exhaust and Ecutek tune (Stage I) soon after.

I bet he'll run circles around me @ Stage I.... praying its not like that stock and full boost.

Rob from AMR Auto Master's told me my car is currently putting down #s in-line with stock Evos, about 10-15whp lower than a stock recent-gen STi. So maybe there is hope still....

Good eye. In fact, I think I may have mentioned this to someone looking for LCA's. It doesn't poke through, but we have new bolts ready to go in...just haven't gotten around to it. I'm contemplating a transmission cooler and brake upgrade, so it may all get done at the same time. The bolts are in there with loctite, so I'm not too concerned.

Working on it.

I'm going to be picking up the Cusco LCA this spring, I was wondering what bolts you finally used to fix the issue of original ones not threading all the way thorough.

I'm going to be picking up the Cusco LCA this spring, I was wondering what bolts you finally used to fix the issue of original ones not threading all the way thorough.

I went over a month without the longer bolts, but wouldnt recommend it.

Dont know the bolt specs as Dietsch Werks handled it for me...sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
First page updated with dirty bits and bushing part numbers and usage.

Last tweak with the intake. In this location I shouldn't have to worry about the filter getting wet, it is far enough from the motor, and I can still strap the filter.

Decided to use the HPS clamps while I was at it.

I won't be bothering with a shield.

Gonna dyno this setup when I get a chance. Car is going in Tuesday for polyurethane bushings. Skidplates may end up going in same day. Dyno to follow hopefully this week.

Crazy thought. Don't know jack about car modding so let me know if this is just a bad idea or a bad ass idea. What if you did a Y splitter like this: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Spectre-9479-Polished-Aluminum-Tube/dp/B004AJ34FA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1398467115&sr=8-3&keywords=air+intake+y+aluminum]Amazon.com: Spectre 9479 3" Polished Aluminum "Y" Tube: Automotive[/ame] and than did two down pipes with filters. Could it fit? Would it give more boost? Too much boost?

Just a thought that went through my head today.

Crazy thought. Don't know jack about car modding so let me know if this is just a bad idea or a bad ass idea. What if you did a Y splitter like this: Amazon.com: Spectre 9479 3" Polished Aluminum "Y" Tube: Automotive and than did two down pipes with filters. Could it fit? Would it give more boost? Too much boost?

Just a thought that went through my head today.

In all honesty, it will gain nothing over the intake I have on there now, and there is not enough room to do it anyway.

You only need one pipe to get to the TB. And, the filter I have on there is pretty big. Having two of them will not allow better airflow.

On G35 sedans (I believe 2007), there is a dual intake setup.

I believe what I have on there now is the best I can do.

I did some runs to see how the car is doing and if there are gains/losses.

This is just round 1, but we shall see if there is more to squeeze out.

Logs have already been sent to AMR.

On 91 octane since day 1.

Gains from Baseline to Bolt-Ons (no tune): 13.3whp and 17wtq. 22whp/wtq gained at 5250.

Gains with tune (first map): 4.5whp and 5wtq. 3whp/wtq gained at 5250.

To date: 17.8whp and 22wtq. 25whp/wtq at 5250.

4.thumb.jpg.c48fe615e9034d7a1a77137a133a6871.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.ea9c509f8f915b54351e360b56d6b8e4.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.f7e3677232bed39a70aaafd59a0f7a28.jpg

On regular, midgrade or premium fuel?

Edited post...

91 octane. I wish we still had at least 92 on tap.

Rob is the man! That's awesome Fredrik.

#s look very much in-line with my tune results.

I'm @ 223whp and 280 wtq (avg 228 wtq).

221 whp/wtq @ 5250RPMs

Reading the latest plots I think you're' basically in the same exact spot!

Notice the nice bump in the low and mid-range torque and the horsepower flattening above 5.2K RPM?

Looking great for first map. How does it feel?

In all honesty, last night, it felt like a 5wtq, but I didn't feel anything up top for HP.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a 4.5whp gain this morning.

I know I've thrown a lot of dyno information at you guys, but here is the entire set of dyno runs from this morning's session. The variation is quite small (2.6whp), so when I measure a gain, there truly is a gain. I'm a little OCD about it :spin:.

Ignore the first one, as Jon (running the dyno) thought he heard detonation and stopped before the run was complete. Fortunately, that was not the case.

Again, I am very pleased with the level of service from AMR. When I called in today, he had a 3.6R getting tuned on the dyno.

Cheers!

1210357842_1Detonation.thumb.jpg.11fe06d6be4444ee9556b0f824da3d86.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.4fd6c18dc32efda5f3d117ee6c72da3e.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.914c066db5b1657b8ab62809d1ea7627.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.314326335cf4b3fd8a565fa04388153b.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.09613e64adc979b4a90b32a4b807c35d.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.7e4c7ed518d3d8ad25580ded50c42581.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.7a38add7b5fa79089c2519c8767f8cef.jpg

Archived