LegacyGT.com

07 lgt bad turbo maybe?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Step by step.

1st - Make sure all intake hoses are secured. Air box to turbo clamps, Intercooler to intake manifold clamps.

2nd - Check all vacuum lines are secured. In front of the intake manifold right behind the P/S pump and under the intercooler are a few vacuum lines.

3rd - Timing belt alignment, make sure all alignment marks match up.

Do these steps first before you think it's the turbo. From those codes, it's telling me that the timing has jumped and is causing this issue. If everything checks out from above, then I would look toward the turbo. Best to pull the DP off and inspect the fins and shaft for any play. If you see a lot of oil on the exhaust side of the turbo, then the turbo seals are shot.

Check the DIY threads and you should be able some of these on your own.

My wife's balls are delicious.

I thought these cars wouldn't start if the timing belt was off by more than a couple teeth?? When I was changing my belt it would not turn over because it was off. There's more info on timing belts around the forum, but if the timing belt is incorrect it should not start up. Its an interference engine so wrong timing would cause the valves to hit pistons as well.

Nope, after I did a belt change once, I was off by a tooth. The car started and idle like sh!t. Drove it down the street to test it and started experience issues like MA07lgt. Through several codes and puttered back to my garage.

His issues and codes sounded like the same issue I experience, not saying his did, but it's the first place I would check before tearing the turbo off.

im hoping nothing major has happened... but i honestly assume i need a new turbo goin by the rattling sound from the turbo and the smoke... its being picked up this weekend and goin to the shop then i can get raped for money for being dumb with the car = /

as dumb as this sounds im hoping any dmg is under $2K = / i know alot of ppl on this forum like to see and hear ppl workin on their own cars but i dont trust myself lol

This happened to me recently. I decided to go with a larger turbo and some upgraded parts. It was about double your estimate, so even if you stay stock I think you're a little on the low side

Do you have any local LGT members in your area, that might give you a hand. Nice thing about this forum is members are willing to help each other out. Go to the Regional forum on here and reach out to some of local members in your area.

If the turbo did in fact fail, the way in which it failed could do way more damage than just to the turbo itself. If metal shavings from the turbo made it into your oil system, then you are pretty much in for a new turbo and a new short block (block, pistons, crank, etc) which is closer to $5-6k from what I have read.

I don't say this to scare you. I see a lot of people on here spend the thousands of dollars to replace just the turbo without inspecting or flushing the oil system and then the engine dies a few weeks later. Make sure the mechanics take a look for metal in your oil so you have all of the information at the beginning!

so this place quoted me bout 1k to do the job if i bring in a turbo... he said he wont get any turbo that isnt the oem one from subaru and thats $1100 just for the turbo alone. thats him replacing all the lines that oil runs through dropping the oil pan cleaning that out and if it needs a new plan then thats $100 more and he is going to check the timing also and suggests getting that done so im guessing bout $2500 to have it all done if i have him get the turbo

I would look into getting the updated turbo used in the 07-09 LGT if they will only replace with an OEM. I believe it is the IHI VF46, or if you want to get a tune, there is also the IHI VF52 from the current gen WRX. There is tons of information on this forum in the Turbo powertrain section http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/turbo-powertrains-2-0gt-2-5gt-2-5xt-12.html that covers why the VF40 is an inferior turbo. It has to do with the size of the turbine/compressor shaft and bearing. Good luck, and here's hoping that it's just the turbo.

-Disclaimer - I have never replaced my turbo, and I am currently researching my options.

Steve

Edit: You have a 2007 and have a VF46, just stick to your VF46, or possibly a VF52, or do what Tehnation below says.

Have you diagnosed the issue yet? Pulled the DP to check the turbo?

havent diagnosed it yet... its goin there tomorrow morning and he is going to pull it apart and check it out... He has done this a good amount of time's i guess and hasn't had any engine's fail on him yet = /. Lets hope mine isnt the first. As far as a turbo goes ill talk to him about it. He is a "performance" shop and has turbo's on display when u walk in so im sure he will have some idea on what will fit for a better price.

True, there are plug and play turbos I think the vf46 doesn't need a tune.

But if you upgrade turbo you will need :

Filtered oil feed kit

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-995/IP%26T-Filtered-Turbo-Oil/Detail

minimum 150 etune

a cable for etune?? and laptop

Or a cobb accessport instead of etune/cable/laptop

Thats about it really.

im prob just goin to stick with all stock parts... this is more the GF'S daily driver... i have a motorcycle i play with. as much as i'd like to upgrade parts she wont enjoy it as much as anyone else lol. The guy quoted me for about $1100 if i bring him the turbo... and another $1100 if he gets a stock turbo for me. He also mentioned if he cannot get the oil pan completely done he will just order a new one to ensure no copper or metal can make its way into the engine but said he has only see one that he HAD to replace the oil pan

In that case definitely get the VF46 yourself. You can pick one up for about $500-600 in slightly used, but good, condition. Maybe a little more than that for new. I wouldn't pay $1100 for a VF46.

yeah someone from this forum sent me a msg i guess he rebuilds them and sells em back out... game me a price for turbo then the returned core... i may go that way im just very very nervous bout buying from ppl online

Read the reviews on your stock turbo VF46 vs. the VF52. Though it will require a tune, the VF52 is a much more reliable turbo over the VF46, which is much more reliable over the turbo I have, the VF40. Plus a used VF52 should cost only a little more, if not just as much, than your stock replacement. Just my $.02

Archived