LegacyGT.com

07 lgt bad turbo maybe?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i had a drop in power over the summer in my 05gt and it was the gasket on the silicone hose that hooks to the top mount intercooler. It actually slipped off so there was a big boost leak. I could hear the turbo but there was no pressure. i cleaned the gasket and then glued it back on with black silicone.

if you have a boost/vacuum gauge you can see if you have a loss in pressure by checking boost off the blow off valve vacuum/pressure line

the smoke on the right side might just be a leaky valve cover gasket or broken cv boot... i actually have both going on right now and its on my to to list when the weather gets warmer.

good luck

10 bucks says it is p0022/p0011 for the ocv which was due to clogged banjo bolt, because you ignored it kept driving and starved your turbo for oil and KO'd it in the process and now the turbo seals are leaking smoke.

Any other takers?

10 bucks says it is p0022/p0011 for the ocv which was due to clogged banjo bolt, because you ignored it kept driving and starved your turbo for oil and KO'd it in the process and now the turbo seals are leaking smoke.

Any other takers?

Nope. I like having money

With any luck the rest of the engine bay is fine. If the turbo is gone a replacement VF46 isn't hard to find and not too expensive. Just be sure to flush all the oil properly prior to installing the new turbo, and get rid of the banjo bolts.

Also one of the members on here, JmP6889928 is buying up blown VF46s for rebuilds so that could save you some cash.

hmm smoke doesnt usually come from the turbo. But a cel and then noise from your turbo is not good, it just happened to me actually, cel came on, turbo started making noise, I removed it and my turbo blades were all bent because seals were blown due to clogged banjo..... its going to sting some, be prepared! Hopefully your block is still ok.

p0171 p0021 p0011 p0301 p0302 p0303 p0304 r the codes he pulled

• P0011 - Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced (Bank 1)
  • P0021 - Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced (Bank 2)
  • P0171 - System too Lean
  • P0301 - Cylinder 1 misfire detected
  • P0302 - Cylinder 2 misfire detected
  • P0303 - Cylinder 3 misfire detected
  • P0304 - Cylinder 4 misfire detected

Well you have

System is too lean

Misfiring in all 4 cylinders

Both camshafts position sensors are off.

Take a look at your timing belt, it sounds like the belt jumped a tooth or 2. Timing appears to be all focked up.

My wife's balls are delicious.

yeah the tool he brought said the codes and what they were... he took off the timing cover to check the belt and it was fine.

You'll need to align all the timing marks back up to determine if the belt didn't jump.

My wife's balls are delicious.

last 4 are misfires

0021 and 0011 refer to avcs both sides

171 is too lean

id say check for intake/boost leaks first

Leak between the MAF and turbo would cause lean conditions, not a boost leak though.

Definitely double check the timing belt.

If it's a second hand VF46 turbo, maybe $600. If you do get a new turbo I'd suggest getting upgraded oil lines.

Otherwise if you want you could upgrade to a VF52. It will need a new tune and a new down pipe though so that might be somewhere around... $1200?

Archived