LegacyGT.com

06 lgt rust issues

Purchased new in late 05. Always in a semi heated garage. Following rust issues. Trunk lid at bottom edge (adjacent to bumper). Drivers side frt and rear doors at bottom edge. Body shop cleaned what they could and sprayed in a rust inhibiting material. They stated "it may or may not stop the rust". I am in northwest NJ. Is this a common issue or is it atypical? I love the car and plan to keep it forever (if that is feasible). The color is satin white pearl. Should I be looking to buy used doors and a trunk lid now while there is a plentiful number of parts available? If so should I be looking for parts only from a dry climate? Would it be ridiculous for me to look for the parts only in sating pearl white?

thanks

gary

My 05 has no visible rust in those area's, never been in a garage.

The only rust I had was around the windshield from having it replaced a number of times.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My 05 has no visible rust in those area's, never been in a garage.

The only rust I had was around the windshield from having it replaced a number of times.

I've got rust on the roof along the top edge of the windshield. Did you do anything to fix it, or just leave it?

I always thought that having a heated garage sped up the rusting process.

When you drive your car through the snow and salt and then park it in a heated garage you're essentially giving it a salt water bath everyday. Warmer temperatures will also accelerate the rusting process.

I've got rust on the roof along the top edge of the windshield. Did you do anything to fix it, or just leave it?

Yes I did. I had my buddies restoration shop strip the front bumper, hood and roof, pull the windshield fix the rust and paint those area's.

I posted pictures after it was done last Oct.

Here's a after shoot, I don't have a shoot of the rust but I do have one of the stone chips, this is a edit, so the pictures may be out of order.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4801.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN5333_zpsa10312c3.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

fix it asap! mine got so bad it was leaking water through the edge of the windshield. Had a shop do ALOT of work to fix it. Involves pulling windshield(which will most likely shatter on removal so you will need another one for about $600.) Then depending how bad it is they either cut out metal and weld new metal in, or grind all the rust off, apply rust inhibitor, and repaint the area. Costs anywhere from 2000-5000 dollars to get fixed right.

fix it asap! mine got so bad it was leaking water through the edge of the windshield. Had a shop do ALOT of work to fix it. Involves pulling windshield(which will most likely shatter on removal so you will need another one for about $600.) Then depending how bad it is they either cut out metal and weld new metal in, or grind all the rust off, apply rust inhibitor, and repaint the area. Costs anywhere from 2000-5000 dollars to get fixed right.

$2k to $5k? Good god... I can see how it could add up... but.. damn. If I can get to it I'll post a pic of the rust spot for you to compare.

Yes I did. I had my buddies restoration shop strip the front bumper, hood and roof, pull the windshield fix the rust and paint those area's.

I posted pictures after it was done last Oct.

was your fix any where close to that?

I'm starting to see rust along the bottom edge on the inside of the driver's side door. Think the window molding is leaking. That's bad.

I have that on my 05' wagon, how do I fix or stop that from getting worse?

$2k to $5k? Good god... I can see how it could add up... but.. damn. If I can get to it I'll post a pic of the rust spot for you to compare.

was your fix any where close to that?

Mine was bubbling on driver corner near roof, and in the middle of the windshield on the roof. It didnt look bad, but I already started leaking water around the a-pillar. Its always worse under the molding vs what you can actually see.

Also take into account, alot of shops DO NOT want to do the job. Luckily I had the dealership split on the price with me and we used their shop for about a 2000 dollar fix.

I have that on my 05' wagon, how do I fix or stop that from getting worse?

only way is to grind it off and cover it. But if you can already see it, then you rusted ALOT more under the actual windshield.

Replace the molding & hope for the best?

molding is installed on glass, then glass is installed into car.

Archived