LegacyGT.com

Bored last Sat so nephew and I test drove the Chevy SS and Audi S4

The R/T Scat Pack starts at $40,990 with destination charge. If you want to add any luxury options like leather seats, you then jump up to $45k. If you check all the boxes to make the R/T Scat Pack truly comparable to a 2014 SS, you're at $47.2k, which is a higher MSRP than the 2014 SS with moon roof and spare.

The 2015 SS also adds the MRC suspension, which is so good that Ferrari licensed it. And of course the 2015 SS also has a no cost manual option, and all Chargers are auto only...even the Hellcat.

The 2015 SS built how I would want it (auto, full size spare, no moon roof) is $48,540 with destination and gas guzzler tax.

A 2015 R/T Scat Pack optioned as close as I can get to what I want (leather, tech pkg, driver confidence pkg, and beats audio, no moon roof) is $46,070 with destination and no gas guzzler tax.

An SRT 392 optioned how I would like it (standard alcantara seats, Harmon Kardon audio, tech pkg, no moon roof) is $51,970 with destination and gas guzzler tax.

For what you are actually getting all three represent an excellent value, even optioned out. I figure the forged 20X9.5 wheels on the SRT 392 and the adjustable suspension which has gotten good reviews and the bigger brakes are likely worth the added cost, particularly the adjustable suspension. The wheels alone are probably a pricey upgrade.

What it will really boil down to for us is when we'll be in the market (SS might be a non option if we have to wait another year), and how aggressive the vendor discount is through work. Last I looked the Chevrolet SS had a minuscule vendor discount, and the Dodge was quite a bit better. So those factors will weigh in against fun to drive factor, and overall vehicle package.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thats cool. I prefer cloth in my DDs anyway. But at least you have boxes to check. There are no boxes to check on the chevy ss to add 70hp to it... are there?

I'm not trying to say the SS is a bad car. But in a year this argument will be irrelevant anyway in the new car market as the SS will be no more.

There's only 3 boxes you can check on a 2015 SS, but I'd gladly take the SS even though the SRT has more power. The Dodge comes with an extra 400+ pounds so the full effect of the extra power isn't realized. The SS is 9.57lbs per hp and the SRT is 9.17. I don't disagree the SRT will still be quicker in a quarter, but there's no way the Dodge can match the Chevy's refinement.

What refinement? I've driven a 2014 SS and a 2012 SRT-8, there's not much difference in refinement between the two that I could tell during a test drive. Other than the abysmal 5 speed auto in the Dodge.

What refinement? I've driven a 2014 SS and a 2012 SRT-8, there's not much difference in refinement between the two that I could tell during a test drive. Other than the abysmal 5 speed auto in the Dodge.

The chassis tuning is great, as is the suspension damping. I've never thought for a second the suspension is harsh, nor have I wished it was stiffer. I've taken it over some pretty rough curves and it stayed perfectly composed and planted. For an electric rack, it actually has a pretty good steering feel in normal mode, but it really comes to life in Competition mode.

I agree with that, the SS has a nice blend of chassis balance handling vs ride. I do have minor complaints with road noise from the tires, mostly on concrete. I did notice the SS is more willing to change direction (400 lbs less weight does make a difference!), but that SRT-8 still wasn't a dunce and had a well controlled suspension with minimal body roll. Grip seemed good too, but skid pad numbers are never the whole story in handling anyway. Steering was good but not as good as the SS.

As mentioned in an earlier post the 6.4L seemed like the stronger engine between the two, particularly above 50mph. The 5 speed auto sucked shit through a straw though, the SS has a better auto than a 2012 SRT-8.

Seats in both were supportive and comfy, front and back. The Dodge has heated rear seats (whofuckingcares...), and the Alcantara is pretty nice but will be harder to care for. Visibility in the SS is a bit better, but I didn't have any bad blind spots in the Dodge. The fold down rear seats in the Dodge might be an advantage for some but, I own a truck so I could care less.

I do like the MDS in the Dodge, and the new 8 speed is supposed to be excellent. Again the SS has atrocious fuel economy ratings for some reason, and fuel range is a concern.

I have to decide which car works best for my type of driving. We have twisty roads in the Black Hills, but both cars will easily exceed the limits I would take either to on a public road. I also do a lot of driving on two lane highways with a need for midrange passing power, neither car is slow (far from it) but the stronger runner from 60-90MPH gets bonus points. Neither car is likely to ever see a race track of any kind though so absolute top speed doesn't mean much. Both have great brakes, so that is a wash.

There is also the wife factor. She likes the SS, as do I, she felt confident driving it. So she has a say as well, and if she totally prefers the SS then it will get the nod. I could probably be totally happy with either car, but if she's more comfy in the SS then I'm gonna buy one if I can. If we like the 2015 Charger SRT 392 more then that will get the nod.

Let's face it both are good choices and screaming deals for what you get.

The dodge Charger R/T scat pack seems to have the 4 door muscle market cornered right now. 38k for 485hp. That is 70 more than the SS and it costs 7-8k less. Not to mention the fact they aren't making the SS after 2015. So the charger really will be the only 4 door muscle car in that price range.

Very true but just an fyi, the SS will be built through 2016.

The R/T Scat Pack starts at $40,990 with destination charge. If you want to add any luxury options like leather seats, you then jump up to $45k. If you check all the boxes to make the R/T Scat Pack truly comparable to a 2014 SS, you're at $47.2k, which is a higher MSRP than the 2014 SS with moon roof and spare.

The 2015 SS also adds the MRC suspension, which is so good that Ferrari licensed it. And of course the 2015 SS also has a no cost manual option, and all Chargers are auto only...even the Hellcat.

If you want a 6spd manual...there ya go. Beyond the MRC, the 2015's get brake torque vectoring similar to the new STI & rear Brembos. There is an interesting thread on SSforums of a guy who forgot about competition mode and when he enabled it the understeer was gone. Can't wait to play around with the BTV.

Thats cool. I prefer cloth in my DDs anyway. But at least you have boxes to check. There are no boxes to check on the chevy ss to add 70hp to it... are there?

I'm not trying to say the SS is a bad car. But in a year this argument will be irrelevant anyway in the new car market as the SS will be no more.

The SS comes fully loaded for what you pay which is a great deal. I realize there are power options for Ford, Dodge, and Chevy but just an intake and tune really wakes up the SS. 0-120 in 11 seconds is more than I need. The performance differential is so small it's almost not worth mentioning. Except the SS, to me anyway, feels a bit more grown up. It's heavy but feels like it weighs much less. The cabin is huge and there are tons of room in the back seat.

There's only 3 boxes you can check on a 2015 SS, but I'd gladly take the SS even though the SRT has more power. The Dodge comes with an extra 400+ pounds so the full effect of the extra power isn't realized. The SS is 9.57lbs per hp and the SRT is 9.17. I don't disagree the SRT will still be quicker in a quarter, but there's no way the Dodge can match the Chevy's refinement.

Now this is what makes the SS so interesting to me. We should just start calling it a 3500# car because that is how it feels and behaves on the road. The chassis is just better if you want more of a driver's car. I really like the Dodge offerings but after driving both (beyond my hating the interior styling) they both feel heavier. Now the seats are just frigging awesome in the SRT's but having a coworker who has one...they won't stay good looking for too long. I think Dodge is sourcing some crappy leather. His are cracking and that shouldn't happen.

In materials I agree. Personally I can't stand the interior of any of the Dodges. Mustang maybe but it may as well be only a 2 seater.

The chassis tuning is great, as is the suspension damping. I've never thought for a second the suspension is harsh, nor have I wished it was stiffer. I've taken it over some pretty rough curves and it stayed perfectly composed and planted. For an electric rack, it actually has a pretty good steering feel in normal mode, but it really comes to life in Competition mode.

It is surprising just how good they can make a heavy car feel/handle. .95G+ and a 24.8 slalom is surprising.

Let's face it both are good choices and screaming deals for what you get.

Amen to that and we like choices.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Please share your SSForums.com screen name so I can pick you out in the crowd.

dsgerbc

How much was it? How long before you get a supercharger for it?

GM supplier price + $1k off 'private offer'.

Not sure on the supercharger. I generally do my own tuning unless I can buddy up with some pro-level motorsports engine tuner, so most likely I'll have to do lots of reading first.

Hennessey HPE650 Supercharged SS Upgrade

Power:

• 650 bhp @ 6,200 rpm

The HPE650 Supercharged Upgrade Includes:

• 2.3 Liter Supercharger System

• Ported Cylinder Heads

• HPE Air Induction System

• Upgraded Valvetrain Parts

• HPE650 Camshaft

• High Flow Fuel Injector Upgrade

• 160 Degree Thermostat

• Professional Installation

• HPE Engine Management Calibration

• Dyno Tuning & Road Testing

• Hennessey HPE650 Exterior Badging

• Serial-Numbered Dash & Engine Plaques

• Hennessey Premium Floor Mats

• 3 Year / 36,000 Mile Limited Warranty

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/chevrolet-ss-hpe650.html

OR

Hennessey HPE1000 Twin Turbo SS Upgrade

Power:

• 1000 bhp @ 6,300 rpm

The HPE1000 Twin Turbo Upgrade Includes:

• 427 cid LSX Engine

• Forged Low Compression Pistons

• Forged Steel Connecting Rods

• Callies 4340 Forged Steel Crank

• Balanced and Blueprinted

• ARP Main Studs & Head Bolts

• Ported Cylinder Heads

• Upgraded Valvetrain Parts

• HPE1000 Camshaft

• FAST LSX Intake Manifold

• Upgraded Fuel Injectors

• Upgraded Fuel System (Includes Lines, Rails & Pump)

• Twin Ball Bearing Turbochargers

• Dual Wastegates

• Electronic Boost Controller

• Stainless Steel Piping and Exhaust

• Air-to-Air Intercooler

• High-Flow K&N Air Filter

• 160 Degree Thermostat

• Professional Installation

• HPE Engine Management Calibration

• Dyno Tuning & Road Testing

• Hennessey HPE1000 Exterior Badging

• Serial-Numbered Dash & Engine Plaques

• Hennessey Premium Floormats

• 1 Year / 12,000 Mile Limited Warranty

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/chevrolet-ss-hpe1000.html

Drew888 all over the net, why change it.

I'm looking at the exact same deal.

Whipple most likely as it's CARB legal. Not until I'm into the second year of ownership to be able to sneak it past the wife and avoid a divorce :)

dsgerbc

GM supplier price + $1k off 'private offer'.

Not sure on the supercharger. I generally do my own tuning unless I can buddy up with some pro-level motorsports engine tuner, so most likely I'll have to do lots of reading first.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

The addiction continues. I got the SS specifically so I wouldn't have to mod it to make it fast. lol

I'm going to have the only stock SS in a few years. Well, minus a couple pieces. I picked up a used grille and emblem so I can make a honeycomb grille with a flowtie. BUT THAT'S IT! Well...ok...next year I need to pick up some new wheels and tires. Probably Apex PS7, but nothing else!

I'm not too active on the forums, but I think it's pretty funny to see the same guys on the two different forums. I've been eyeing the SS for a couple of months. I'm planning on looking for one in September. Hoping to get a low mileage 2015 at that point.

I'm not too active on the forums, but I think it's pretty funny to see the same guys on the two different forums. I've been eyeing the SS for a couple of months. I'm planning on looking for one in September. Hoping to get a low mileage 2015 at that point.

You might be better off going with a brand new leftover 15. I got a leftover 14 for a price that most used SSes are listed above.

First tests of the Scat Pack Charger came out. It's a good amount quicker than the SS as predicted, but that interior though...barf. Plastic Fantastic! http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-dodge-charger-r-t-scat-pack-test-review

12.4 @ 115MPH. That is really very very quick. The 0-60 at 4.1 is also nothing to sneeze at.

The interior leaves a bit to be desired in a few areas, but alas so does the interior in the SS. One doesn't get near super sedan performance at everyday mortal prices, and a super swanky interior. I will note the interior in the SRT model and the Hellcat are supposedly better, that Scat Pack is pretty basic inside.

For comparison:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01ByQNpdV90]2015 Dodge Charger SRT 392 - WR TV POV Test Drive - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbAKS1yOwuI]2014 Chevrolet SS - WR TV POV Test Drive - YouTube[/ame]

Both are utilizing a lot of plastics in the dash, although the SS does have an edge on the passenger side with the alcantara. I do wonder how it will hold up long term, and how hard it would be to keep clean (yes I'm a neat freak). In the instrument section and center stack I slightly prefer the Dodge, and I openly dislike the chrome look plastic in the SS. Didn't like it in person, don't like it in photos either. The honeycomb trim in the Dodge to me looks better. Of course that is subjective. I did like the HUD in the SS, a feature not found on the Dodge at all. I am also of the opinion that the Dodge infotainment screen is slightly nicer, as is the TFT display between the speedo and tach.

Either way still a tough decision, and I'm sure I would (will hopefully) be thrilled with either car.

In no way whatsoever is the Scat Pack's interior on the same level as the SS's The SS has Alcantara on both sides of the dash, doors, and seats. The SS's dash is also trimmed with soft, contrast stitched real leather. There are some bits of hard plastic in the car, it is a Chevy after all, but I think they make good use of it with a touch of piano black and the satin aluminum trim.

Overall I just prefer the styling of the SS's interior over the Dodge, regardless of trim. The Dodge definitely did get the better gauges. The SS's gauges are definitely lacking for a high performance car, but I must admit, I hardly use them since I have the HUD. Why the SS didn't get all of the performance apps the Holden's got, I have no idea, but the apps are available in the aftermarket with a reprogram.

Archived