LegacyGT.com

Bored last Sat so nephew and I test drove the Chevy SS and Audi S4

Well this past Monday I had the opportunity to test drive a CPO '11 S4 with a 6 spd manual and sports diff. Black with leather interior. This car seemed almost fully loaded less the 19" wheels. It was off lease with the carfax showing 2yrs 9 months from the previous owner. 27K miles on it. No accidents, clean body, and minor scuffs on the lips of the rims. Car started up nice and drove very well. Only gripe is the slight size increase over the LGT, the longer shift throws compared to my Kartboy STS, and the feel of the electric power steering. Kinda vague and disconnected. Power comes on smooth with a fairly wide torque curve. Very quiet ride compared to the LGT even at high speed. You hear a little audible noise of the supercharger. Brakes are fantastic. Very good feel. Clutch feels about the same as a BMW clutch. Not as heavy as the LGT but a little hard to gauge the pickup point. I always felt the Japanese brands seem to make clutches that felt more connected. The car would include the balance of the factory warranty which is 4yrs/50K whichever first then afterwards the CPO warranty kicks in with only 2yrs/50K. Very very meager IMHO. BTW I kinda walked because they wanted 37K for it before taxes and reg...35K seems to be fair considering its a manual.
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drew888 and all. I think in the end I realise I prefer just buying a great platform that has the factory warrantied power you want from day one and only requires a few minor upgrades. I love my LGT but with all the mods, different turbos, tunes, and mileage its beat to all hell when compared to a car that is stock or with minor mods.

37k seems like a decent price if its optioned out with the sports diff. Many of the cars I see online don't have the sports diff.

Just kinda hard to stomach that much for a used car. Or slightly used.

• 1 month later...

Old news but a good read. I drove the 2014 S4 and SS back to back and refinement due only to the awesome Audi transmission (as the SS interior quality is good), and the familiar awd handling don't make up the +$20k difference. The SS only comes fully loaded and it really is Loaded.

After test driving the SS my only interior complaint was the steering wheel and they have now found out the ZL1 steering wheel fits nicely.

Just under 400 whp/tq with a full exhaust and tune. More is around the corner as Whipple, Magnuson, and Lingenfelter are working on superchargers/power packages (all the superchargers are CARB legal).

This decision is getting easier and easier. Pesonally, my final purchase decision comes from what the 2015 model brings. That and the wait will help me get this past the wife :)

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

You may have seen this already... Dude got 24.2 doing 65 for 20 min down the freeway with a intake and tune. He has 2200mi on it so between the engine loosening up and the tune...not to bad.

http://www.ssforums.com/forum/new-2014-ss-general-discussion-forum/12666-roto-fab-livernois-tune-awesome-mpg.html

Different C/D perhaps.

How is real world fuel economy? I can't figure out how a Camaro SS with essentially the same engine, same transmission, same tires, same rear end ratio, and same weight does 24mpg highway; whereas the SS only gets 21mpg?

This seems strange to me. Either way there is a strong chance I'll own one of these sooner than later. I have looked at two of them and found them quite comfortable and nicely finished. Shockingly nice inside to be honest. Sometimes you can just sit in a car and tell it is going to be good, it seems to encourage you to hop in and eat up some miles quickly. BMW's are like that, and so is the SS.

Drew888...you have a bit more options than I do since you live in SoCal....kinda need AWD for a daily driver. Still at a crossroads...do I chance a used S4 or even 335xi for 30-35K then deal with anticipated maintenance or get a new 2015 WRX with less appealing looks, tech, and fit/finish.

Someone on SSForums just posted his drag times from this past Sat and his best was a 12.6 @113 with a 2.0 60'. Not too shaby.

Yes I'm whoring out this thread. I suppose you can tell I'd own one if the stars were aligned just right. Still working to get it past the wife.

Whipple just posted about their Supercharger kit. With only other mod being a CAI and tune they dyno'd 570 Whp on 91 (did I say CARB legal). :) That's over 660 crank, that you never have to worry about reliability or smog, hp.

Don't kid yourself, in the long term it will affect reliability. To the point it would be overly problematic to maintain the car, no, but eventually making that much more power is going to affect internal engine components. You gotta pay to play.

That said I still like the car and might buy one if I can swing it here in a another year.

Well Drew in homage to this thread me, myself, and I went for a test drive of a 2011 335xi with auto. Almost impossible to find a manual sedan. Actually found it great to drive so I bought it...lol.

Wow, on the matter of the Chevy SS, Penguin and I are like two brothers from another mother. I too, find the quoted MPG to be abysmal and would like an explanation and/or real-world reporting. 14mpg in this day and age, I find, almost outright unacceptable.

• 1 month later...

I agree that in this day and age it should be better but it's all we have and I won't deny myself owning it because of that. That's really the only negative to the SS and one I personally don't give a crap about. I drive my LGT fairly aggressively each time I get in it and I'm currently getting 15mpg. I didn't buy the Subaru for gas mileage and it's the last thing on my mind for the SS.

Loosened up engines are doing better on mileage. Most are seeing 23-24 on the hwy and 16 around town (granted, then it matches the Camaro).

Fully optioned (loads of tech) full sized family hauler, 12.9 @ 110, over 300wtq at less than 1500rpm, .95 g, near 50/50 weight distribution (R&T had it beat an AWD E63AMG around their track), 5-50 times of 4.8 sec (to put that into perspective the 2015 STI is 6.5 sec).

There just isn't another performance sedan option under $47k that is worth buying. Save your pennies to later install a CARB legal SC then take it to another level. I'm contemplating having to pay to put my car almost back to stock to pass smog this Dec. to what??? pay again to put it all back. I may...or I may not. We'll see.

I would get serious performance and never worry about smog again...that has an appeal for sure.

R&T testing early this year.

This shows a 7.1 sec 5-60 rolling start (becoming more popular as a "real world" measure). While the 0-60 is 4.8. Torque helps and the turbo lag hinders. From a dig you are winding it up before launch.

Just a bit more to chew on, 5-60 times:

Chevy SS......................4.8.....$47k fully optioned

Caddillac CTS-VSport.....5.4.....$60k fully optioned

BMW 335i M Sport.........5.5.....$52k almost fully optioned

Cadillac ATS 3.6.............5.8.....$49k almost fully optioned

Lexus IS 350 F Sport......6.2.....$49k Not sure if fully optioned or not

Of all of these, only the V-Sport matches the SS's performance but for $13k more. I'm saving pennies for the 2015, more colors, different aero, manual option, and MRC suspension.

R&T testing early this year.

This shows a 7.1 sec 5-60 rolling start (becoming more popular as a "real world" measure). While the 0-60 is 4.8. Torque helps and the turbo lag hinders. From a dig you are winding it up before launch.

Yep, because the world is beginning to realize that 220-230whp isn't really shit anymore. And unless you can launch pinging the rev limiter your car isn't really any faster than a maxima.

Archived