LegacyGT.com

Bored last Sat so nephew and I test drove the Chevy SS and Audi S4

Out of curiosity your friend with the R/T, what specific problem does his car have?

This is a 2006 so much less relative. He tells me there were issues up to 2008 with valve seats. His engine dropped a valve but not anymore aware of the specifics. Dodge paid for a long block & intake (he's not much of a car guy so I'd have to look over his invoice for more). He just got it back a couple of days ago.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still indicative of how Dodge takes care of customers under warranty, or even outside of warranty.

Although with a car that was probably put into service in 2005 or 2006, I wouldn't expect much unless it was Hyundai.

Dang.. Stumbled on this thread, and you guys got me interested in a new car again. I'm also looking at a 4-door car of some kind (have a family), would love a V8. Also curious about a Tesla X (live in Bay Area, have solar panels, etc) - if it's anything like the model S, it'll be competitive with some of these..

Just using truecar.com, prices near me come out like this though (rounded to next highest $1k):

Taurus SHO: $35K (base)

Charger Scat pack: $43K

Charger 392: $52K

SS: $46K (base)

That's $8k cheaper for the Taurus over the base Scat Pack and over $10K less than an SS. Granted, there's also a ~100-120 hp difference in hp, but, I hear tuning the 3.5 ecoboost is easy.. Not saying it's the winner or anything, but for mid-30s, it's hard to discount as a bargain option, especially with AWD - have to consider it instead of a 3.6R, for example.

Also, all the Dodge/Chrysler dealers in this area get a rating of like 1.9-2.5 on yelp. All of them. They ALL suck. As much as I like the idea of a Charger, having had our Grand Caravan for 6 years, I doubt I'll ever get another Dodge/Chrysler/FCA/whatever product again as long as I live in this area - life's too short for grief like that.

So, SS or Cadillac is very interesting, but.. getting to very expensive territory.. We do ok, but I'm not a dotcom millionaire or anything..

I just picked up a 2015 Charger R/T Road and Track 2 weeks ago. Really happy so far and the Road and Track package rides (around town and freeway so far anyway) similar to my specB with Swifts.

I originally went into it looking for a Scat Pack, but they are non-existent locally (all are 'in transit' for who knows how long.) There are a TON of Challenger Scats and Charger Hellcats available tho...

Not sure what dealer you've been using in the Bay, but we've had good luck with Normandin for the wifes GC Limited over the past year or so. My Charger will be going there for service when needed as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted a bunch of dealers through Edmunds and every single one came back via e-mail offering their cars at $46 and change. This is regarding 2015's with roof and spare.

If you're at all interested in an SS now is a good time. If you qualify as a GM supplier then another $15-1600 off of that.

Not sure what dealer you've been using in the Bay, but we've had good luck with Normandin for the wifes GC Limited over the past year or so. My Charger will be going there for service when needed as well.

I looked at yelp reviews, they're all in the crapper for Dodge dealers around here (as far as service - sales are often good :-). We bought from the one at Automall that disappeared in 2009 during the Chrysler restructuring. There's a new one there now, which is closer to home, so I'll give that one a try next.

I think it was Stevens Creek that, at 30k miles (bought the GC at 26k as an off-rental) suggested we do a $700 service, including spark plugs, I think tranny flush, etc.. At 30k!! Plugs are specced at 105K on this engine (3.8 V6)! I did let them do an alignment..

So I went to Normandin next time, made an appointment for key replacement under recall. Set up the appointment specifically for the key recall. Drove 1 hour out of my way (from work - I work near 101/237), got there - sorry, no keys. But, while you're here, would you like this other work done?

Waited a while, made ANOTHER appointment for the keys. Get there (again, way out of my way): sorry, no keys. At which point I raised my voice a little to (I think) the service manager and said: "Sir, this is the 2nd appointment I've made for these keys, and the first one, I came in and said you didn't have them after all. So, I made another appointment, JUST for these keys, made sure the person knew about it, when they gave me the appointment, they said the keys were ready and now that I get here, you tell me they're not. This has now happened 2 times. Please tell me exactly what I need to do to avoid wasting another 1-2 hours off work waiting for this recall." Semi-loud, but not angry voice, at least 1 or 2 other customers within earshot, with more or less those words (no profanity, etc). 5 minutes later, they found a set of keys for me. :orly: Homey don't play that game.

Avoided both of 'em like the plague ever since. Reviews of the one at automall (for service) aren't great either, but at least it's closer to home..

Routine service at my independent mechanic has been great. Dealer service has been nearly as bad as getting my green card...

I contacted a bunch of dealers through Edmunds and every single one came back via e-mail offering their cars at $46 and change. This is regarding 2015's with roof and spare.

If you're at all interested in an SS now is a good time. If you qualify as a GM supplier then another $15-1600 off of that.

Wow.. Sounds like a nice deal. Unfortunately, not ready to buy just yet - I figure I'm going to ride the LGT for 2-3 more years, if she holds up, and then look around. Maybe the Tesla 3 will be ready by then :lol:

Just checked for fun: SS going around $47k base, $48k with sunroof/spare here (according to truecar.com, which I take as a guide, not a definite final word).

Charger has some interesting trends right now:

RT is 4.4k off MSRP, RT Scat and SRT are 1.2% over MSRP, and Hellcat is 11.3% over MSRP (~73k)!

Challenger (actual):

RT: 3k off MSRP, RT Scat is 2.3k off MSRP, SRT 2.8K off, Hellcat 5% over at 64.2 (MSRP 61)

So yeah, tons of Challengers out there (except maybe 'Cats), not many Chargers (except for RT). Not that surprising from where I'm sitting. If I want a hot 2-door coupe for $45K+, Mustang/Camaro are pretty impressive. Not as much competition for 4 doors, hence more chargers being sold.

I still love, LOVE the styling of the Challenger way more than the Mustang or Camaro. If they could make it with 4 doors and still look like that..

The Challenger is stuck as a muscle car while the Mustang and Camaro are bonafide sports cars. Even true more so with the 2016 Camaro.

90% of owners will cruise the streets and only romp the throttle here and there and they'll look best doing it in the challenger. With 485hp it will romp the throttle just fine as well. As I said it looks the best of the three IMO. Most people seem to agree.

I do agree though that these late gen mopars have not been able to keep up with Camaro/mustang performance numbers. They always have the power but are heavy and crude suspension wise.

90% of owners will cruise the streets and only romp the throttle here and there and they'll look best doing it in the challenger. With 485hp it will romp the throttle just fine as well. As I said it looks the best of the three IMO. Most people seem to agree.

I do agree though that these late gen mopars have not been able to keep up with Camaro/mustang performance numbers. They always have the power but are heavy and crude suspension wise.

Couldn't have said it better myself. And since I need 4 doors, Charger is the only one I can consider (of Charger/Challenger/Mustang/Camaro). New Alfa looks nice (4 doors, 500+ hp), but probably hideously expensive..

• 2 weeks later...

I almost forgot to update you guys.

A black SS is in my driveway!! For a muscle car it's an elegant beast. Love it!

Holden did a mighty fine job with this one. Pics a little later.

Drew

Well I'm a day later than Drew on this one. Mine is Silver Ice Metallic, the only color being less noticeable would be white.

Hoping this makes for a good Q Ship, although it has already received a few strange looks at rest areas and gas stations when I start it. Yes I have looked for the reactions from people, the only ones who notice are other dudes mostly of the blue collar (my kind of people) middle aged set. They don't notice the car until you fire it up, and the Pavlovian dog whistle of the small block V8 makes them try to figure out where that sound is coming from. The look of mild curiosity is kind of funny as they try to figure out (I imagine) how someone managed to get a Chevy Malibu to sound like it has a V8.

Well I'm a day later than Drew on this one. Mine is Silver Ice Metallic, the only color being less noticeable would be white.

Hoping this makes for a good Q Ship, although it has already received a few strange looks at rest areas and gas stations when I start it. Yes I have looked for the reactions from people, the only ones who notice are other dudes mostly of the blue collar (my kind of people) middle aged set. They don't notice the car until you fire it up, and the Pavlovian dog whistle of the small block V8 makes them try to figure out where that sound is coming from. The look of mild curiosity is kind of funny as they try to figure out (I imagine) how someone managed to get a Chevy Malibu to sound like it has a V8.

I was walking to my SS the other day at Home Depot, as a nearby Camaro SS' owner had just gotten to his. I fired mine up with the remote start and he was looking around befuddled, trying to find what was making that glorious noise. The best part about it, the SS was literally parked directly across the aisle from him.

I am already getting the feeling that the screwing with people factor will be high with this car.

Sturgis should be fun. I don't like douchebags, and the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally brings out a lot of them that think their Harley is fast. Might be good for some laughs here next month.

Holden did a mighty fine job with this one. Pics a little later.

Drew

Well you beat me in getting your car, but I beat you getting pictures posted of mine. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

http://i.imgur.com/9fDs2zC.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nice lookin car right there!

Well you beat me in getting your car, but I beat you getting pictures posted of mine. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

http://i.imgur.com/9fDs2zC.jpg

Drift Motion bought a purple one just a few days ago.

So let's start a new thread in this section. What should it be called? Something that stands out and is obvious that ex Suby owners are into SS's.

Archived