LegacyGT.com

Bored last Sat so nephew and I test drove the Chevy SS and Audi S4

Cam gear bolts came loose. Water pump died 400 miles from home... on Christmas Eve. Currently waiting for a new fan control module. It died 100 miles from home, but fortunately I was able to get home on the highway without it overheating. Power seat motors are intermittent. Various computer/electrical 'gremlins'. Cheap ass, easily broken interior parts. Dodgy trans synchros. Front radiator support is made of glass and breaks if you scrape on a steep driveway. Way too many problems for a 60k mile car.

I love driving it, but at this point I don't trust it to drive out of town, which defeats the whole purpose of owning it. It really pisses me off, 'cause it could be such a great car. The really telling factor is that every time I have a problem, I research it on the 'Vette forums, and there are LOTS of threads about whatever's the problem of the week.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cam gear bolts came loose. Water pump died 400 miles from home... on Christmas Eve. Currently waiting for a new fan control module. It died 100 miles from home, but fortunately I was able to get home on the highway without it overheating. Power seat motors are intermittent. Various computer/electrical 'gremlins'. Cheap ass, easily broken interior parts. Dodgy trans synchros. Front radiator support is made of glass and breaks if you scrape on a steep driveway. Way too many problems for a 60k mile car.

I love driving it, but at this point I don't trust it to drive out of town, which defeats the whole purpose of owning it. It really pisses me off, 'cause it could be such a great car. The really telling factor is that every time I have a problem, I research it on the 'Vette forums, and there are LOTS of threads about whatever's the problem of the week.

Some of these cars do seem to have a lot of small electrical issues, especially in 05. The shitty part of buying a first year car...as I did with my c5. Those issues while annoying are small. The powertrain of the american sports cars is more reliable and much cheaper than other sports cars. And you can actually work on it yourself unlike many other the other cars. If you owned a f430 you would have had to replace the clutch 4 times by now, at a cost of 7k each time. Well if you owned it for 60k miles that is.

LS3 in the SS... Yummy

I'm starting to hang out in the SSforums and everyday they learn something new. It's got a lot going for it.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

How is real world fuel economy? I can't figure out how a Camaro SS with essentially the same engine, same transmission, same tires, same rear end ratio, and same weight does 24mpg highway; whereas the SS only gets 21mpg?

This seems strange to me. Either way there is a strong chance I'll own one of these sooner than later. I have looked at two of them and found them quite comfortable and nicely finished. Shockingly nice inside to be honest. Sometimes you can just sit in a car and tell it is going to be good, it seems to encourage you to hop in and eat up some miles quickly. BMW's are like that, and so is the SS.

As I said previously in the thread, our G8GT routinely returned 26+ on the hwy at 75-80mph. I can't imagine why the SS would be significantly lower.

I saw a black SS on the road today. 1st one I've seen in the 'wild'... looks good. A lot of G8 in it, just with the edges smoothed off.

And the modding begins:

I don't see a Malibu in these pics :D

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Drew_Jones/SS/263vq77_zps713cac41.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Drew_Jones/SS/s4p0es_zps61509949.jpg

And the modding begins:

I don't see a Malibu in these pics :D

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Drew_Jones/SS/263vq77_zps713cac41.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/Drew_Jones/SS/s4p0es_zps61509949.jpg

Meh. Holden badges and some bigger and heavier wheels that will hurt performance rather than help. If by modding your goal is making the car ugly and slower then yes, the owner of that car has succeeded.

Modding to me would be something cool like intake, headers/exhaust, a cam, and tuning with a transmission control to allow for top speed in 6th. The suspension according to instrumented testing is already really good, not sure why some dick weed thinks slamming it down on hella-fail wheels is going to be better than what professional suspension engineers with their own proving grounds came up with.

Meh. Holden badges and some bigger and heavier wheels that will hurt performance rather than help. If by modding your goal is making the car ugly and slower then yes, the owner of that car has succeeded.

Modding to me would be something cool like intake, headers/exhaust, a cam, and tuning with a transmission control to allow for top speed in 6th. The suspension according to instrumented testing is already really good, not sure why some dick weed thinks slamming it down on hella-fail wheels is going to be better than what professional suspension engineers with their own proving grounds came up with.

Who's to say modifications are only done to improve performance? Sounds like these are still mods as the exterior is being changed, thus being modified.

Uh huh. Cosmetics mods. The realm of the ricer.

Nothing wrong with cosmetic mods. That's part of how you make a car yours.

When it passes into the realm of the ridiculous, or actually impedes the performance, that's ricer territory.

That SS is lowered to the extent that the handling and utility will suffer... Pointless IMHO.

Exactly. Hella-flush = Hella-fail.

As for other cosmetics changes, I've never seen much point unless actual vehicle function is improved or the mods cost $0.00. At any rate that SS has been molested in a way that I see as pointless and stupid.

How is real world fuel economy? I can't figure out how a Camaro SS with essentially the same engine, same transmission, same tires, same rear end ratio, and same weight does 24mpg highway; whereas the SS only gets 21mpg?

This seems strange to me. Either way there is a strong chance I'll own one of these sooner than later. I have looked at two of them and found them quite comfortable and nicely finished. Shockingly nice inside to be honest. Sometimes you can just sit in a car and tell it is going to be good, it seems to encourage you to hop in and eat up some miles quickly. BMW's are like that, and so is the SS.

Different C/D perhaps.

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

LOL Penguin, wow so much emotion.

I don't necessarily agree with all mods (cosmetic or otherwise) but I'm pleased it's starting to happen. it only provides owners more options and that is never a bad thing. There is a couple of guys just now taking it down the 1/4 mi and I'm hoping soon someone will take it to the track.

You can't beat the oem rims for function as they are forged and probably 10lbs lighter. Those RAYS are about 20# for a 20x10" rim. Not bad for the size. If I picked one up (seriously considering it but at end of summer) I'd have to do something about the chrome. I don't mind what little I have in my Spec-B but not a fan at all in the SS. Other than that, tint, exhaust, and a tune then drive the snot out of it. Maybe save for the supercharger.

LOL Penguin, wow so much emotion.

I don't necessarily agree with all mods (cosmetic or otherwise) but I'm pleased it's starting to happen. it only provides owners more options and that is never a bad thing. There is a couple of guys just now taking it down the 1/4 mi and I'm hoping soon someone will take it to the track.

You can't beat the oem rims for function as they are forged and probably 10lbs lighter. Those RAYS are about 20# for a 20x10" rim. Not bad for the size. If I picked one up (seriously considering it but at end of summer) I'd have to do something about the chrome. I don't mind what little I have in my Spec-B but not a fan at all in the SS. Other than that, tint, exhaust, and a tune then drive the snot out of it. Maybe save for the supercharger.

LS3's with blowers are for pussies. Real men build a totally insane LSX 454 with a lined/sleeved RHS aluminum block and install that in their SS....and then put a blower on it.:lol:

I still can't get over the measly $1700 the dealer wanted for an extra warranty approved 80hp or whatever it was.

Now it I could squeeze into a 2011-12 S4 would I regret it say a year after the warranty ran out?

Now it I could squeeze into a 2011-12 S4 would I regret it say a year after the warranty ran out?

In my experience with German cars you would very much regret it as soon as your German car runs out of warranty. It will give you ample warning to get rid of it beforehand though with all the repairs it will need while still under warranty.

Archived