LegacyGT.com

Bored last Sat so nephew and I test drove the Chevy SS and Audi S4

Despite how most people may feel about the SS I find myself drawn to it. I came seriously close to trading my SpecB for a white G8 GXP a couple years ago only to find out they sold it to someone else. For quite some time afterward another has never come up for sale. Now they are but mileage is too high.

So When I first heard of the SS I was intrigued. I like the idea behind a fairly serious sports sedan that I can afford, lightly mod, and have it more reliable than my LGT. Really, there just isn’t anything else out there. Sure there is now but I’m not a fan of Cadillac for reasons I won’t get into here, the S4 is the only one to consider but too pricy, CLA AMG is too small, ugly, and too pricy. What else is there less than $48k (new-my personal limit)? The Dodge/Chryslers are decent but only the 300 has real rear seats and after outfitting it similar to the SS it’s more expensive (not to mention larger although not by much… size does matter, smaller is better). The SS would be a stretch to afford but with selling the LGT it’s doable.

So in a fit of boredom we head out to take a look. First impression is that it’s larger than I thought. It’s also much better looking in person. I have a tendency to see a car imagining it lightly modded and after the stance is evened out and it’s lowered a bit it would even look better. 245/275’s I like that very much. There was a noticeable distance from the sidewall to the outside of the fender. I’d guess 255/305’s will easily fit.

The interior is not quite up to the S4 we saw later in the day (really not that far off-they did a great job) but soft touch materials everywhere, nice smell of leather, steering wheel was thick and felt good, doors closed with a nice deep “thunk”. Seats could use adjustable side bolsters but were very comfortable. We both studied the interior for a while and were looking for flaws. I found nothing that seemed out of place or illogically designed. We then looked at the back seat and I was…yep, impressed with the back seat. It was nicely raked and very comfortable. This will be a very nice place to be for long trips. Tons of leg room as well.

Next was to ask for a test drive and the salesman had no issue taking us out back to a silver one that had just come in. Exhaust note…a delight, pure audio nirvana (not quite the Mustang’s V8 but ooh so close). What I first noticed was that after I pushed the engine start button I heard it crank over but 5 seconds later in our conversation I had to stop to sort out if I had actually started it. It was very quiet and I wasn’t expecting that. After adjusting the seats/mirrors I found myself very much at home. It’s hard to describe but most new-to-me cars I feel a little awkward in until I get more familiar but not the SS. I felt as comfortable in it as I do my LGT from the first moment.

I’m not a fan of drive by wire anything but the steering was nicely weighted even though it transmits very little of the road through it. My first driving impression was that I expected it to feel faster than my td05 20G but it didn’t. Oh well, moving on. The salesman next said to drive it however you like. I looked at him, got confirmation, then did as he said. Hit the go pedal and listened to that wonderful engine note. After that, and looking for the next thing to experiment with, I found myself playing with the HUD. Very cool feature, multi-display options in color. Even Navigation instructions will appear there if you like. A very sharp display and not at all distracting.

Next was an S turn coming up and I nailed the throttle in the approach and attacked it. Not having driven a rear drive only car in a long time I expected the rear to step out and it did but with no surprise and slight lift of the throttle and it was back again with absolutely no drama. No snapping back in line at all just a subtle re-grab of the tarmac and I was ready for the next turn. It handles very flat and all chassis motions were very predictable. This is a really easy car to drive fast. I was very impressed with the control at the limit (well, as much as a 35 mph zone at 65 can be a limit), the firm but comfortable suspension (very nicely damped-it took to potholes like they weren’t there yet it never upset the chassis, nor were there any strange/harsh suspension noises-simply quiet), and just how solid it felt (not an interior squeak/rattle to be found).

All the tech in this car will keep you busy for weeks going through it all. You can read up on it so I won’t go over that but I will tell you that on SSforums.com there is a thread regarding new things they are discovering and there are many not mentioned in the online reviews. Very cool for the geek in you.

My nephew likes nothing American and I have never owned anything American and I’m thinking I need to get a V8 out of my system at some point. This just may be it. Lowered, CAI, Tune, and only tint and I’ll get close to an additional 50-75hp and it would be one heck of a car that would still be as reliable as stock and the only logical complaint will be around the gas mileage (don’t care) or dealing with all those that will keep reminding me “but dude why did you buy a Chevy”… (also, don’t care).

BTW, getting back to the lack of power feeling I mentioned earlier, well that was my fault. I only noticed the sport mode on the last leg back to the dealership and this was while looking around at a stop light. I clicked it over to Sport and decide to nail it when it turns green. Yep THERE is the power I was looking for. So I had a small taste down a long city block before pulling it back in. Oh well, it was still very very nice and yes, it would take my LGT (maybe).

P.S. still at work and may mention the S4 later in an edit.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good stuff Drew. Lookin forward to hear what you thought about the S4. I thought it's a bit muted, and ridiculously expensive, but there's no denying it's fast. I wish I could try it on a track to really push it.

The #'s on the SS are impressive! 415hp for $43k? Though I think for that range i'd pay the lil extra for the s4 for $48k. Supposedly the 333hp is super underrated, and audi based that number off of a worst case scenario (333hp at high altitudes + high temperatures). I think with a chip it's pushing close to 400hp also.

Please don't trade your spec, I'd like to add my name to your future potential buyer's wait list ; )

The EPA MPG ratings on the SS are surprisingly low...

Our G8GT consistently got 19-20 around town and 25-26 on the highway. I can't believe the SS couldn't match that. I really liked our G8, and it looks like the SS is a more refined update, with a little more power. Really needs a 6MT, though...

Our G8GT consistently got 19-20 around town and 25-26 on the highway. I can't believe the SS couldn't match that. I really liked our G8, and it looks like the SS is a more refined update, with a little more power. Really needs a 6MT, though...

What is the impala rated at? The g8 gt was 16mpg city and 24 mpg freeway. Most people see better than that if they watch that kind of thing.

good stuff Drew. Lookin forward to hear what you thought about the S4. I thought it's a bit muted, and ridiculously expensive, but there's no denying it's fast. I wish I could try it on a track to really push it.

The #'s on the SS are impressive! 415hp for $43k? Though I think for that range i'd pay the lil extra for the s4 for $48k. Supposedly the 333hp is super underrated, and audi based that number off of a worst case scenario (333hp at high altitudes + high temperatures). I think with a chip it's pushing close to 400hp also.

Please don't trade your spec, I'd like to add my name to your future potential buyer's wait list ; )

I still love my car and it's gone a whole year driving very well (burns no oil :) ) but sadly it may go this summer as I'm not ready to pay Mike $2k or so to swap oem parts to it to get it passed only to swap it back again. Do you have any smog connections?

Agree it was somewhat muted but the acceration, sounds, and grip distracted from thinking about it. The S4 is very nice but it rivaled the SS in only three areas, 1) looks, 2) interial materials, 3) a surpurb transmission (rev matched and ooh soo smooth). The design of the interior is bland but also elegant because of the sheer quality of the materials...top notch stuff but maybe a little too elegant if that's possible. Just not enough of the good kind of drama. No soul is a decent way to capture that. I certainly do believe power is underrated as it was damd fast, or felt like it. We had another salesman that actually told us to push it (how things have changed) and we did just that. It understeers and with the traction control it's almost impossible to get the rear out. With it on it will push a little and you could coax a four wheel drift but no way the rear is stepping out. It got the job done again with no drama. This is the executive's drive to work as I cannot imagine the $ spent trying to track it. Too rich for my blood. This dealership had their S4 fully loadded and it had a $59k sticker. Greatest thing about this car is the dealer backed tune adding 70 or so HP for $1700 that didn't invalidate the warranty. I'd have jumped all over the S4 for that reason alone if the asking $ was closer to $48k. To get one for that price it'll be used and maybe 15-20k miles on it. What is the difference from last years S4? It could be worth looking into. Did I just say that?? The SS lowered, with another 100hp, and maybe a slightly louder exhaust (way too quiet on the inside) it would be a beast. A presense not possible to get in any Audi shy of the R8.

Compaired to the SS the SS in sport mode (gawd dang it) was just as quick (maybe the S4 edges it out but too hard to tell. The speed sensation was too similar), had more interior room, much more comfortable rear seats, better engine/exhaust sounds (by a long mile), more tech the driver can play with, and I believe the long term ownership costs will be much cheaper. IMO, the technological advancements in the S4's engine and especially in that glorious transmission do command a high price all by themselves but even acknowledging that it's just too hard to spend more over the SS for what you actually receive. The SS pulls a G in the skidpad and drives like a car weighing 500# less. It, like the S4, has grip that should embarrass a modded LGT. Starting with a platform that is at that level then modding it takes driving enjoyment to another level. Something has to be said for slapping down your hard earned coin and just driving it at a level that puts a grin from ear to ear without having to spend a couple hundred hours/yr in the garage to someday get close (it will never ever be close-who are we kidding). The SS adds a little more driving drama but the very good kind. It really is easy to drive fast and it's fun doing it.

That all said I love the SS and I fell in love with the S4 but for different reasons. A corner carver will enjoy both. A competative carver would prefer the S4. $1700 for factory warrantied mods = what a blessing indeed. For all other reasons, the SS hands down (remember a CAI, exhaust , and tune is close to an extra 70whp).

I like the SS a lot, but those em pee gees are bad. Hopefully the next version of the car will lose a couple hundred pounds and gain an extra cog or two. I hear GM's 8 speed Hydra-Matic is almost ready.

When I step on it which is on boost at every shift (if you don't you are not driving your car my friends) I get around 19. Do the same in an SS and it's 14.5 so yes it sucks but my previous commute was 45mi each way and I was filling up 2-3 times/wk. Now it's 25 mi and I would still come out ahead. So it all depends on how you look at it. I'm not considering anything around it's mileage because if I go down that road the practical side of me may win and I'll drive a Passat Diesel (I killed off my practical side long ago-burried in the back yard). Life is too short and I refuse.

I really hope they add the 8 spd hydro that would be awesome.

The G8 GXP got worse mileage than the G8 and the SS is 200# lighter with the same chassis, drivetrain, and engine. Mileage does improve once it's broken in. If you are very easy on the throttle you can get maybe 19 around town and with it's torque you shouldn't really feel a need to nail it unless a 335i looks at you the wrong way at a light.

The SS destroys it in the refinement catagory. Sorry to be so harsh but this is no exaggeration. They did a heck of a job on the interior. My one and only complaint so far is the fake seat openings for a race belt. (what is that?). The HUD...love the HUD. G meter, Nav, speed, rpm, etc all in color.

I have a1996 Chevy Impala SS. The last year the made them.I've owned it since 2004. I've been waiting for a long time for another SS to replace it. It sounds like from all the reviews it's everything and now that I've wanted. Thanks for your review!

You ever checked out a A6? The current C7 A6 3.0t has a 8 speed. It returns about 27 mpg on the highway. Owners report sub 5 second 0-60s and low to mid 13s. Tuning for them is expensive, but a new tune and a pulley swap nets some really impressive gains. CPO 2012s can be had for under $40k.

You ever checked out a A6? The current C7 A6 3.0t has a 8 speed. It returns about 27 mpg on the highway. Owners report sub 5 second 0-60s and low to mid 13s. Tuning for them is expensive, but a new tune and a pulley swap nets some really impressive gains. CPO 2012s can be had for under $40k.

So a car with the same hp as an STI but 600lbs+more weight runs the same 1/4 mile time? That must be one impressive drivetrain/suspension setup.

So a car with the same hp as an STI but 600lbs+more weight runs the same 1/4 mile time? That must be one impressive drivetrain/suspension setup.

The 3.0t is highly underrated and for being a torque converter auto, the trans is very good.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1107_2012_audi_a6_first_test/

The 3.0t is highly underrated and for being a torque converter auto, the trans is very good.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1107_2012_audi_a6_first_test/

Those are good numbers. 13.4 at 104mph, I also saw a 13.6 at 103mph and a 13.8 at 101mph. The ss with the ls3 will most likely trap 106-110mph with a similar 1/4 mile time.

Being a 4cyl turbo guy for so long I didn't know just how strong the LS3 really is.

All over the net I see +150-200 HP and it stays as reliable as stock. Only thing that throws a wrench in all of this is that a supercharger is $7k but at least it's CARB legal.

Imagine it with 525hp/535tq. :D

Being a 4cyl turbo guy for so long I didn't know just how strong the LS3 really is.

All over the net I see +150-200 HP and it stays as reliable as stock. Only thing that throws a wrench in all of this is that a supercharger is $7k but at least it's CARB legal.

Imagine it with 525hp/535tq. :D

You either go FI or cam/head/intake. Cam is 400-500, heads 2500,intake 1100. Only problem is the bigger the cam, the less drivable it is and with a big cam you will really be wanting a bigger stall. But god do cammed engines sound great.

• 3 weeks later...
Drove an IS-F this weekend and was really impressed. If it had less miles, I'd have been very interested (08 w/ 90k). Dealer was asking $34k... If I could pick one up for ~$30k w/ ~50k miles I think it would be a great car.

Drove an IS-F this weekend and was really impressed. If it had less miles, I'd have been very interested (08 w/ 90k). Dealer was asking $34k... If I could pick one up for ~$30k w/ ~50k miles I think it would be a great car.

Living in the snow belt kinda takes it off the list for me.

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

I know the lexus is more reliable but for 30-35k I have seen 06-08 M5s with 60-90k miles on them. I would have to take the 8500rpm v10 over the lexus.

I know the lexus is more reliable but for 30-35k I have seen 06-08 M5s with 60-90k miles on them. I would have to take the 8500rpm v10 over the lexus.

Not a chance in hell I'd own a high mile M5 without a COMPREHENSIVE warranty.... :lol:

E60 M5s are notoriously unreliable, especially the SMG cars

I know this, but something about a v10 in a front engine 4 door calls to me. Plus its not like any german sports car has the best reliability ratings or low cost ot maintain. Pretty much any merc you will never leave the dealer without dropping 1k.... and that is if you are lucky and it just needs some routine BS. Audi has had its fair share of problems as well. If you want cheap to work on and reliable performance vehicle American vehicles get the thumbs up.

If you want cheap to work on and reliable performance vehicle American vehicles get the thumbs up.

Not even sure about that... My C6 (which I haven't owned a year yet) has been the least reliable used vehicle I've ever had, and I've owned a LOT. The performance is incredible, but the quality is crap.

Not even sure about that... My C6 (which I haven't owned a year yet) has been the least reliable used vehicle I've ever had, and I've owned a LOT. The performance is incredible, but the quality is crap.

Sorry to hear that. What issues have you had? I have owned multiple trans ams, and a c5 and have never had major issues with the trans ams. The corvette had trans issues after 110kmiles.

Archived