LegacyGT.com

Bored last Sat so nephew and I test drove the Chevy SS and Audi S4

The reality is you may be waiting a very long time. The SS may not make it past the end of 2015. Right now they are $43 and change. 2015's are $47 -48 and after they sit on the lots a bit maybe more like $44-45k. Once they are all gone the prices should climb just the the G8 GXP's then hold its value really well. No matter how you look at it, there isn't a stronger performance bargain out there.

You just shat all over my Friday morning.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You just shat all over my Friday morning.

There are deals out there and you have to be ready to buy at the tip of a hat. FC Kerbeck in Atlantic City sold 2 2014 SSes for 36.5k just because they were taking up floor space. They currently have a brand new '14 listed for $39k.

There's 2 CPO SSes near me for under 40k with hardly any miles. One has 1700 miles and it's white. I wish my LGT would just sell already so I could go pick it up.

There is talk of it going away all together and putting an SS badge on the Impala on the next platform. If we are lucky it's an AWD twin turbo v6, but very unlikely. Check out the latest talk on the SS forums.

I saw that the new thought is that there would be no new SS after this model run. But like you said, that should make these hold their values extremely well, which is how I've rationalized spending ~$40k on a car.

Awesome!! What color? Did you order the full size spare? I'm researching dealers now and hope to put some $ down this week or next but I'm cutting it close. Mid DEC & they cut off ordering for 2015. I can't decide between the blue or white.

It should do as well as the Pontiac G8 GXP. That makes for really cheap ownership!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

I test drove a red 2014 SS tonight. Pretty sure I found my next car...just not that one.

I wasn't all that happy that the rear facing child seat didn't fit behind me without me being at practically a 90 degree angle, but it did fit in the middle just fine. So I guess our 9 month old will sit behind the passenger seat in the permanently mounted rear facing child seat and our future arrival will take over the center position in the removable child seat.

I also thought the trunk would be a bit bigger. It was long and wide, just not as deep as I figured it'd be, but at least it has a full size spare.

Funny story though...I used the "not fitting" as my exit strategy. The sales lady suggested I should look at the new Cadillacs like a CTS or an ATS because they would definitely work for me. I pointed to our ATS and said, "You think that car is bigger than an SS?" Lol

Awesome!! What color? Did you order the full size spare? I'm researching dealers now and hope to put some $ down this week or next but I'm cutting it colse. Mid DEC & they cut off ordering for 2015. I can't decide between the blue or white.

It should do as well as the Pontiac G8 GXP. That makes for really cheap ownership!

I wanted proper white since I missed the Aspen White STI, so it's heroin white for me. Got the spare too. Good luck with your dealer search, better hurry up.

Here's why one shouldn't expect the SS to hold value as well as G8 GXP. It had a single model-year run, was sold in far fewer numbers into a terrible economy (vehicle sales under 10 million a year). Once the worst was over, general used car values jumped simply because there were so few new cars sold in late-2008--2009. G8 GXP did somewhat better than average I guess. The SS is being sold into the market with 16.5-million vehicle sales, there will be more of them, there will be my2014 automatics that went way under invoice late in the year. So, I don't expect mine to hold its value like G8 GXP. Maybe it will, after all it is probably the last accessible RWD V8 Sedan, but I'm not betting on it.

It would be very nice if it eventually followed the GXP but this car is unique. I will easily see myself in it for the next 5-7 or maybe 8 years without issue so in reality it doesn't really matter as much.

Wife is telling me to put my car up for sale now and to buy the white one down the street as they should be a bit more motivated at years end.

This would be my first v8 and first auto. Yes I'm actually looking forward to it. None of my family can drive stick so this also gives us options.

I'm looking forward already to Holden badging, tint, intake, exhaust, & tune and 400 to the ground and 350 of that coming on so low in the revs it's shocking. The kicker is .95-98g with a 3900lb car and 24.7mph slalom. My nicely modded Shrek probably barely does that now. Imagine spending a tax return a year from now for an extra 150 whp in a CA smog legal car! That's what I'm talking about.

If I wanted the auto and lived in CA, I would've probably picked one up by now. Magnetic ride is nice, but if your roads are smooth the benefit isn't huge. I'm sure you'd be able to get it now at a price close to the ones Kerbeck was liquidating.

Wife was on board with getting an SS, then it snowed and she's back to her preoccupation with AWD.

Ugh.

I'd love to pick up a deeply discounted 2014 or use my GM vendor discount to snag a 2015 with MRC. Sadly she does not drive a manual, so either way the auto would get the nod.

Wife was on board with getting an SS, then it snowed and she's back to her preoccupation with AWD.

Ugh.

I'd love to pick up a deeply discounted 2014 or use my GM vendor discount to snag a 2015 with MRC. Sadly she does not drive a manual, so either way the auto would get the nod.

I thought the auto was pretty good. Shifts were fast and firm. Downshifting with the paddles was fun too

I don't really have any major complaints with the auto, other than wishing it was an 8 speed...and wishing it were paired to the new LT1.

I really enjoyed the car that I drove though, I think MRC would be useful for us though given less than perfect pavement and lots of highway cruising.

• 2 weeks later...

I just test drove it again this past Sunday and this time took the wife. She liked it.

The salesman tried to lure me into buying one for $40 then $39 for a new one and this is used SS pricing. Get your 2014 now deeply discounted before the year is out.

I'm still wanting the 2015 for MRC and torque vectoring in performance mode. :)

I might also take a look at the Charger SRT-8. Evidently the 2015 sees some improvements to the suspension to address the overly stiff ride. Now that MRC on the SS has the price virtually the same for the two cars equipped as I would buy them, both merit a look. I can get a vendor discount on both of them so that will also be a consideration.

According to the review the interior of the 2015 sees some significant improvement as well on the nicer trim levels. In addition it will gain larger Brembo's all around, wider tires (275's on all 4 corners), the aforementioned adjustable suspension, larger gauge cluster info screen, more power, and in my opinion better looks.

The 6.4L will now be making 485hp, and 475lb-ft right out of the box, and now also finally gets the 8 speed behind it.

Well MSRP on the SS with Magnetic Ride is also now firmly crowding $50K as well. At that point the difference in price is only academic. The GM vendor discount on the SS is also not very aggressive, and the Chrysler discount is a bit better bringing my actual price a bit closer still.

There is also the R/T Scat Pack to consider which is the 6.4L, 8 speed, and last year's suspension with no adjustments and only 245 series rubber. Starting right at $40K, figure $45K loaded up. Hell of a deal for what it is.

Additionally for what it's worth it looks like the SRT 392 avoids the gas guzzler tax, and will do a bit better on fuel.

Not saying I'll buy one over the SS, but Chrysler made worthy improvements, and seems committed to making RWD performance sedans that are affordable. Chevy...not so much, by the time I'm ready to buy the SS may be killed off.

The 2015 is much better looking IMHO.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-dodge-charger-srt-392-first-drive-review

I don't find the SS or the Charger to have really outstanding styling, both are kind of meh to me. Although I'll give a slight nod to the SS based on not looking in any way like a fast car, which has advantages.

I have my eye on a 2015 SRT, it's essentially the Hellcat w/o the engine. The Scat Pack 392 will be the new gen's Super Bee (ie- 'stripped') but will have the last gen SRT brakes and suspension.

As far as 2014 SRT's, they can be had lightly used locally for low to mid 40's, with some as low as high 30's.

There's a perfect Jazz Blue Pearl with gloss black wheels at the dealer that services my wife's GC but the lure of the 8-speed and updated interior is too strong...

Interested in the SRT's adjustable dampers, and larger rubber over the Scat Pack.

I do notice according to reviews, the 8 speed and MDS on the 6.4L manage 25mpg on the highway. 485hp in a 4400lb 175mph car, and 25mpg highway! My old 2005 LGT with only 250hp didn't do any better than that.

Archived