LegacyGT.com

Adding Turn signal to my mirror???

Good on you for taking the time to redo this the right way.

Looks much better something you can be proud to drive around with and show others how you did it..

I bought a set of aftermarket mirrors which made it a whole lot easier to work with without having to remove the stock mirrors from my car. And it was a good thing that I did that; when I was taking apart the first mirror to run the wiring, I dropped it and cracked the mirror. I had to order a Burco mirror to replace it. But now that it's done, I can just swap them out and wire them up. Only thing left to decide is whether to wire up the puddle lights directly to the door step lights or to run the wiring to where the Subaru puddle lights go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's actually power on both sides of the footwells on separate harnesses that go to the rear signals. Just have to pull the plastic that covers the outer side of the footwell. It's really close to the grommet entrance from the door

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I found those harnesses today while doing some pre-install poking around with Perscitus. However, we couldn't figure out a way to run the wires through to the door; the door end of the grommet and wiring harness is sealed off. Did you have to poke a hole in it somewhere to run the new wires?

I found those harnesses today while doing some pre-install poking around with Perscitus. However, we couldn't figure out a way to run the wires through to the door; the door end of the grommet and wiring harness is sealed off. Did you have to poke a hole in it somewhere to run the new wires?

It's not sealed off, just full of wires. I used a hanger made straight with a hook at the end and electrical tape. You can take the electrical tape that's halfway on the rubber conduit to separate them to make the pull easier

It's not sealed off, just full of wires. I used a hanger made straight with a hook at the end and electrical tape. You can take the electrical tape that's halfway on the rubber conduit to separate them to make the pull easier

The door side of grommet has a rubber sleeve that extends about 6 inches from the grommet to where the wires exit out of it. After that, there's about 2-3 inches of electrical tape that seals it off. I would either have to remove the tape or slice open the sleeve. Also, at the junction of the two halves of the conduit between the door and interior grommets, my car has a plastic collar that attaches the two sides, not tape. I assume I can remove that, though, I just haven't tried yet. There's not a whole lot of room in there for my hands to work. I have electrician's fish tape, but I think it may be too thick for this job, so the hanger method may have to be used.

OK, just noticed something about the blinker tie in location, it loses power when the headlights are on. Strange because the rear signals still work. I know the signal power is for the rear because when you disconnect the harness you lose signal. Would Subaru go through the trouble to switch signal source when the headlights are on?!

OK, just noticed something about the blinker tie in location, it loses power when the headlights are on. Strange because the rear signals still work. I know the signal power is for the rear because when you disconnect the harness you lose signal. Would Subaru go through the trouble to switch signal source when the headlights are on?!

So, when you have your headlights on, your mirror turn signals stop working? That would be strange indeed. From the wiring diagrams, all the power for all the turn signals (including the instrument panel) are tied in directly to the flasher module, which itself is connected directly to the fuse box. The only part that is connected to the BIU is the wire that goes from the flasher to the hazard switch. Nothing about this design would suggest the headlight switch would have any affect on the turn signals.

Where did you run your ground wires for the turn signal?

So, when you have your headlights on, your mirror turn signals stop working? That would be strange indeed. From the wiring diagrams, all the power for all the turn signals (including the instrument panel) are tied in directly to the flasher module, which itself is connected directly to the fuse box. The only part that is connected to the BIU is the wire that goes from the flasher to the hazard switch. Nothing about this design would suggest the headlight switch would have any affect on the turn signals.

Where did you run your ground wires for the turn signal?

Ran it to one of the grounds on the harness

Ran it to one of the grounds on the harness

You're gonna have to be more specific. Not all "ground" wires are actually grounds, some of them go directly to the BIU or elsewhere depending on what circuit they're part of. To ground the turn signals correctly, you should have either grounded them directly to the door panel or to the grounding strap that is located near the wiring harnesses inside the car where you tapped for the turn signal power.

You're gonna have to be more specific. Not all "ground" wires are actually grounds, some of them go directly to the BIU or elsewhere depending on what circuit they're part of. To ground the turn signals correctly, you should have either grounded them directly to the door panel or to the grounding strap that is located near the wiring harnesses inside the car where you tapped for the turn signal power.

Got it, I'll change it this weekend and let you know the result

Got it, I'll change it this weekend and let you know the result

My plan is to ground the LEDs at where the mirrors bolt up. The sheet metal under the bolts is exposed, so that should make a good grounding point, unless of course the doors aren't grounded properly to the chassis themselves.

• 5 months later...

[ATTACH]195086[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]195087[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]195088[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]195089[/ATTACH]

Okay so, since I never got a chance to put these on my car, who wants to take over the project? Everything is ready to go, you just have to bolt them on and wire them up.

My plan is to ground the LEDs at where the mirrors bolt up. The sheet metal under the bolts is exposed, so that should make a good grounding point, unless of course the doors aren't grounded properly to the chassis themselves.

Taping into the ground that goes to the ground bolt worked, LEDs also look brighter.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I had to unmount my damaged drivers' side mirror due to a "gentleman's" drive-by accident-hit-and-run thing :spin::spin::spin:

I took several fotos + measurements of what a JDM/ EDM mirror looks like.

Someone whacked your mirror off?

Someone whacked your mirror off?

Correct. I was waiting at a stop sign to make my turn, this Audi Q5 with a backside bike rack made his turn and the bike rack hit my mirror, breaking the mounting bracket (the big plastic triangle that mounts to the door).

Q5 stopped shortly, then took off in a flash round the corner and escaped. As it was evening/dark I couldn't make in time to catch the plate number.

I asked the guy behind me if he saw it...response "NO! Will You move now ? Thanks..." => met 2 a....holes in less than 30 seconds.

Subaru lists the mirror in 4 pieces: mirror, blinker, cap and rest (which is what I needed, Subaru price is ≥ 400 Euros)...in the end I found a full LH mirror unit (used but 100% working) at 250,- Euros in Poland incl. shipment.

That's the full story.

• 1 year later...
Taping into the ground that goes to the ground bolt worked, LEDs also look brighter.

Hello all.

I'm in a process of installing an aftermarket side blinkers on the mirrors of my Legacy 2010.

I understood that I need to ground the wire to the mirror ground bolt.

But I got a question -

Where I should look for the +12v? Should I go directly to the front blinker wire or I should look for one of the wire harnesses under the steering wheel column?

If so, which one I should look for?

Thanks.

My brain is struggling to figure out how come a blinker light (used only while making a turn) wire will be connected to the parking light, which gives a constant flow of light when turned on. Or I'm just too tired from work today. Guys, help me out here, please?

Do you use some wiring harness under the dash or you run the wires to the front of the car?

Actually, I will use the same lights as the one nstg8r used on page 3 of this thread.

Archived