LegacyGT.com

Adding Turn signal to my mirror???

What is the size of the 2010 - 2013 Forester mirrors? Any of those signal mirror parts interchangeable with the legacy?

Anything on AliBaba? Other countries that drive on the same side of the road as us in NA got turn signal mirrors.

The VIP modified Legacy has turn signal mirrors. The wheel is on the left side.

This has been discussed in other threads; the parts aren't available in America and I don't feel like paying $1000 for them shipped from overseas, otherwise I'd already have them installed.

Those LEDs are a little large. You have a lot of options for LED parts from other cars. Don't settle on the first ones you find.

So, I should just keep buying parts from other cars hoping that I find one that happens to fit my car?

Think about placing them at the bottom of the cap like on the factory outback mirror.

Buy new parts start over.

The mirror caps are $75 a set, and I'm already on my 2nd set. But, down the road I may start over with new parts.

Trim it out to almost the right shape with a $40 dremel/rotary tool.

I used a Dremel to do the cutting.

Use a small sanding file to get the exact shape. You want it tight around the LED housing like the factory mirror. It's just plastic it will take a few minutes.

Sand it smooth, spray it yourself with satin black rattle cans and it will look like factory plastic. Wet sanding a perfect finish is incredibly easy also. Literally just soak sandpaper in water and rub for a few minutes then spray another coat.

You got me here; I wasn't patient enough and wound up cutting the holes too large.

Why would you glue from the outside when you can glue from the inside? Bend a small amount of metal make a bracket.

There's no room between the cap and the mirror housing and I had originally used Gorilla tape to hold the LEDs to the back of the caps. The glue was just to form a seal. This time, I'm just going to mount the LEDs directly to the mirror housing.

Take pride and enjoyment in coming up with the smart way to do it and have everyone congratulate you and asking how you did it.

Will everyone throw me a party too?

Another thread the person said they couldn't see a way to run power. My mirrors are heated and power movement which means WIRES. What's the problem?

I know exactly where to run the wires. The problem is, the factory wiring harness takes up all the space in the grommet that they run through in the mirror housing. It won't be impossible to run a new wire through it, just difficult. Normally I would use an electrician's fish tape to do this (like I would do to run the wires through the doors), but with the space being so tight, I'd have to be careful not to damage the factory harness.

You can't drive around like that.

:spin:

The driving part's easy; it's when the car is parked that people would see the imperfections.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, so I discovered that with the folding mirrors, to run the wiring properly would require removing the entire housing from the car and then disassembly of the pivot joint; wouldn't have to do that with the older non-folding mirrors. Add to that having to snake the wire through the doors into the dash, it winds up, in my opinion, being too much work for something that may not look good. Plus, if the lamp fails, it'll be a PITA to replace.

Consider this an abandoned project.

Yes obviously you can't do this project with the mirrors still attached to the door and without removing bits of the interior.

Why would you bother taking on a project like this being lazy and refusing to think? people actually thanking you for these posts. Thanks for uhmm Nothing?

You could have a connector inside the cap that would allow you to easily swap the light.

Easy to disassemble the mirror to run a small power wire.

*facepalm*

Right, the guy who has never, ever contributed anything to this forum has the most to say whenever anyone else fails, which I'm sure you've never done. And if I had been successful at this, like I have been with several other mods, you would have had nothing to say at all. But whatever, haters are gonna hate, so give yourself a nice big pat on the back because it's probably the only attaboy you ever get.

Hey guys new to this site.. nstg8r im glad u attempted this mod..its actually something I wana do to my legacy soon but it seems like a PITA like hid conversion lol. Have you considered installing leds like the onesyou see on some big suvs like tahoe and escalade that show thru the mirror as a greater than sign > I think that looks nice too. .... oh and I think steve wants you to GET CREATIVE!! Lol

Right, the guy who has never, ever contributed anything to this forum has the most to say whenever anyone else fails, which I'm sure you've never done. And if I had been successful at this, like I have been with several other mods, you would have had nothing to say at all. But whatever, haters are gonna hate, so give yourself a nice big pat on the back because it's probably the only attaboy you ever get.

Half way there...

[ATTACH]191604[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]191605[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]191606[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]191607[/ATTACH]

Looks like the cop cars here in Hawaii, they put blue LED flashers on the mirrors like that.

JDM/RoW mirrors will fit the body, you just have to run wiring. I ran 4 wires up for wiring signals and auto folding later down the line when I'm not too lazy. I got my 5th gen pre refresh JDM power folding mirrors from ebay. Had the skullcaps painted the same time as my bumper when I got hit in an accident. I think the hardest part was pulling the wire through the door gromet. I took the electrical tape off the midpoint and I was able to fish the new harness through with a little silicon spray. Once I got it through, I was able to find power for the turn signal in the harness in the footwell. The mirror glass was from Japan and I just so happened to be going to the Philippines. Picked up LHD mirror glass from the dealer in Manila.

On my 2008 Impreza, I was able to purchase just the skullcaps and signals as there was a place in the mirror housing for the signal already. I took apart the entire mirror to fish two wires through the midpoint where it folded. I had some audi wiring harness wires with clip ends that held nicely on the prongs for the signal. On my Impreza, there was wiring for the signals already in door (probably because it was built in Japan).

Like this

Yeah, I've seen those, but you have to peel the backing off the factory mirrors to apply them. I prefer the front/side facing LEDs so that people to the sides can see them; with the ones built into the mirror, only myself and people behind me will see them.

JDM/RoW mirrors will fit the body, you just have to run wiring. I ran 4 wires up for wiring signals and auto folding later down the line when I'm not too lazy. I got my 5th gen pre refresh JDM power folding mirrors from ebay. Had the skullcaps painted the same time as my bumper when I got hit in an accident. I think the hardest part was pulling the wire through the door gromet.

I wish I could find a set, but I know they ain't cheap especially with shipping costs. I can get the LEDs themselves, but there are major differences in the housings that make them impossible to use on the USDM ones, so the JDM housings are a necessity as well as new caps. You only really need to run just one wire into the cabin for just the turn signals since you can simply connect the ground wire to either the door frame or tap into another ground wire.

I took the electrical tape off the midpoint and I was able to fish the new harness through with a little silicon spray.

I saw the tape there and thought it was put there buy the guy who installed my sound system. I figured he just got lazy, lol.

Once I got it through, I was able to find power for the turn signal in the harness in the footwell. The mirror glass was from Japan and I just so happened to be going to the Philippines. Picked up LHD mirror glass from the dealer in Manila.

Yeah, once the wire's through, it's easy enough to tap into the turn signals at the flasher module.

I wish I could find a set, but I know they ain't cheap especially with shipping costs. I can get the LEDs themselves, but there are major differences in the housings that make them impossible to use on the USDM ones, so the JDM housings are a necessity as well as new caps. You only really need to run just one wire into the cabin for just the turn signals since you can simply connect the ground wire to either the door frame or tap into another ground wire.

I saw the tape there and thought it was put there buy the guy who installed my sound system. I figured he just got lazy, lol.

Yeah, once the wire's through, it's easy enough to tap into the turn signals at the flasher module.

There's actually power on both sides of the footwells on separate harnesses that go to the rear signals. Just have to pull the plastic that covers the outer side of the footwell. It's really close to the grommet entrance from the door

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

There's actually power on both sides of the footwells on separate harnesses that go to the rear signals. Just have to pull the plastic that covers the outer side of the footwell. It's really close to the grommet entrance from the door

Yeah, I've seen those in the wiring diagrams but haven't looked for them in the car. The flasher module is easy enough to get to, though.

. . . I prefer the front/side facing LEDs so that people to the sides can see them; with the ones built into the mirror, only myself and people behind me will see them.

Serious question - why does anybody driving beside you in traffic need to see your directionals? It's your responsibility to accept that a vehicle that's beside you has the right of way to his lane, and to wait until it is clear to move over.

Sending a directional signal to a driver beside you is a lot like saying "I know you're there, but I'm coming over anyway and I think you need to get out of my way". Pretty rude . . .

Norm

Serious question - why does anybody driving beside you in traffic need to see your directionals? It's your responsibility to accept that a vehicle that's beside you has the right of way to his lane, and to wait until it is clear to move over.

Sending a directional signal to a driver beside you is a lot like saying "I know you're there, but I'm coming over anyway and I think you need to get out of my way". Pretty rude . . .

Norm

Let me rephrase that; it's not for people driving along side of me, it's for drivers that are at a 90° angle to me, like at an intersection or entering/exiting a parking lot.

Nope. You absolutely do NOT need the JDM mirror housing. You are making excuses again.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3840923&postcount=26

Those are the JDM mirrors with LEDs. Those LEDs absolutely will not fit within the USDM housing without completely hacking away at and rebuilding the entire mirror housing. The mirror caps are also near impossible to find. If this was such an easy mod to do as you think it is, then half this forum would have done it already. One solution to this would be just to buy the Outback SAP mirrors which will fit our cars, but as GTEASER mentioned, they "might look ungainly on a Legacy sedan." They would also cost somewhere around $700 without having the caps painted.

I do have something else in mind, however, so stay tuned; I may not have thrown in the towel yet.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3840923&postcount=26

Those are the JDM mirrors with LEDs. Those LEDs absolutely will not fit within the USDM housing without completely hacking away at and rebuilding the entire mirror housing. The mirror caps are also near impossible to find. If this was such an easy mod to do as you think it is, then half this forum would have done it already. One solution to this would be just to buy the Outback SAP mirrors which will fit our cars, but as GTEASER mentioned, they "might look ungainly on a Legacy sedan." They would also cost somewhere around $700 without having the caps painted.

I do have something else in mind, however, so stay tuned; I may not have thrown in the towel yet.

Actually the sap mirrors are pretty much the same as the 2013 refresh JDM mirror, just no power folding. And yes, I do like being one of the few with it lol

Actually the sap mirrors are pretty much the same as the 2013 refresh JDM mirror, just no power folding. And yes, I do like being one of the few with it lol

Yeah, so you've seen the insides of these mirrors and can confirm there would be no way to mount the LED from one to the USDM ones.

• 2 weeks later...

"why does anybody driving beside you in traffic need to see your directionals? It's your responsibility to accept that a vehicle that's beside you has the right of way to his lane, and to wait until it is clear to move over."

That's all true, but people on their phone, etc. not paying attention need a flashing light to know you're coming into their lane. Seen it happen. Many of them will get used to seeing the flashing LED and then just ignore it and run into you anyway.

Archived