LegacyGT.com

Skid plate options?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just as a FYI as its something you don't see in the product info. Seems like a good idea for a DIY job.

The top side of the primitive plate has a soft padding material with what's basically heavy duty aluminum foil stuck to it for protection of the the oil pan for when something would make contact.

Don't have the template. I gave you the measurements... lol.

I basically just cut it to fit properly. I made the top of the plate fit to the bumper properly and cut the front to 'fit' in the bumper skin. (read: not pretty)

I cut the back side to fit into my exhaust and my cv's. I used the tranny mount and the rad mount bolt holes that were already there. Used spacers to keep the peace at the front of the plate.

Really it's a custom fit job. I was going to try to make a full template and get the company to cut it but I figured it was a one shot deal. It would have sucked to get it back and realize it was too small. Start from the front and work back. Lots of test fits were required to get it to fit just right.

Cut a piece of cardboard to the size I stated already and mess around with it until you get a shape that you think will work. Cut the plate oversized and fit and cut it from there.

Definitely doing this.

I haven't had anything under my car in two+ years. With being lowered an inch and the sandwich adapter my oil filter hangs scary low to the ground.

Do you have a pic with the plate off the car?

Here's how mine looks off the car.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/hobbit13/685CFDDE-50F4-41FA-A34F-9B1E8DB424A6_zpsdivixshr.jpg

Basically I just cut everything off that's not supposed to be there....

Hardest part was figuring out what size of lip at the front and what angle.

Two words. Structural strength.

I don't know where you live, but where I live (the great white north) there are many hazards on the roads. Sure the oil pan and the rest of your undercarriage is designed to take a hit from time to time, but I would rather it hit this piece of alum to act as a sacrificial barrier.

We get lots of snow up here, that means lots of ice chunks falling off of trucks. If one happens to drop in front of you and you can't get around it quick enough it's nice to hear a thud under your car knowing that it's a $50 piece of alum instead of your oil pan.

Similarly, have you ever hit a coon? Possum?

Starting to get the idea?

LMAO!!!!!!

Cool off. Nice. If anything it should help to keep the air flow going by the engine because it prevents air dropping out of the bottom of the engine bay. That is assuming you don't have a plastic cover under your engine right now.

No I don't have louvers. And no I don't want them. The plate is structurally sound the way it is. I don't want more holes in it messing around with it.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/20/qezenu5e.jpg

A local shop in Ontario makes these for all Subaru's. My winter Legacy is NOT a GT, so the skid plate had to be cut on one side to clear the exhaust. It's all aluminium and solid.

EssTeeAai

Well I don't have snow/ice, but my factory unit is warped all to crap. It needs replacing. Too bad that GT Spec version isn't still available. That looks like a first rate piece of work. FWIW I can't imagine having anything like this and not allowing for oil changes without removal. Great job with the spout and protected drain line

That's why you make it easy to remove. A few pop clips and a few bolts and you're good to go.

Putting holes in a skid plate just reduces it's ability to withstand a good hit. Gives it somewhere to bend or crack.

I can't imagine having anything like this and not allowing for oil changes without removal.

I thought this at first, but ended up just using 3 of the original 5 bolts my Rallitek skidplate had and it's far easier just to undo 3 bolts, drop the skid plate all together, and then change the oil. It literally takes me about 2 minutes to remove the plate and access is then much easier. As fido said, it's better to just have a solid plate anyways if possible.

Plus look at it this way. You get to spend more time tinkering with your car.

"Sorry honey, this oil change is going to take slightly longer than normal. Start watching that vampire romance movie without me..."

Archived