LegacyGT.com

JL Audio Amp question - CleanSweep install

PGT

Manville at JL - what's your opinion on a 500/5 vs a 4 channel and separate sub amp (300/4 + 500/1)? I decided to sell my PPI gear and get a new amp (mainly because I can't fit a PC4100 under the floor in the wagon). Any advice would be appreciated.

-Dan

A 500/5 is a great system amp... compared to the 300/4 + 500/1 combo it will give you 3 dB less subwoofer output... 1.1 dB more front channel output, 4 dB less rear channel output.

Quality is the same between the two setups... current draw is less for the 500/5 (will run nicely off a single 4 AWG power wire, whereas the 500/1+300/4 will want a 2 AWG wire).

Wow - quick!! Thanks for the feedback Manville. It reinforces what I was thinking, but I got out the business about the time you started offering amps, so I didnt get much exposure to them. I will be running a single first-gen 10W3-D4 (2 ohms) or PPI PRO-10 (4 ohm).

Time to read back over your install threads for ideas. :D Any chance of a stealthbox? What's the minimum run needed to cover R&D costs? Many have expressed interest here....we can be a bit more scientific about it if it helps the cause. ;)

I can't say 100% for sure, but I have been lobbying hard for a Stealthbox for the wagon, being that we did the R&D already on my wagon. I'm using a 10W6v2 and that's what we plan for the Stealthbox, so it won't be cheap (MSRP around $650 probably)... but it is simply awesome sounding.

With a 10W3v2, the 250 watt sub section of the 500/5 is ample. With the 10W6v2, a 500/1 is the best matchup.

It would be great to have two price options like on other models, but obviously one SB is better than nothing. Some of us are looking at getting enclosures made....around $150-300 for the wagon, so around $650 MSRP isn't too bad with a W6.

Manville:

It would be beyond awesome if JL developed a stealthbox for the Wagon. I would certainly be first in line to pick one up. Are you guys looked at fitting the stealthbox into the cubby compartment locations on the side? Please bring us the good news on this box when you are able to. :D Thanks!

Build a stealthbox for the sedan and they will come......

I'd venture a guess that their are more OB's sold, meaning the market is larger than the LGT sedan. Plus, the sedan is more conducive to a prefab JL box, since you don't need a custom build to get the sub out of the way of cargo like in the wagon.

Obviously, it would be nice to have both options, but if I personally had a sedan I wouldn't be worried about a Stealthbox.

Passenger side rear-corner of the hatch. Flush with the wheel well. Will post pics when ready. Covered in OEM fabric.

Manville,

You've just made my day. Thats exactly where I wanted it to go. Any chance of a w7 in there as an upcharge option? :p Thanks for the great news! :D

Manville,

You've just made my day. Thats exactly where I wanted it to go. Any chance of a w7 in there as an upcharge option? :p Thanks for the great news! :D

I believe he was speaking of the custom one they did for his car. He is pushing for a production version....that's not certain yet. Perhaps we should start a new thread with a poll, to gauge interest. Might help to show how many serious buyer's there would be.

I was talking production box, by the way. It will be a little different from mine, because mine has to be special :)

A W7 is waaaay too deep... unless you used an 8W7... the 10W6v2 sounds freakin' amazing in the wagon.

I'd venture a guess that their are more OB's sold, meaning the market is larger than the LGT sedan. Plus, the sedan is more conducive to a prefab JL box, since you don't need a custom build to get the sub out of the way of cargo like in the wagon.

Obviously, it would be nice to have both options, but if I personally had a sedan I wouldn't be worried about a Stealthbox.

Damn, patagonian... you must have worked in the business.

You're spot on with your comments... we have found that sedan owners will generally opt for less expensive prefab (wood) enclosures. The few that we've done for sedans have not sold well at all. (Jetta, Accord, Maxima, etc.) Wagon, Truck and SUV models are more popular for Stealthboxes because those owners are more concerned about the space utilization and the box is often visible.

If you drive an LGT sedan, we have over a dozen very nice ProWedge, H.O. Wedge and PowerWedge systems... one for every need and budget.

Damn, patagonian... you must have worked in the business.

Yup....we actually met at least once back when Emco picked up your product. I was a manager at one of the locations here in NoVA but was involved in 12V way back with William Bibb, Richard Clark and David Navone. I moved on to a 'real' job after burning out - retail electronics is a difficult business. :redface: Now at least I can afford the stuff I used to sell ;)

Remember the Quart VW show car from around '95 - the one with liquid-cooled PPI amps?? I learned alot from that :D

I was talking production box, by the way. It will be a little different from mine, because mine has to be special :)

A W7 is waaaay too deep... unless you used an 8W7... the 10W6v2 sounds freakin' amazing in the wagon.

Ah that's unfortunate. There is about a 1" difference in mounting depth right? Is the box that tight? The w6v2 will have to do then. I haven't heard the two back to back in the same vehicle so I don't have a clear comparison, but I've heard the 12W7, and it was incredibly CLEAN and POWERFUL.

I'm moving from 3 10W6 (v1's) to your Stealthbox (if and when it does become available <crosses fingers> ).

Yup....we actually met at least once back when Emco picked up your product. I was a manager at one of the locations here in NoVA but was involved in 12V way back with William Bibb, Richard Clark and David Navone. I moved on to a 'real' job after burning out - retail electronics is a difficult business. :redface: Now at least I can afford the stuff I used to sell ;)

I know, I was trying to be funny. Glad to hear you're now gainfully employed. :D

Remember the Quart VW show car from around '95 - the one with liquid-cooled PPI amps?? I learned alot from that :D

Ooofff. you had to remind me of that black Passat. Now I won't sleep for a week thinking about tuning that godforsaken thing.

:lol:

I hope I don't take this topic too far off, but I can verify that the older 3 x 12W0 Powerwedge will in fact fit just about perfectly in the trunk of the sedan. I should have taken pictures, but I guess it just slipped my mind.

P.S. PM me if you're interested in buying it...

Quick question on the slash amps...I have a 450/4 that I'm using channels 3&4 to power my front XR's and will bridge 1&2 to power a single 10w3V2 in a custome fiberglass box I'm building (sedan trunk corner). I ordered the dual 4 ohm voicecoil version but I'm now wondering if that was the best choice. I will be limited to the 8 ohm wiring orientation only because the 450/4 is not stable below 3 ohm bridged...is there any penalty for running higher impedance (despite what he marketing says)? Sorry for the OT but this thread was wandering anyway. Just waiting for my cleansweep to arrive which is killing me!

Quick question on the slash amps...I have a 450/4 that I'm using channels 3&4 to power my front XR's and will bridge 1&2 to power a single 10w3V2 in a custome fiberglass box I'm building (sedan trunk corner). I ordered the dual 4 ohm voicecoil version but I'm now wondering if that was the best choice. I will be limited to the 8 ohm wiring orientation only because the 450/4 is not stable below 3 ohm bridged...is there any penalty for running higher impedance (despite what he marketing says)? Sorry for the OT but this thread was wandering anyway. Just waiting for my cleansweep to arrive which is killing me!

450/4 makes full power into 8 ohms bridged, so no problem. Have at it.

I guess I was just wondering if there's a little more output to be had into a lower impedance. I'm little anal about lost potential I guess. I can't wait to get it done. The XR's sound okay but the stock equalization is killing them...I think I will have one of the first cleansweeps in western canada though (at least alberta).

I guess I was just wondering if there's a little more output to be had into a lower impedance. I'm little anal about lost potential I guess. I can't wait to get it done. The XR's sound okay but the stock equalization is killing them...I think I will have one of the first cleansweeps in western canada though (at least alberta).

You're not giving any power up. The really nice thing about the R.I.P.S. system in the slash amps is that they can deliver their full design power into higher impedance loads.

Archived