LegacyGT.com

Official 3.6R Mod List

Lgt is 50/50 F/R

2.5i is 50/50 F/R

3.6R is 45/55 F/R

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, I need some confirmation on catch can setup.

I stopped by a shop and picked their brains a bit.

The plan is to install a catch can for only one tube. The tube that is connected to the intake manifold. He believes this is where the motor picks up the air that is to be burned off. The port on the intake manifold will get plugged. (we will see if the car is okay with this or not).

The tube that is connected just before the TB (to the afe intake), that is just for fresh air to the crank case. The plan is to put a one-way check valve so air only goes in...not out.

The coolant lines will just get connected together.

Does all this seem correct to you?

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

(playing Devils Advocate)

be careful playing with the ventilation hoses, they serve a very important purpose. Regulating crankcase fumes and pressure for combustion to be at its most efficient and to draw contaminants out of the oil to be burned AKA longer OCI.

if it were me i would put a catch can on the hose from the PCV to the intake manifold, and, bypass(connect) the coolant hoses.

"The port on the intake manifold will get plugged" - that scares me

just my two cents, obviously some other folks have played with our particular motors more than myself.

The plan is to install a catch can for only one tube. The tube that is connected to the intake manifold... The port on the intake manifold will get plugged.

That's the PCV line. If you place the OCC in line with that, how can you plug the port on the intake manifold? Where would the OCC vent to?

The tube that is connected just before the TB (to the afe intake), that is just for fresh air to the crank case. The plan is to put a one-way check valve so air only goes in...not out.

That's exactly what the PCV valve does already. With your setup the way it's described, your crankcase will have no way to release the pressure built up and you'll probably blow a bunch of engine seals and/or gaskets.

I dont want to place a catch can in line withe the pcv line going to intake manifold.

I want to disconnect that one and have it go directly to a catch can. So no vapors go to intake manifold at all.

Maybe I should try to get something straight.

1. The tube going to the intake manifold, does it have pressure or vacuum? I understood that it had pressure, so it can just go to a catch can and I can plug the hole in the intake manifold.

2. The line fron the afe intake, is that for fresh air into the crank case? If so, is there harm in putting a check valve that makes sure vapors dont get into the intake.

Maybe I am oversimplifying it.

Everything you are talking about has risk but from my understanding and past experiences with other cars you can vent the pcv line to the atmosphere instead of doing the epa forced recirculation. The only reason it goes into the intake manifold is to burn off the fumes that are vented from the pcv valve. California won't like you much if they find out though.

As for the breather line. A friend of mine once got his pinched and not 2 spirited miles down the road he blew a couple seals and has leaked oil ever since.

I vented mine years ago and the car was fine...a 1997 car.

Good to know about the breather line. But a check valve allowing air to only go into the motor should be fine, correct?

I dont want to place a catch can in line withe the pcv line going to intake manifold.

I want to disconnect that one and have it go directly to a catch can. So no vapors go to intake manifold at all.

1. The tube going to the intake manifold, does it have pressure or vacuum? I understood that it had pressure, so it can just go to a catch can and I can plug the hole in the intake manifold.

2. The line fron the afe intake, is that for fresh air into the crank case? If so, is there harm in putting a check valve that makes sure vapors dont get into the intake.

None of this makes sense. If you have the PCV go to the catch can, where do it go from there, are you venting it into the atmosphere? That's illegal in California. If you're capping the outlet of the catch can instead, the how would vapors get in there? Think of it this way; get a straw and blow into one end with your finger plugging the other end.

As far as the check valve on the breather line; that's exactly what a PCV valve does but instead of going into the manifold post throttle body, the breather goes into the intake before the throttle body. The breather line is supposed to supply air to the crankcase, the PCV vents the vapors out. When the PCV valve is closed, like at idle, some vapors will enter the breather. The manifold creates the vacuum which pulls the air and vapors through the system. Cap it, and no air will circulate and pressure builds up in the crankcase.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/positive-crankcase-ventilation-system.htm

http://www.aa1car.com/library/pcv.htm

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/197

None of this makes sense. If you have the PCV go to the catch can, where do it go from there, are you venting it into the atmosphere? That's illegal in California. If you're capping the outlet of the catch can instead, the how would vapors get in there? Think of it this way; get a straw and blow into one end with your finger plugging the other end.

As far as the check valve on the breather line; that's exactly what a PCV valve does but instead of going into the manifold post throttle body, the breather goes into the intake before the throttle body. The breather line is supposed to supply air to the crankcase, the PCV vents the vapors out. When the PCV valve is closed, like at idle, some vapors will enter the breather. The manifold creates the vacuum which pulls the air and vapors through the system. Cap it, and no air will circulate and pressure builds up in the crankcase.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/positive-crankcase-ventilation-system.htm

http://www.aa1car.com/library/pcv.htm

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/197

Ole Fred wants to be a rebel, he wants to vent the fumes to the atmosphere.

Actually, I was planning to post this similar question too but, since I've seen you ask this question, then I might as well wait for some answers here.

What I'm worried about with mine too just after installing the e-SC. Since my SC sucked air, just worried that some oil or vapors from the hose might be sucked into the intake manifold. However upon seeing the same setup for Phantom SC, maybe this setup might be fine after all. But come to think more about this and also having a supercharger, it should benefit the SC more if it is a straight through tube (just like sipping thru a straw with and without hole) and just put a breather filter to the end of the hose. So I might just change my setup but just need confirmation whether the hose need pressure or not? Sorry Fred, I don't mean to hijack your post..

20150111_173214-3.thumb.jpg.24a09274f8564e64781bcceba71e1716.jpg

breather.png.fb66df4e22f987eaf05adc69fd93518d.png

Raptor just sold their last set of headers yesterday for the 3.6r. Oh well i waited to long.

Yeah...I know.

And thanks to all of you cor your input.

Nstg8r, I get it now...you left the tube to the intake manifold because you didnt want to vent it out.

Exactly, and it allows the catch can to do what it is designed to do.

I'm not gonna tell you how Shrek will be hooked up.

Side question:

Anyone considered ported heads or grinded/ground cams?

No luck just yet with BtSsm... its connecting just fine to its own dongle and detecting the ECU, but doesn't support our EZ36D yet.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5065705&postcount=420

So for now, I switched back to Torque Pro and let the car run for 20-30 minutes to warm up and charge the battery.

Screenshot_2015-02-13-19-58-22_resized_1.thumb.jpg.a20a9c2bbc10e8586a750e1f0dc5564b.jpg

Screenshot_2015-02-13-20-00-42_resized_1.thumb.jpg.126d194e4d9298871e96031b50d6cbfe.jpg

Edited by Perscitus

I checked with Crower cams and they can do a ~10% grind. I will have to send my cams.

$190 a pair to grind...so $380 plus whatever.

There is a one week turnaround, so I would be sending a new set. Gonna see how the TB porting pans out and get a price on camshaft R/R.

Also need to check with Rob at AMR about his thoughts.

BtSsm dev heiche is awesome... already (likely) fixed.

Another update has just been published to Google Play:

• added field "Throttle Pedal (%)" (Hardware BoB)
  • added more vehicle definitions
  • added #ynansb to a couple error codes (MrTris)

Will test tomorrow. 5F out now so I'll pass on going outside, lol

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5065712&postcount=421

Edited by Perscitus

I checked with Crower cams and they can do a ~10% grind. I will have to send my cams.

$190 a pair to grind...so $380 plus whatever.

There is a one week turnaround, so I would be sending a new set. Gonna see how the TB porting pans out and get a price on camshaft R/R.

Also need to check with Rob at AMR about his thoughts.

have you checked if the Valve Springs will handle whatever lift this ground cam is going to be giving them?

Have not...and not checked valves either.

There are a few companies with aftermarket valves and springs and other goodies but i have not checked.

I doubt a very mild grind is gonna do any harm...but there is one way to find out.

Higher compression pistons? Will it stay together?

I am trying to go one step at a time but I want power NOW.

There is a side of me that sees the purity of NA for whatever morbid reason.

Ide take an N/A motor over an equivalently powered forced induction motor anytime.

I suppose the cam install is fairly easy (aside from pulling the motor up). Our motors are DOHC right?

Edited by Aeterna

Ide take an N/A motor over an equivalently powered forced induction motor anytime.

Same here except for me to make the power of say a supercharger, I would need to have the motor bored, sleeved, heads worked, and several other items...not to mention either downtime or R/R of a built motor for my motor.

There is the site perscitus linked with the $10,000 built 3.6 motor. I also found a page for autohaus in the US that lists ez36 motors. I called twice but got VM. I wanted to enquire about heads.

It is looking more and more like I am financially married to this car, so if I do something big and crazy down the road, it will be okay.

I would just like to spread the craziness over the next three to five years and not in the next three months.

Regroup: TB R&D, then cams and headers...whichever comes first, then ????