LegacyGT.com

Official 3.6R Mod List

Durable + Aluminum = potential failure?

Duralumin (also called duraluminum, duralum, duraluminium, duralium or dural) is the trade name of one of the earliest types of age-hardenable aluminium alloys. Its use as a trade name is obsolete, and today the term is mainly used to describe aluminium-copper alloys, designated as the '2000' series by the International Alloy Designation System (IADS).

Copper as far as I know is not a very strong metal.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Durable + Aluminum = potential failure?

Duralumin (also called duraluminum, duralum, duraluminium, duralium or dural) is the trade name of one of the earliest types of age-hardenable aluminium alloys. Its use as a trade name is obsolete, and today the term is mainly used to describe aluminium-copper alloys, designated as the '2000' series by the International Alloy Designation System (IADS).

Copper as far as I know is not a very strong metal.

Copper & aluminum are relatively close in terms of hardness. When alloyed, they become even harder.

need some help please with catch-can connections.

I thought the tube going to the intake (takeda) near the TB was one of the tubes that goes to a catch-can, but looking at pictures from nstg8r, it looks like there are two tubes connecting to the catch-can and the one connecting to the intake is still attached.

Can you guys share which tubes you vented away from the motor?

If it is something you disconnected from the TB, would you please draw over a picture of a TB and indicate which tube was removed?

Nadracer has some TB pics you can save and edit.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/port-polish-your-throttle-body-226084.html

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

need some help please with catch-can connections.

I thought the tube going to the intake (takeda) near the TB was one of the tubes that goes to a catch-can, but looking at pictures from nstg8r, it looks like there are two tubes connecting to the catch-can and the one connecting to the intake is still attached.

Can you guys share which tubes you vented away from the motor?

If it is something you disconnected from the TB, would you please draw over a picture of a TB and indicate which tube was removed?

Nadracer has some TB pics you can save and edit.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/port-polish-your-throttle-body-226084.html

I have two catch cans.

The large one (Mishimoto) is connected in between the PCV valve and the intake manifold:

manifold.JPG.616d5328a25ca3f60cceb30487fe4b5a.JPG

The small one (homemade) is in between the breather line and the Takeda intake.

breather.JPG.8fccf7fd571e95c4f815bcdc5968bfe3.JPG

When you're looking at the driver's side of the engine, the breather is on the left, pcv valve on the right.

pcv.JPG.32548d6b73e21d19f6bfef210581a172.JPG

nstg8r, in the pic with the two tubes side by side attached to the TB, the one one the right, or the one toward the back of the car, is that just a coolant line, and is the one on the passenger side of the TB also for coolant?

The boomba racing TB will have no tubes for coolant lines.

nstg8r, in the pic with the two tubes side by side attached to the TB, the one one the right, or the one toward the back of the car, is that just a coolant line, and is the one on the passenger side of the TB also for coolant?

The boomba racing TB will have no tubes for coolant lines.

Both tubes going to the throttle body are coolant lines.

Both tubes going to the throttle body are coolant lines.

And, you don't see any issue with just capping them off do you? Or should I attach them together?

Ive seen Coolant Bypass of the TB as a common practice in other cars wich with a tune helped as usually the coolant actually warmed the Air instead of cooled it going through the TB.

Instead of capping the lines wouldnt you want to connect the two and bypass the TB? as one is probably the inbound coolant to the TB and the other is the Return line?

I could be wrong but this is what ive seen on other vehicles.

I am boping to just sonnect them if possible.

Nstg8r, what about the tube that is toward the front of the car on the drivers side?

May I run that and the one connected to the takeda into a dual catch can?

Remeber that the boomba TB does not have any ports...all this is assuming I can use the TB.

And, you don't see any issue with just capping them off do you? Or should I attach them together?

I bypassed mine, the only thing is that if it gets cold out the butterfly valve could freeze without the coolant going through so i installed ball valves so i can turn it off and on. I have seen no issues cutting off coolant flow through those lines. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/06/0260078246867fcd42722e086f5a9559.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/06/f7d9a6dc52f4bc996cf9bc56594a9211.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/06/0eaf9ab121737859c4ce3736793dd330.jpg I know the pictures suck but it's not easy to get good ones.

For my catch can i just put it in line with the line running to the cai right before the throttle body. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/06/862d51adc3cf13ac0d623b7b6464a202.jpg

I am boping to just sonnect them if possible.

Nstg8r, what about the tube that is toward the front of the car on the drivers side?

May I run that and the one connected to the takeda into a dual catch can?

Remeber that the boomba TB does not have any ports...all this is assuming I can use the TB.

The throttle body has nothing to do with the catch cans. The pcv/breather lines connect to the intake tube and the intake manifold. I wouldn't cross or combine those lines.

I wrote something and read over it but it didnt make sense so I deleted it.

I have to review nstg8rs pics and messages and do some reading on this.

That's fine for the coolant bypass but the catch can needs to be done differently. Ideally you buy 2 catch cans, one for the breather line connected to the intake and one for the pcv connected to the intake manifold. You shouldn't remove either the breather line or the pcv line, just place a catch can in line with each of the 2, one per line. Another popular option is to vent both lines, just disconnect the breather line from the intake and the pcv line from the intake manifold then run them so they drain out the bottom of the car. It's not exactly legal to do that but you would have zero recirculation of gases.

Edit this is for Fredericks original post

Edited by stevenc1703

Ideally you buy 2 catch cans, one for the breather line connected to the intake and one for the pcv connected to the intake manifold.

Which is why I have two. But to be honest, neither are catching much of anything.

Which is why I have two. But to be honest, neither are catching much of anything.

Same here, not a thing. I should have gotten a better can with chambers but i don't think it would have changed much. I bought a cusco thinking it would have been good quality but it was not chambered.

I assume yall have found Oil residue in the TB and Intake Manifold?

do your catch cans have the Mesh in it to separate Oil from the air? (kinda dumb questions, but I know that I've seen "catch cans" that are literally just metal jugs with "in and out" hoses lol.

Edited by Aeterna

I assume yall have found Oil residue in the TB and Intake Manifold?

do your catch cans have the Mesh in it to separate Oil from the air? (kinda dumb questions, but I know that I've seen "catch cans" that are literally just metal jugs with "in and out" hoses lol.

Mine was just a metal jug with in and out. I added mesh to it but it's not catching anything. I'm currently hooked up to the breather line and I'm gonna switch to the pcv line to see what that does.