LegacyGT.com

Official 3.6R Mod List

^^^...sort of like it must knows you are in park before it statrts.

I think all the elctronics are going to limit me unless I want my dash lit up like a christmas tree (that was one scenario described to me).

They could make it work but not in a clean manner.

Still waiting to hear back fro Rob. Will email him monday maybe.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once 5EAT is tuned... It feels nothing like what it does from the factory... I'm happy with is after tune, look to my 3.6 tune thread. And, mind you, this is the first AT car in my life... I was always manual transmission person for over 20years... Get it nicely tuned, and believe you will be much happier :) it is actually pretty good mechanical unit with shitty soft.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Once 5EAT is tuned... It feels nothing like what it does from the factory... I'm happy with is after tune, look to my 3.6 tune thread. And, mind you, this is the first AT car in my life... I was always manual transmission person for over 20years... Get it nicely tuned, and believe you will be much happier :) it is actually pretty good mechanical unit with shitty soft.

this is interesting to me but I'd like to actually go to a place to have it tuned. if these guys can get it running as well as you say for a reasonable price it might be worth it over the other guys. does a tune on the trans affect life of the trans? is everybody else getting the trans tuned as well as the engine?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Yes, tune usually extends life of the transmission. It is locked up more then stock, so less friction, less wear. Stock is tuned for comfort, performance tune shifts and locks up faster, therefore in theory less wear. For accurate answer ping some of the transmission rebuilder guys like

^^^...sort of like it must knows you are in park before it statrts.

I think all the elctronics are going to limit me unless I want my dash lit up like a christmas tree (that was one scenario described to me).

They could make it work but not in a clean manner.

Still waiting to hear back fro Rob. Will email him monday maybe.

Yup would need the neutral safety switch too. The little details. Lol

Maybe tie into the same switch used for Park or Neutral in automatics.

As far as dash lighting up like a Christmas tree you could just have those CELs turned off via a tune. Not completely sure of EcuTek but using Romraider you can turn off any and all CELs.

Would go like this. Get it running, read CEL codes. Turn off using a tune. Then drive it for other CELs, Turn those off via tune. Done.

I'm gonna take a look into the wiring of both transmissions today while I'm hanging around and see what I can find.

Yes, tune usually extends life of the transmission. It is locked up more then stock, so less friction, less wear. Stock is tuned for comfort, performance tune shifts and locks up faster, therefore in theory less wear. For accurate answer ping some of the transmission rebuilder guys like

have you had your car dynoed?

I already cheched with this vendor. It was a no-go.

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

could you upload a video of the dash during acceleration? I'm curious of how good it is on our car with the tune.

No i have not dyno the car yet, and i have not finished the engine tune either, because final logs has to be done at fairly high speed, i'm looking for opportunity at the private road.

At soon at tune is ready i'll post the graphs.

No i have not dyno the car yet, and i have not finished the engine tune either, because final logs has to be done at fairly high speed, i'm looking for opportunity at the private road.

At soon at tune is ready i'll post the graphs.

how high?

Ideally redline at 4th fear where the ratio is 1:0. But my guess is for both dyno and road tunes, 3rd gear redline would be the the top speed.

how fast is that? I've gone 120 once but I don't know how easy it would be to go much faster without legal issues.

Tunes for valve control require you to have 5-10 consecutive logs in the same weather, road, engine temp, gear, same start rpm and stop rpm, preferably 3rd gear... Now single log is easy do do :) think about 5-10 consecutive runs on the same exact peace of the road... You start at 25 mph and go to ~105 or so... On the track or some place in Montana it is easy :) not in "beautiful" OH :)

Tunes for valve control require you to have 5-10 consecutive logs in the same weather, road, engine temp, gear, same start rpm and stop rpm, preferably 3rd gear... Now single log is easy do do :) think about 5-10 consecutive runs on the same exact peace of the road... You start at 25 mph and go to ~105 or so... On the track or some place in Montana it is easy :) not in "beautiful" OH :)

I think I know a place about 15mins away. I'll have to go there.

There is something wrong with that dyno graph. The torque curve looks differrent than mine, perscitus', and italians.

Hp and tq dont cross at 5250 either. More like 5300 or slightly above.

There is something wrong with that dyno graph. The torque curve looks differrent than mine, perscitus', and italians.

Hp and tq dont cross at 5250 either. More like 5300 or slightly above.

it was an outback so who knows

actually it would be nice to know the settings people are using to pull their dyno curves since the legacy 3.6r isn't an option. I think I've figured out my weight and wheels easy enough, but the rest of the settings I'm clueless on.

I got an answer from AMR with regard to a 6mt in a 3.6R.

At least we know it fits. Interestingly, it is easier to stuff an H6 into an STI rather than take a 6mt and put it in a Legacy.

Aside from all the custom fabrication that would be needed. It seems if one starts with a manual transmission, the engine management is easier to handle rather than the transmission management.

This was the last piece of useful information I needed.

I suppose Shrek will be auto and my other funds can go elsewhere.

Rob's message follows....

Fred,

Good morning. Hope you had a great weekend.

We have put the 3.0R, 3.3R and 3.6R into Subaru STi's a variety of times.

The transmission does fit, however, on your specific vehicle, due to the body and the axles lining up with the tires, the transmission sits a tad to far back. With some custom motor mounts, some fabrication, a new driveshaft, you could do the swap.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any further questions!

We thank you for choosing AMR Performance!

Was he looking at putting an STi 6MT in the 3.6R? Because that is a different beast altogether and won't work in the Legacy GT or 2.5i. SomeZero had 6Star look at putting one in his car it would not work short of a lot of fabrication and parts swapping, I am assuming because of axle location on the tranny. I don't see why a standard Legacy 6MT (not STi 6MT) wouldn't work. There should be no need to move the engine because the axle should line up with the wheels.

Take a measurement from the surface of your firewall to the back surface of your engine block where the transmission bellhousing attaches. I will do the same on mine. They should be the same.

Gteaser, maybe we do a comparison when we meet up again. A side by side would be great.