LegacyGT.com

CovertRussian's 05 LGT Build Thread

Plus G20 is so old and worthless now, that I don't mind doing more permanent mods to it. I have a spare engine and transmission, they used to be super cheap to replace, but nowadays probably as costly as EJ's :lol:.

Insurance and registration/property tax is cheap fortunately, my main problem is once again batteries AND mice. Last year a mouse decided to chew up all of the wires that I had to add, since new wires are soy based. Unfortunately it also bid up the factory engine harness in some areas too. I've been very slowly working on re-crimping the wires, but I wont lie it's been a drag since I'm busy with building a house instead.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Plus G20 is so old and worthless now, that I don't mind doing more permanent mods to it. I have a spare engine and transmission, they used to be super cheap to replace, but nowadays probably as costly as EJ's [emoji38].

Insurance and registration/property tax is cheap fortunately, my main problem is once again batteries AND mice. Last year a mouse decided to chew up all of the wires that I had to add, since new wires are soy based. Unfortunately it also bid up the factory engine harness in some areas too. I've been very slowly working on re-crimping the wires, but I wont lie it's been a drag since I'm busy with building a house instead.

U did Pest control for over a decade, put bundles of dryer sheets zip ties places under the bay and under the seats....and can do an open tin or container of some kind with chips of Irish spring soap, rodents do not car for heavy smells like that, if it keeps out pack rats mice are no problem, can also go the extra pile and spray some mint oil dilutes with water around the car and on the undercarriage

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I've tried the Irish Spring Soap before, they chewed most of it up!

I ended up getting a box of mothballs and put a bag in the trunk and in the engine bay, so far it seems to be working. I'll have to air the car out for weeks before driving it after that fact though, stuff stinks!

22 Ascent STOCK

Have you tried Tomcat mice blocks and traps ? I find they work well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tomcat+mouse+killer&sa=X&rlz=1C1OKWM_enUS906US906&biw=1280&bih=881&tbm=shop&sxsrf=AOaemvJ6D2qrp0FH26aZumkCg5tDu96jYQ%3A1630621205594&ei=FU4xYce9I6bl5NoPrte4-Ag&oq=Tomcat+++mouse&gs_lcp=Cgtwcm9kdWN0cy1jYxABGAEyCwgAEIAEELEDEIMBMgsIABCABBCxAxCDATIFCAAQgAQyBQgAEIAEMgUIABCABDIFCAAQgAQyBQgAEIAEMgUIABCABDIFCAAQgAQyBQgAEIAEOgQIIxAnOgQIABAYOgYIABANEBg6DAgAEAgQDRAKEB4QGDoKCAAQCBAKEB4QGDoGCAAQCBAeOggIABAIEAcQHlDjI1jQa2ClfGgAcAB4AIABbYgBugWSAQM4LjGYAQCgAQHAAQE&sclient=products-cc

I have one outside the back corner of the house by the down spout, I put a new block in it twice a year. I have a block on the basement floor by the hatchway, I put a new there once a year. I haven't had mice in the house since I started doing that about 5 years ago.

The green blocks have something in them that make the mouse need water, they eat the piece of it and go find water and die somewhere else, not in the house or in the car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I like that! I'm not sure how much it would help since my garage is a very basic metal shed design with a bunch of holes everywhere.

My roof keeps on springing holes from when branches fall on it. I need a new roof, but it might be cheaper just to replace the whole structure

22 Ascent STOCK

• 1 year later...

It's been a long while since last update, but this car moved on to a new owner, we really wanted a bigger car then then even the Outback.  What makes it worse is I get to look at it daily and will probably be the primary mechanic for it still 🤣.

20220830_180235.thumb.jpg.17ab736d7a88346c1175a14c0ab84534.jpg

Keeping the Ascent as stock as possible, because finicky CVT, but I did do some cosmetic changes already (door guards and front bumper cover).

• Like 1

22 Ascent STOCK

The power is pretty decent for the car it's size, it's quick but no WRX or LGT (especially modded LGT).  But it's miles ahead of the Outback!  My biggest frustration is the CVT, it's laggy and constantly downshifting on slightest hills and then it feels gutless going up that hill still, which is so weird.  It just doesn't feel fine tuned or refined at all and feels like the transmission has no consistency, which makes it really hard for me to predict, especially as a stick driver only.

While I miss the Legacy it was just sitting and rotting like my G20 is too.  I use the Ascent/Outback all the time, between extra space and ground clearance it's just hard to justify regular cars.  In fact I could use a truck instead...

22 Ascent STOCK

Yeah I peaked at about 30-31mpg, though last couple years I was getting 28mpg on the LGT, dunno if it was tune or gas related, or just age of the car, still better then EPA's 24mpg.

I doubt I'll mess with the Ascent tune, especially when CVT is so prone to failure.  Cobb tune 93 tune sounds great, but car has enough power for it's purpose.

22 Ascent STOCK

7 hours ago, rebourne said:

Your posts were some of the most interesting and detailed on the internet!  Sad to see the LGT go, but I 100% understand that sometimes we have to move on.

Thanks for the kind words, it was fun digging in and then sharing the experience with the community.  In some ways I wish I did Youtube videos too, would have perhaps provided an income 😅.

7 hours ago, rebourne said:

What will you do with all that time saved from editing and uploading posts to this thread?

Well that's partly why I've been so absent, all my spare time has been going digging and building the house addition along with other house related projects.  I haven't even been auto-crossing in 3 years because my weekends are so busy.

With that said, I wont lie I've been really eyeballing a 2018-2021 WRX.  To the point that I might even ditch my G20 project/race car and just have the WRX for that duty too (they do really well auto-crossing stock!)

• Like 3

22 Ascent STOCK

So great to see you post again! Me too, been reading a lot through your old threads and I’ve pdf’d a lot of them so I have them for reference. I’ve been meaning to get on rom raider to download your stage 0 tune (if it’s still around on there lol). Still running stock tune but I’ve also wanted to get a new laptop to flash since mines over 10 yrs old…but also having the time to do all that properly has been hard to come by. Thanks for all the tinkering you’ve done and sharing of info! 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...