LegacyGT.com

Convert auto to 6mt

2005 Legacy GT Wagon LTD

Auto

I located a pristine wagon for a killer price (I can get it for a hair over $6000). Body, interior, and suspension are in great shape. Broke ring land on #4. TUrbo has been replace and complete valve job less than 10k mile ago. If i buy the car i plan on dropping a STI short block , retune to get rid of crap OEM tune, and driving the car while i accrue parts for the 6mt swap. I know the major components I need from the reference thread and have heard that I will need a 5mt ECU, Cluster, key and Ignition, and front body harness. I have searched and haven't been able to locate the info in a definitive format. I'd like for some hard facts about parts needed so I can start sourcing them.

I think I'll need:

04-05 STI 6mt

Rear Crossmember?

DCCD controller

04-05 STI rear diff (180)

07-09 Spec B Rear Axles

Hubs?

Clutch and flywheel

Pedals

Cluster, Harness, ECU, Key, Ignition

Spec B Shift linkage

Downpipe support bracket

other misc parts depending on whats included with donor trans.

I know there have been a few members that have done the swap and would love to hear experiences. If i proceed to do the swap i'll keep this updated.

General consensus is don't waste your time. Find a 5mt and swap a 6mt into that.

Thanks but i'm not wiling to pay 13k for a intact 5mt to just part it out. My free time doesn't cost anything to do the work, and for teh price of a 5mt, I can have this build how i like it.

• Moderators

I get that. Personally I wouldn't pay $6k for an '05 with a blown motor.

Seriously though, read the 6mt master swap thread and read up on some of the other threads about people converting 5EATs to 5mts. If you're super comfortable with wiring and can deal with some of the leftover quirks that you'll likely have then go for it.

EDIT: By the way, I'd bet that if you spend $6k on this car that you'll be into it for more than $13k by the time you're done with it. Ballpark would be at least $15k+ all-in by the time you're done with the motor / transmission work.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I agree, you'd be better off investing the time and money up front and starting with a 5mt car.

It took me over a year to find the right lgt, your patience will pay off in the long run.

You should be able to find a 5mt car with a blown motor for under 6k, you may just need to wait awhile.

• Moderators

I don't think $13-15k is realistic. I think you'll be in the $15-18k range unless you get that car for cheaper. Either way, there's something to be said for a fresh build rather than an old used car.

Have you read the 5eat-to-5mt conversion stuff that's out there yet? Do that first.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I have read the threads I can find. That is why I am asking for facts and not opinions. I'm going to provide all the labor so it's just a matter of finding parts. I'm seeing complete 5mt to 6mt conversions for 4k with brembos and I refuse to believe it will cost 3-5k on to of that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Having talked with the shop foreman at the dyno my Tuner uses who was one of the first to do this swap, he never figured out how to get cruse control to work.

With all his knowledge and all the shop resources, he said he would not do it again.

Dave at ESP in Sterling MA.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I feel like this will be a good car once the motor is fixed. I just need to see in person and inspect. And I think I'll be able to sell it for what I have in it once I locate a mt. I'll be all in for under 7k if I just fix it and drive it. It should sell for that easily.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Archived