LegacyGT.com

2800 mile plus road trip prep.

So i wanna make sure i got my bases covered. The most i have ever drove my car at once is 8 hours in one day so i dont know what to think when Im going to be doing a Drive from south carolina to Minnesota and back for Christmas.

Heres what i got done so far.

Newish Eagle gts

Fresh alignments

Trans oil was done with extra s about 1-2 thousand ago

Fixed my leaky washer tank

Wipers are good

Oil will be fresh this weekend.

Spark plugs will be fresh this weekend

Fresh coolant x2 (did water pump and timing at 101k and then replaced radiator the next week.

Toped off power steering

new thermostat too

New cabin filter

new airfilter

Hid low beams for the night

new alt belt

I have 2gal water and 1 gal coolant in the car

Extra powersteering

Anything im missing? Fuel filter? Weathertek mats?

Also driving with another shipmate and we will take turns driving

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Are you driving to Minnesota or to Alaska? You should be absolutely fine. It looks like your checklist is pretty complete and comprehensive. I used to drive from Kalamazoo Michigan to Philadelphia almost every weekend for about 7 months and I didn't do as thorough a job as you have here. Put a can of Berryman Chemtool B12 in it just as you fill up to leave and it will help a bit on the gas mileage and have a chance to do a really good job cleaning.

You, my friend, should be all set and good to go. :)

I don't see you carrying any engine oil. You should be carrying at least a quart and check the level at every fill up.

Ditto.

Do you have a GPS ?

The Eagle GT's would not be my first choice. But just slow down a bit when you hit snow.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

dittox2. I'd add engine oil to the list. and also some rags/papertowel.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I am a little bit on the overkill side, but this is what I constantly have in my trunk:

1 quart engine oil

1 quart coolant

toolbox (similar to this one)

various pliers

breaker bar

pbblaster

32mm axle socket

21 or 22 mm socket for crankpulley (I forget the size)

straps

tow strap

mechanix gloves

tire repair kit

tire pump

spare light bulbs

blankets

winter gloves

CB radio

headlamps

first aid kit

matches and ligther

a duraflame log (currently missing)

trash bags

rags

folding army shovel

some other miscellaneous stuff

I am missing drinking water and energy bars. I'll probably permanently add some jerky too.

I am a little bit on the overkill side, but this is what I constantly have in my trunk:

1 quart engine oil

1 quart coolant

toolbox (similar to this one)

various pliers

breaker bar

pbblaster

32mm axle socket

21 or 22 mm socket for crankpulley (I forget the size)

straps

tow strap

mechanix gloves

tire repair kit

spare light bulbs

blankets

winter gloves

CB radio

headlamps

first aid kit

matches and ligther

a duraflame log (currently missing)

trash bags

rags

some other miscellaneous stuff

I am missing drinking water and energy bars. I'll probably permanently add some jerky too.

Boy is someone a little OCD...:)

I used to carry a spare change of old winter cloths and a small shovel in the car in case I needed them on the weekly drives to/from VT skiing.

Acturally used some of them once in a blizzard to help someone who had gone off the road.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Boy is someone a little OCD...:)

I used to carry a spare change of old winter cloths and a small shovel in the car in case I needed them on the weekly drives to/from VT skiing.

Acturally used some of them once in a blizzard to help someone who had gone off the road.

Well, you know I lived above the arctic circle for two years. So better be prepared :).

This reminds me that I am actually carrying a folding army shovel as well. And during winter time, a small shovel too for the snow.

you still need a 750 ml barrel proof bourbon, about a 1/4 oz. of premium flowers, maybe a couple adderall, a few xanax, couple vicodin in case of headaches, three books on tape, lots of music, & plenty of lighters. oh and corn nuts. it's not a road trip without corn nuts.
i can put anything i want down here?!

I do some long drives and I carry a tire compressor and puncture repair kit. This has saved me not only money but some potentially mammoth inconveniences. I also carry a small bag of tools including metric wrenches, zip lock ties etc. I agree also on the quart of motor oil & rag to test.

You should always keep your car ready to take on a long trip on short notice if you think about it.

The first long trip I took in my Legacy was MI --> CO and back. I had a list similar to OP's since the car was still new to me. I brought a LOT of tools. I then got to thinking, most failures that would require all these tools are probably not ones I can fix on the side of the road anyways (either due to severity of failure or lack of replacement parts).

I've since taken a handful of longer trips in the Legacy, and have yet to touch the tools I bring.

I always have a road side hazzard kit and tow strap in my trunk. For long trips I add some extra oil and shop towels. If it's cold I throw in warm clothes and boots. Maybe a small selection of wrenches (adjustable crescent, vice grips, allen keys). I do any standard maintenance that may come up on the trip before I leave (oil change, coolant levels, etc), and I'm under the car enough to notice any wear items needing attention before they become a problem during a trip.

PUMP out all your summer windshield washer fluid through your system and put in windshield washer fluid that does not freeze when the temperature drops below 32F. Of course pump some of this new winter grade fluid through the system to make sure your lines have the new fluid in line and you are ready to go.

Keep a warm coat and gloves with you.

Ill have all my military issue winter gear with with me along witn clothes. Im from mn so i have the seat time on snow roads and yea almost forgot about extra oil.

And the spark plugs are the last thing ill do if i have time. I just figured why not. I have put 4 thousand miles on it and dont know the last time they were changed. Cant wait to go home! Thanks for secound checking my list!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Archived