LegacyGT.com

Odd squealing sound on cold start?

05 lgt with some modifications done by previous owners. On cold days or if I haven't turned the car on for a while, she kind of hesitates a split second longer and then there's a whistling, squealing noise which fades away quickly afterwards. Does anyone know what this is?

if that doesn't help, another possibility is the starter is sticking in the engaged position for a couple of seconds after starting.
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

if that doesn't help, another possibility is the starter is sticking in the engaged position for a couple of seconds after starting.

This ^ very common problem.

Just need to pull it and grease the shaft where the gear slides. It's right under the tmic.

It's not a big issue, mine went for like two or three winters like that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

That'd give you more of a grinding sound wouldn't it?

yes but somewhat high pitched, enough to be similar.

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Guess ( Hope) it's an epidemic. Mine's been doing the same. Thought it was the belts at first. But belt dressing didn't help. Then started to get worried it was turbo related. ( Talk about paranoia) So needless to say, this thread is somewhat comforting.

Archived