LegacyGT.com

POWER STOP BRAKE KITS... BAD????? Advise requested!! Thanks!

Those rotors will look blingy at first. Then the top hats will start to rust very soon after installation. I recommend going with the Centric premium (coated) rotors. My top hats still look great after 4 years. My car is never garaged.

As far as performance of the pads are concerned, no idea. I wouldn't expect those pads to be much of an improvement over stock, which is exactly what all of the Legacy daily driver pads are...pretty unremarkable.

Then you'd probably want to just go with the forum norm...Centric premium rotors and Hawk HPS or Stoptech Pads. Neither get all that great reviews.

I run the HPS myself. It's a mild upgrade over the stock pads. You may be tempted to go with the HP+. I loved them as an autox pad, but I loathed the noise they made during daily driving. Denver is probably too cold of a climate to run them much out of the summer season anyway.

The biggest upgrade you can make to your car's braking performance are the tires.

I'm using the powersport slotted rotors with centric ceramic pads on my car. I think they are great. Mine are zinc coated so they aren't rusting. I have used there rotors on 4 of my own cars and have never had any issues with them. I do a lot of aggresive braking in my legacy on the back roads to my girlfriends house too. I would recommend them to anyone. I don't think the blank rotors they sell are zinc coated, that's why I went with the slotted ones.

Well Here is my info on these rotors. I bought the all around kit with evolution pads from amazon about 2 years ago. Pads are still doing great. Rotors looks as if they were still new with a little wear on them. Much better stopping then the stock ones. Will I say they are the best rotors ever. Eh really they do a good job but I know there are better ones out there. If you are looking for a cheap good pair of rotors and pads then go ahead and buy them. I like them they do what they need to do and that is it. I don't track my car or race but I am a speed demon so they work Period!

I'm using the powersport slotted rotors with centric ceramic pads on my car. I think they are great. Mine are zinc coated so they aren't rusting. I have used there rotors on 4 of my own cars and have never had any issues with them. I do a lot of aggresive braking in my legacy on the back roads to my girlfriends house too. I would recommend them to anyone. I don't think the blank rotors they sell are zinc coated, that's why I went with the slotted ones.

Powersport? Where did u purchase those?

Then you'd probably want to just go with the forum norm...Centric premium rotors and Hawk HPS or Stoptech Pads. Neither get all that great reviews.

I run the HPS myself. It's a mild upgrade over the stock pads. You may be tempted to go with the HP+. I loved them as an autox pad, but I loathed the noise they made during daily driving. Denver is probably too cold of a climate to run them much out of the summer season anyway.

The biggest upgrade you can make to your car's braking performance are the tires.

Maybe I'll just go with a set of these "hart" rotors and some hawk pads.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-REAR-KIT-Black-Hart-DRILLED-SLOTTED-Disc-Brake-Rotors-C2677-/110998721014?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2006|Make%3ASubaru|Model%3ALegacy|Submodel%3AGT|Engine+-+Liter_Display%3A2.5L&hash=item19d80a11f6&vxp=mtr

Never heard of Hart. Centric Premiums go for about $50 per corner on rockauto.com. Hell, you can get Bendix rotors there for $20 per corner and just paint the top hats black with some caliper paint.

I run DBA 4000s with HAWK HPS pads and couldn't be happier....

Not the cheapest rotors, but the are extremely sturdy (New England weather takes it tool on rotors) - and the cars stops nicely with little fade in daily abuse....

The rotors still look new 2 years later.

So you guys are saying that being cross drilled and slotted adds absolutely zero benefits compared to the standard premium centric rotor?

Cross drilled does nothing for you. It's for gas not heat.

Slotted can be an improvement. I do cheap blanks and toss when wrapped.

Stay away from ebay. Buy from someone on the forum and know your getting something that works.

Underdog, or AZPinstalls.com or m sprank. These are your brakes we're talking about...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks guys, I honestly had no idea that they were for looks only! It's not for bling; I got into a accident and got a couple weeks back and I feel like the brakes are absolute sh*t and could have worked a lot better. My xterra fully loaded for moab feels like it stops better and it just has plain rotors and premium ceramic brakes.

I was looking at the evo brembos, but don't like the idea of drilling out the spindles and I really don't have the money to do the rims at the same time.

Thanks guys, I honestly had no idea that they were for looks only! It's not for bling; I got into a accident and got a couple weeks back and I feel like the brakes are absolute sh*t and could have worked a lot better. My xterra fully loaded for moab feels like it stops better and it just has plain rotors and premium ceramic brakes.

I was looking at the evo brembos, but don't like the idea of drilling out the spindles and I really don't have the money to do the rims at the same time.

This is why I mentioned tires before. If you can slam on your brakes and activate the ABS, your tires have run out of grip. At that point your car cannot stop any more quickly. With Dunlop Star Specs and run of the mill HPS pads and Centric Blanks, my LGT stops extremely harder and needs much less distance to stop than stock.

Upgrading to Brembos, AP Racing, or Wilwood calipers won't help you in a panic stop. There's many things they will fix, but a solitary panic stop (considering your brakes aren't over heated) is not one of them. A larger caliper such as those can help reduce brake fade which should only effect track drivers or in some cases drivers going down mountain roads.

• 2 months later...

Archived