LegacyGT.com

Rotella T6 diesel?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't worry if it says diesel, as long as it says Rotella T6 5w40. Google it up and you'll see that even the Porsche guys put Rotella T6 in their cars (and yes it's a diesel oil but also rated for gasoline engines). Those guys are fanatics too. Same on the bimmerforums, I use it in my E36 M3. It's a great oil that's affordable :)

I like it as well, I used the t5 in my bd, seemed a bit thin I could hear the valve train over a freshly rebuilt motor..got some t6 3k later and been using it for the three yeas i have owned subarus. I couldn't hear a peep out of it..great stuff, I will never use canola1 ever again..

M3? Get an m6 buddy...j/k those things are machines.

I like it as well, I used the t5 in my bd, seemed a bit thin I could hear the valve train over a freshly rebuilt motor..got some t6 3k later and been using it for the three yeas i have owned subarus. I couldn't hear a peep out of it..great stuff, I will never use canola1 ever again..

M3? Get an m6 buddy...j/k those things are machines.

Oh yeah...wish I could put that V10 in my E36...but hopefully one day a GT35r will be in the works.

Just did my first oil change on the LGT. I chose Rotella T6 5w40. I bought the gallon for about $22.00 but I found it wasn't enough. About a half quart low. If I'm correct our cars take 4.5 quarts? So what's everyone doing? Buying 1 gallon and 1 quart and using half of it or buying 2 gallons and only using 1 and 1/8 gallon?

Either way some of my buddies also by the quart of Lucas stabilizer to offset the gallon.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4

That's a good idea, I just got this car and I noticed it was a bit low too, had no idea the capacity was a half qt more than the 2.2 so I went and bought the extra qt for $6.30 this stuff is much more expensive bought by qt as I found out..when I did the t6 oil it was on sale at wal-mart for 17 bucks Walt mart doesn't carry the wix filters though :(

For more oil capacity? How much bigger are they?

Its funny now that I think of it the mobil1 oil I used in my hondas and once in my bd came in the 5 qt jug and was always putting the rest in an extra container..rotella should do that.

Finally got around to change the oil and it was a Pain in the A**!! This was my first time doing it myself and the place i took it to last time overtorqued the drain plug and the oil filter! Struggled quite a bit with both but the oil filter was the hardest, it's only supposed to be tightened as much as you can by hand right?

i just came across this thread, maybe a bit too late, but i've been using the T6 5w-40 in my 93 for a couple years. If you didnt know, it is API certified sm, which is the gasoline api rating up to 2010, (has been superceded by sn). Even the 15w-40 is API certified for gas engines to sm, which i have used in older cars(early 80's and before) when they come thru my shop. Even the Mobil Delvac is API certified sm for use in gasoline engines.

Finally got around to change the oil and it was a Pain in the A**!! This was my first time doing it myself and the place i took it to last time overtorqued the drain plug and the oil filter! Struggled quite a bit with both but the oil filter was the hardest, it's only supposed to be tightened as much as you can by hand right?

Hand tighten the filter and don't overtighten the drain plug.

Easiest way is to remove the filter FIRST (one of the posters on here suggested using a red SOLO cup over the filter once you have it loose to avoid dripping hot oil on your hand-good idea) and let it drain in the pan until it's done. Pre-fill your new filter and after wiping everything down, SLOWLY turn it on until it touches and tighten by hand. Then go and drain the pan while you're buttoning up the undertray.

Goes much faster if you do it in this order and with less mess.

Hand tighten the filter and don't overtighten the drain plug.

Easiest way is to remove the filter FIRST (one of the posters on here suggested using a red SOLO cup over the filter once you have it loose to avoid dripping hot oil on your hand-good idea) and let it drain in the pan until it's done. Pre-fill your new filter and after wiping everything down, SLOWLY turn it on until it touches and tighten by hand. Then go and drain the pan while you're buttoning up the undertray.

Goes much faster if you do it in this order and with less mess.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll make sure to do this next time I change it :cool: never taking it to a place to do my oil changes anymore.

Any auto parts store should have free recycling, even for oil filters..

I had never thought about pre filling the oil filter, great tip. Usually when I do the oil changes I grab a new crush ring for the plug, helps to guage the torque down...you can feel them smash down and right when it gets a little hard to torque just an1/8th turn will do it.

Any auto parts store should have free recycling, even for oil filters..

I had never thought about pre filling the oil filter, great tip. Usually when I do the oil changes I grab a new crush ring for the plug, helps to guage the torque down...you can feel them smash down and right when it gets a little hard to torque just an1/8th turn will do it.

I use a quick change valve to replace the drain bolt. Have it on all my cars avoids a lot of replacements of crush washers. :)

Archived