LegacyGT.com

Outback XT Exhaust.

Hi, new here, and finding the forums very informative so far.

Some of you mentioned putting Invidia and Borla exhausts on your OBXT's. Can I ask which Borla exhaust you have? And can I ask how you made the Invidia fit? I have an '05 OBXT that's at the tail end of a major project, and the last part was the exhaust, but the shop told me yesterday that the Invidia Q300 that I bought is not going to fit, despite what the rep at Rallysport told me when I bought it.

Anyone have any suggestions/ideas? The guys at the shop really seem to know what they're doing, so I'm puzzled as to why they say it's not going to work?

What year car do you have? It should fit. The exhaust tips usually need to be cut off and turn downs welded on. Or you need to modify the bumper so the exhaust doesn't melt it.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My vehicle is a 2005. And according to them, the problem isn't with the bumper, it's that the control arm, sway bar, and rear axle are in the way. perhaps things on the '05 are different than on later model years of the XT?

I am confused. That's the other way around. If one wants to take out the sway bar for instance, you have to take the mufflers off first. In other words, there's nothing blocking the mufflers, nor the y-pipe.

I am confused. That's the other way around. If one wants to take out the sway bar for instance, you have to take the mufflers off first. In other words, there's nothing blocking the mufflers, nor the y-pipe.

I don't know what to tell you other than what they explained to me a few times, which is what I wrote above - the control arm, sway bar, and rear axle are all in the way of the piping/mufflers for this Invidia Q300 exhaust I bought. I didn't get to see it on the lift while they tried, because I was at work, but I have a friend who works at the shop, and the way he explained it to me, there was no way things were going to fit without being able to bend the hell out of the pipes to fit around the above-mentioned obstacles.

these guys just did a complete engine rebuild for me, and have a great reputation, so I trust what they tell me; so, you can understand why I'm incredibly puzzled by what I read here vs. what I'm told there. I welcome any and all suggestions, as this project has taken way too long, and I'm eager to have it done.

Are you sure that RSD sent you the right part? You shouldn't be having any fitment issues aside from the axlebacks right at the bumper.

This is what is being checked on today. I can't get to the shop til tomorrow, and they'd already packed the exhaust back up for return shipping, so they're digging it out, and sending me pictures and any part numbers attached. Based on what i've read here and other places, I'm concerned there's a possibility that I was sent the wrong part.

I will try to share a picture as soon as I can get one.

• 5 months later...

A little late to the party. But wanted to bring this thread back from the past!

Has anyone actually cut their bumpers for their exhaust tips (straight back)?

I wish I could just swap the black plastic bumper with a different type. Or there was a inexpensive body kit?

• Moderators

I just recently trimmed mine a bit to allow for aftermarket mufflers. I just needed a bit of room for the times, but trimming was very minimal. Tips still touch the bumper, but extend past the edge. No issues so far, I think the double-walled tips stay cool enough so they don't cause any problems.

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad187/BarManBean/OBXT/01033A52-357B-4521-BB86-00D5B59FF257_zpsyqmr7woc.jpg

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• 5 weeks later...
I just recently trimmed mine a bit to allow for aftermarket mufflers. I just needed a bit of room for the times, but trimming was very minimal. Tips still touch the bumper, but extend past the edge. No issues so far, I think the double-walled tips stay cool enough so they don't cause any problems.

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad187/BarManBean/OBXT/01033A52-357B-4521-BB86-00D5B59FF257_zpsyqmr7woc.jpg

Are these Prodrive mufflers?

• Moderators
Looks like a nice clean fit. Did you have to do any fab to the actual mufflers, or just trim the bumper?

Just a bit of bumper cutting that's probably not visible if I ever remove them. Also have 4 extended hangers for the mufflers, stock hanger at the mid pipe--fit is better with the single stock one remaining, I tried an extended there as well.

The tips site right against the bumper, but they are double walled and extend past the bumper so I haven't had any heat / melting issues.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Nameless Performance just made me a turboback with the 5" turndown mufflers for my 2005 OBXT. I'll be installing it on Saturday if anyone has any specific requests for photos or has any questions.

Nameless Performance just made me a turboback with the 5" turndown mufflers for my 2005 OBXT. I'll be installing it on Saturday if anyone has any specific requests for photos or has any questions.

Sound clips are always helpful!

I have the nameless cb with the 5" mufflers on my obxt. It's definitely not "stock type" quiet, but far better than most of the Subaru exhausts you hear. You could say it has a throaty rumble without being obnoxious. it took some getting used to as it definitely turns some heads (and in a good way) but Im not into super loud exhausts anymore and wouldn't change it if I had to do it again because I just love hearing while driving around with the windows down. my gripe with the exhaust is that it amplifies the pops and backfires with in the exhaust which I hope with getting it a good dyno tune tomorrow morning will hopefully take care of most of the pops/ backfires. (just to keep in mind for sound levels I'm getting, is with aftermarket stuff; ej257 with stock header{for now till I find something worth it}, blouch 18g and cobb catted DP) Hope this might give you another opinion on the nameless cb as I have been running it for a few months now.

well, I'd say that it is quite loud so far.

I took some dB readings after the install (sorry none before) and from 10ft directly to the rear it's 72dB at idle. 82dB at 3k RPM and up to 96dB with some throttle blipping (up to 6k or so)

90dB is 4 times as loud at 70dB - basically like a lawnmower

https://www.chem.purdue.edu/chemsafety/Training/PPETrain/dblevels.htm

well, I'd say that it is quite loud so far.

I took some dB readings after the install (sorry none before) and from 10ft directly to the rear it's 72dB at idle. 82dB at 3k RPM and up to 96dB with some throttle blipping (up to 6k or so)

90dB is 4 times as loud at 70dB - basically like a lawnmower

https://www.chem.purdue.edu/chemsafety/Training/PPETrain/dblevels.htm

I hope you will learn to love it if you don't all ready lol :wub:

Archived