LegacyGT.com

New Spec B Owner - Advice Requsted

All,

Thank you for all of your posts. I've been "trolling" the site for weeks to narrow down my options for my 2008 Spec B. I'm going for a professional looking/sounding daily that I can bring out to the track (road track) once or twice a year and enjoy in the Colorado snow. As far as I can tell my car is stock less the slotted rotors and EBC yellow pads.

I'm looking at doing the following (for now):

Whiteline Sway Bars

Whiteline End Links

STi Pink Springs

Grimspeed UpPipe

Invidia DownPipe

Process West Intercooler

Cobb Accessport V3

What are your thoughts? The car has about 72k miles. This is my first Subaru, so any/all advice is appreciated.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here is the revised list:

Whiteline Sway Bars

Whiteline End Links

STi Pink Springs

Whiteline LCA bushings

Avo rear sway bar reinforcement brackets

Invidia DownPipe

Process West Intercooler

Protune

Is the tune worth it at this point or should I do additional engine modifications (all at once) before? If so, any suggestions? I hate being a newbie, so thank you in advance for all of your advice.

Welcome to the Denver club, here are my suggestions:

- Go E85 if you can, as it's the best bang-for-your-buck. You will get significant power gains with just a fuel pump and tune. I've been running E85 exclusively for over 4 years, but you have to live near a station to make it work.

- It's probably not necessary to upgrade your TMIC if you're keeping the stock turbo, but if you're upgrading, you're right to go big with the PW.

- Talk to cryo about a tune, he's got a thread in the mountain west section. The nice thing about a tune is that you're only out $200 or so if you decide you need more power. I personally think it's good to step up your power and other upgrades incrementally, but that's just me. You'll save a little money on tunes if you get a bigger turbo, but then you'll want something bigger more quickly than you would have otherwise. I went Stg I, then Stg II, then VF52 on 91, then VF52 on E85, then 68hta on E85.

- Talk to Matt at Max Automotive about mechanical work if you need a shop. His reviews are in the recommended businesses thread in the mountain west section.

- When replacing the LCA bushings, consider the +.5 caster bushings, as they greatly improved turn-in for me. Here's my review- http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/installed-poly-bushings-today-156451.html?t=156451&highlight=LCA+bushings

- If you're upgrading power, plan on keeping money handy for a clutch.

Updated List:

Phase 1:

So here is the revised list:

Whiteline Sway Bars

Whiteline End Links

STi Pink Springs

Whiteline LCA +.5 caster bushings

Avo rear sway bar reinforcement brackets

Invidia DownPipe

Cyro - Tune

Phase 2 - TBD

I would say to do all of the suspension and handling first getting the car to turn and ride like you want and then go ahead and begin on the engine. You can still have fun with it in it's current engine form and as it handles better and better, you may only want to go with a stage one tune and leave it basic.

Put some good brakes on it too. You don't have to upgrade to Brembos or Wilwood or any BBK for that matter. Good pads, Centric Cryo rotors, stainless brake hoses, and good fluid completely flushed through and you'll be absolutely shocked at the difference.

I really think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how much the suspension and brake mods will make the car so much faster everywhere you drive it by being planted to the road, having little to no body roll, and being able to stop so much quicker and shorter, not to mention some of the amazing twisty and excellent roads out by Nederland and Estes Park and Boulder and EVERYDAMNWHERE in Colorado...LOL.

AND...suspension mods have NEVER blown a turbo or a ringland or a head gasket or a rod bearing.

:soap_box: for suspension mods first....LOL

Thanks JmP6889928. That is really good advice that I will take. I can worry about additional power later on, but the handling is something I can appreciate now. That's great advice on the brakes. I'll add them to the list.

BarManBean - I'm looking at Koni's or Bilstein HDs. I live in CO and the car is a daily, so I'm not entirely sure if I could do coil overs instead. I've never run them on any car I've owned and I've heard they require a lot of maintenance.

My advice? Drive the car! Have some fun! These are fun cars! But take note of everything you don't like. It's amazing how quickly you will figure out cars weak spots. Some people say suspension upgrades and some people say power upgrades.

What I would do? Drive the car, know how it feels so YOU can modify it to be the car YOU want it to be.

After all it is your car that you are driving!

Rush600. I couldn't agree more. I love driving the car, but do notice body roll and I want to improve the handling of the car primarily. If I'm going to dig into the suspension, I rather do it all at once vs. doing the same work over again and paying to have it realigned multiple times. Make sense?

I am certainly intrigued by modifications,,,,

Indeed,my 1971 Canary yellow Karman Ghia convertible was modified.After 3 count them 3 nose jobs were performed on my front end because of the lower ineffective bumpers .

These mods are performance added.Mine was not.

Was it because of the likable design which I had with my Ghia,or something I don't grasp here.

If performance was essential,why not consider another car?

By the way,,my mod was a J.C.Whitney ,jaguar type nose affix done by three bolts.

Archived