LegacyGT.com

Symptoms of imminent 5MT failure...?

DeltaNu1142

• I Donated
I did a clutchmasters fx300 kit in my car with a tsk3 kit, group n tranny mount, and trans crossmember bushings. I had a slight rattle before with the stock tob, and now that I have the tsk3 kit it sounds like marbles in the tranny. Honestly thinking about taking out the tsk kit and putting in the clutch masters tob.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Could also be the increased NVH from the trans mount?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did the same as you Lgtmark: added TSK3+group n trans mount. Sometimes, I feel like I am driving a rally car! But yeah, the TSK3 kit is not that quiet at all. Maybe the mechanic did not grease it properly :rolleyes:.

I hear it at idle and when I take my foot off the gas when I'm moving.

That's not the TSK making the noise. The group N mount with a solid flywheel is god awful noisy. I dumped my mount, went back to stock and I am happy.

• Moderators
I swapped from the stock clutch w/ GroupN trans mount to FX350/SMFW/TSK3 and added Group N crossmember bushings. I don't feel like I have any addition TOB noise at all... :confused: Still have less than 1k miles on it, but NVH doesn't seem to have changed much aside from a bit that I think can be attributed to the crossmember bushings. I also definitely have a bit of decel clutch chatter but that's normal.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Huh, well I have a GroupN trans mount going on once I finish up my bearings, and I already have a SMFW. My TOB makes a little noise at idle.

Hearing all the talk about the SMFW causing some additional noise makes me wonder if I wasn't terribly paranoid, bc my trans shifts great and it's been the same noise for maybe 40k miles that prompted the purchase of an additional trans..

I just drove back from lunch & heard the same rattling with the clutch in as well as out. That's new. In my mind, that's evidence supporting a TOB problem and pointing away from transmission. I cancelled my appointment with the dealer. I'm going to think on this for a bit. I think I'm going to RTF. Maybe it's all in my head.
Tits mcgee

I definately get more gear whine in first and second (which I LOVE) but I had the tranny mount before the clutch. And it didn't sound the way it does now on deceleration.

I did the same as you Lgtmark: added TSK3+group n trans mount. Sometimes, I feel like I am driving a rally car! But yeah, the TSK3 kit is not that quiet at all. Maybe the mechanic did not grease it properly :rolleyes:.

Love driving my car! Sounds awesome aside from the noise, it has no driveability issues whatsoever, clutch engages and shifts well. Just noisy.... I was also wondering if grease could be the issue... May need to check into that. I did the install on everything and it was my first clutch job on anything other than aircooled vw's so I could very well have not put enough grease in it. Kind of sketched about packing a bunch of grease next to the friction disc.

• 5 weeks later...

About a week ago, I started to hear a whine that increases with speed, regardless of gear. I ordered everything I need for the 6MT swap. 2011 STi transmission goes in sometime in September. I brought it by a new shop last night, the one I'm pretty sure I'm going to have do the tranny swap, and had a guy drive it around. He's suspecting input shaft bearing. He thought there might a synchro issue as well. When shifting from 1-2, there's always been a "peeeeeeooooooo..." sound between gears. I guess I'll know in a month, if I choose to diagnose the 5MT.

Too many problems for a '09 with <40k miles...

Tits mcgee

Well, you're @ stage 3 though :hide:

MILD S3, stock fueling, and very little abuse...

Delta, you've definitely had too many problems for an '09. craziness.

I admit a lot of it has been self-inflicted. But the tranny... by far the most expensive and least assignable issue. If I hadn't resolved that this would be the first car I've ever owned that I'm going to drive to death, I'm sure I would have sold it by now.

Tits mcgee

Just posted a video from after this morning's commute. Not good. I had envisioned putting in captions in the video to say when the clutch is in or out... but I just don't have time right now.

http://youtu.be/dyLvFJOf3UM

Even with good headphones on I couldn't hear much of anything. Maybe a little bit of a repetitive clunk; not sure if that's what you're talking about.

Even with good headphones on I couldn't hear much of anything. Maybe a little bit of a repetitive clunk; not sure if that's what you're talking about.

Yeah... sound is bad. At idle, you can hear a new, clackety-clack when the clutch pedal is out. Input shaft with new-found play? Don't know. On Tapatalk & hate one-finger, tiny-screen typing.

Tits mcgee

Not sure how I missed this thread. Was that rattling with the clutch pedal down, or up?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Not sure how I missed this thread. Was that rattling with the clutch pedal down, or up?

Pedal up, in neutral. The whine I hear when revving--which is what I really wanted to capture in the video--disappears with the clutch pedal in, and persists through the gears while driving.

Tits mcgee

Archived