LegacyGT.com

Symptoms of imminent 5MT failure...?

DeltaNu1142

FWIW - when I had my ACT HDSS clutch and Subaru OEM WRX SMFW installed, I also had the Group N transmount and STI dogbone, along with the WL cross-member bits installed as well. Also installed a TSK3. When I got the car back, I was stunned at the increase in noise/rattling versus the DMFW stock setup. Part of it was associated with my COBB HFC DP and Perrin Mid/Y pipe, but the preponderance of it came from the combination of the ACT CD/PP, and the bushes.

Now, as the trans has aged (stage 2 for 80K miles) and the TSK3 TOB has also "worn", I get a slight rattle (predominantly TOB or PP noise) at idle. There is a whine under load/accelerating, but this, I believe, is mount-bushing-related. Manual transmissions make noises, and when their chassis isolation is replaced with less isolative bushings, NVH makes its way into the cabin.

That said, if you're getting rattling at cruise, then it's likely that your TOB is riding on your PP and is prematurely worn-out, or it's clutch parts related. Not saying it can't be internal to the transmission, but I'd look further upstream first. When you're sure that the clutch bits are in good shape, then, consider the trans assessment as your next step.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the TOB, clutch & flywheel are new. I installed a Group N tranny mount, crossmember bushings & KB shift bushings quite a while ago at stage 2. I started this thread because yesterday, with the car warmed up, running, with the driver door open at idle, I could hear rattling under the car with the clutch pedal out. Pedal in, the noise goes away. A week or so ago I passed it off as heat shield rattle, but I know now that's not the case. The additional NVH was barely noticeable after the shifter, bushing, and tranny mount install, and there's been no change since, so I think I can rule that out.

I don't notice the rattle at speed probably due to road noise, and I can't say it's not there. It is there at idle.

Tits mcgee

What a 5mt that is noisy, and has problems....why I never heard of such a thing.

How many on here say LWFW = worst MOD we every did ?

You should have the OEM FW re-surfaced and put it back in.

Hey my 5mt was rebuilt 2 years ago, it's out right now because it felt funny when in 3rd gear most of the time and was hard to pull out of 3rd sometimes.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

What a 5mt that is noisy, and has problems....why I never heard of such a thing.

Hey my 5mt was rebuilt 2 years ago, it's out right now because it felt funny when in 3rd gear most of the time and was hard to pull out of 3rd sometimes.

Who built your tranny? And here's 1 vote for the LWFW being the worst mod.. I could kick myself over and over for buying that. My thought was that the ACT LWFW would be a good compliment to the ACT HDSS clutch, but apparently they don't test their products together.

Yeah, but you know as well as I do... there's noise, and there's noise.

It ranks up there with the "park in the bar parking lot & let a drunk back into it" mod I did earlier this year.

My OEM SMFW was toast after 35k-ish miles, beyond resurfacing. That's one reason I believe I have problem.

Tits mcgee

Who built your tranny? QUOTE]

My trusted tranny guy. He has a long back ground of working on trannys of all types. So I don't question his work. He's good.

My tranny has a long history.

Hind sight 20/20, I should have done the 6mt swap years ago.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Absolutely hated my ACT set up. I was planning on going OEM SMFW and Exedy clutch but decided to go with a 6MT swap instead. Loving it everyday.

Who built your tranny? QUOTE]

My trusted tranny guy. He has a long back ground of working on trannys of all types. So I don't question his work. He's good.

My tranny has a long history.

Hind sight 20/20, I should have done the 6mt swap years ago.

So you're telling me I'm better off swapping a 6mt than building a 5mt?

Absolutely, if you can source a 6mt and have some money to throw around..

Also depends on your driving: more rural than highway and I'd stick with a 5mt - lots of highway, get a 6mt

I don't think the latter holds true for an STi swap, do you? I say that because there's far more availability these days for a 08+ STi 6MT than a Spec B 6MT... and ratios/mesh differ greatly.

Tits mcgee

I don't think the latter holds true for an STi swap, do you? I say that because there's far more availability these days for a 08+ STi 6MT than a Spec B 6MT... and ratios/mesh differ greatly.

Well, I have an 09 STi 6MT with a re-geared 5th and 6th. It really blew my budget out of the water but better do it while the tranny was out rather than pull it at a later time. Should save money on the long run if you are really bent on the Spec B gearing (which I am).

The biggest cost for my swap, apart from tranny & diff, were the rear axles, DCCD controller, and labor.

^ And there you have it (beat my post)..

Yes, from my reading a specB 6mt will help on highway. An STi 6mt will not. I believe Waxiboy had the 5th & 6th replaced in his recent swap from STi gears to specB gears for the reason you mentioned.

Also, with a specB 6mt you will not have to deal with DCCD for better or worse.

The transmission has always had sort of a "whir" to it with the clutch pedal out, even before installing the new clutch. In the past week or so, that whir has become a really noticeable rattle. Pedal in, quiet. Pedal out, marbles.

Here is a solution.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/spec-stage-2-clutch-pack-and-lwfw-review-78095.html?highlight=tob+fork

I wouldn't call it a solution- merely a bandaid at best. I have one installed, and even after adjusting the spring tension over and over, it hasn't made much of a difference. The slave solenoid uses the internal spring to function properly; a clutch return spring just complicates the troubleshooting. There is a bigger issue somewhere that is causing these problems- whether its the stroke of the CSC, CMC, or any of the other parameters, I don't know. Something is causing the TOB to ride the clutch, and I'm just not sure the clutch return spring is the right way to go. Either too stiff of a spring prevents the CSC from actuating, or too soft and the TOB still rides the PP.

It would have to be a pretty stiff spring to cause this to happen.

Anything less than that spring and I was still having issues. I suspected the CSC, however I replaced it to no avail. I may actually try a CSC from a later model, or a new CMC.

Still attempting to get a side-by-side between the 05-06 DMFW and the 07+ SMFW CSCs. Will post pics as soon as I have them in my hands.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• I Donated
I'm finding zero availability of Spec B 6MTs, and lots of STi 6MTs. SBT's figure is about what I've found for the STi options with all parts including labor.

Considering there were maybe 1500 6MT Spec.Bs imported into the U.S., period (a generous estimate), and most of them are probably still on the road, I am not surprised. In contrast, there were more STIs, and there are more STI drivers that have done stupid stuff and totaled their cars. ;)

Yeah, it's probably safe to say that more STis have been wrecked than the number of Spec Bs imported. I love the idea of regearing a low-mileage STi 6MT with Spec B ratios... but I'm unlikely to wait for the additional time that will require.

Anyway, we're now getting into swap talk, which is liberally covered in another thread. I drop my LGT off tomorrow AM at the dealer for 5MT diagnosis. I've been on the fence on whether I'm being paranoid about the existence of an issue and whether I should run to failure, but I'd rather not have to worry about it, so it's going in the shop to make sure.

Tits mcgee

I did a clutchmasters fx300 kit in my car with a tsk3 kit, group n tranny mount, and trans crossmember bushings. I had a slight rattle before with the stock tob, and now that I have the tsk3 kit it sounds like marbles in the tranny. Honestly thinking about taking out the tsk kit and putting in the clutch masters tob.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Archived