LegacyGT.com

Performance Winter Tire- what to choose?

DoubleM

I know this might have been asked a million times, but I'm kinda confused. I really wanted to get a set of Dunlop Wintersport tires, Dunlop says they make them, but Tire Rack doesn't offer them in the stock LGT sizing, or any sizing even close to that. The local shop says that they discontinued the tire, so I'm out of luck. These are the options that Tire Rack gives me. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?cameFrom=WinterSection&startIndex=0&vehicleSearch=true&width=215/&ratio=45&diameter=17&sortcode=49500&performance=W&minLoad=S&search=true

I was thinking about the blizzak lm-25 or michelin pilot alpin PA2, what do you guys think? Anybody have experience with these 2 tires, or know where to buy some Wintersport M3s in our sizing?

I know this might have been asked a million times, but I'm kinda confused. I really wanted to get a set of Dunlop Wintersport tires, Dunlop says they make them, but Tire Rack doesn't offer them in the stock LGT sizing, or any sizing even close to that. The local shop says that they discontinued the tire, so I'm out of luck. These are the options that Tire Rack gives me.

I just purchased a set of 3Ds in 225/45/17 sizing.

I know, I know, narrower would've been better, but I didn't want to go with the M3s, available in 215/50/17 sizing, and TireRack didn't offer the 3Ds in that size.

I thought that the M3s were being phased-out in favor of the 3Ds :confused: -> maybe that's why your locals say that the "WinterSports" are discontinued?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I have the M3s, pretty good compromise between performance and winter driving.

Still don't hold a candle on the snow vs my RSIs on my minivan.

Best performance winter tires I ever had where GoodYear Ultra Grip GW3s.

I just put Wintersport 3D's on my car 205/50/17 size. The 205 width should be better in the snow (see Xenonk's post here: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4426). As a bonus, that size will also be a closer diameter to the stock Spec.B 215/45/18 than the 215/45/17 would be, so your speedometer wouldn't be off by as much either.

I'll throw another name into the mix:

I have Continental ContiWinterContact TS810 Sports, they are popular among the Porsche crowd. They are quiet, perform well in dry/wet/snow, and the car is still fun to drive with them. I have not had them on bad ice or deep snow as of yet, but in light snow and sub-freezing temps they have been spectacular.

Hankook W300 Icebears .... excellent performance snow tire and great value for money. Handles better than re92 in the dry too!!

Had them on my LGT (RIP) and now on my Gti and are awesome in the snow.

Hankook W300 Icebears .... excellent performance snow tire and great value for money. Handles better than re92 in the dry too!!

+10000000000000000000

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

I have a set of Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22's that I have used through one full winter so far. On dry pavement, these things are impressive... I can't tell any significant difference in handling between them and the stock summer tires. On snow, I have never had any problems with getting stuck in the Subie, but my last vehicle was a Toyota 4x4 with serious M+S tires that used to easily get me through very deep snow, and I sure notice a difference now with my Spec.B in deep snow (I felt a lot more confident in the pickup, mainly due to the ground clearance I think). In very light snow or rain, I'd feel more confident in the Subaru on the Blizzaks.

Anyway, I am very happy with the Blizzaks, but don't have anything to comare them with on my Subaru except for the stock tires, which are absolutely horrible in the snow (as they should be--they're not designed for winter driving).

I find 205/50R17 an excellent size for winter tires for an LGT. They fit the stock wheel quite well and give about 1/4-inch more sidewall for lousy winter roads.

I have Nokian RSi, but may try the 3D when they wear out after a few winters.

Up here in snow country.... I chose to go with what I feel are great tyres. The Nokian AK5 w/factory studs have major grip and loose enough to easily throw in a controlled drift and not to mention 190km/h (118mph) speed rating. woohoo!! let the snow fall!!! I also was lucky to find these winter rims at a good price too..

We have already gotten 2 feet of snow and they predict another 16" to 18" by the end of the weekend.

Happy trails all and most importantly have fun, I know I will:D

CIMG1182.JPG.fc7f4e37501a0be92193dcb4a252fbbb.JPG

CIMG1183.JPG.b3d1b7249e76f465979ff6cab7460631.JPG

CIMG1192.JPG.765cf6d37f6156d27eda3a38d485ab98.JPG

+1

Also look at these threads on Winter Tires:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3043

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70826

Although I like my Icebears, I'm considering the Nokian RSI for the next winter tire.

Ron

How the heck do I delete messages? :redface: I'm such an Intraweb noob! :redface: Double-posts FTL!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I just purchased a set of 3Ds in 225/45/17 sizing.

I know, I know, narrower would've been better, but I didn't want to go with the M3s, available in 215/50/17 sizing, and TireRack didn't offer the 3Ds in that size.

I thought that the M3s were being phased-out in favor of the 3Ds :confused: -> maybe that's why your locals say that the "WinterSports" are discontinued?

Same here. Chose that size to stay close to my spec b wheel setup in diameter and enjoy the slightly larger sidewall.

both m3s on my previous car and the 3ds i just put on the lgt are great in the snow and rain, and nice in the dry as well.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

That looks awesome, muddawg! :D

Thanks TSi + WRX, I really like them a lot, a little noisy but well worth it for the extra bite.

I went to 17" from the 18" OEM wheels and went as tall as possible w/225/50/17 on +48 17" rims.

They fit real tight in the rear but it all passes with no rubbing....phew!

I also installed mudflaps to keep the nasty stuff of the paint and man do they make a difference.

CIMG1170E.thumb.jpg.bc67cd0a0e452af7f594a4c7db93e61b.jpg

muddawg, what's your suspension setup?

I had some light rubbing in the rear with Hankook Icebears W300 in 225/50/17 on +45 17x7.5 wheels on my Swift springs. I've ordered some +48 17x7 wheels to replace them to try to eliminate the rubbing.

These are some great recommendations. The Nokian WR is popular as well for all but the most extreme conditions.

The Goodyear Ultra Grip Performance and [new] Michelin PA3 both seem like great tires but I don't own them.

In the latest ADAC [German Auto Club] test of 205/55 x 16" H rated tires, the order was:

Michelin Alpin PA3

Dunlop SP WinterSport 3D

Conti WinterContact TS 810

Goodyear Ultra Grip Performance

Vredestein SnowTrac 2

Yokohama W.Drive

Hankook W440 Ice Bear

Pirelli W210 Sotto Zero

In last year's CR tests, the ranking was as follows. But I don't think their testing methodology is great.

Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip GW3 H

Nitto Winter SN1 H

Continental ContiWinterContact TS810 H

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25

Nokian WR All Weather Plus H (which has an All-Season rating as well)

Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 V

Continental ContiWinterContactTS810S V

ADAC2007Snow.jpg.4e846ef79080efa24cc1f9e09f4eb398.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Gnuey,

I have the swifts all around, it lowered the rear a good amount.

I must admit though if I push the car hard into a drift on a sharp curve (got a good left and right curve on the way home :D) and the road has some good size bumps I get a slight rub on full compression, but nothing to worry about.

After this happened I put the car on the lift to verify but there was nothing, not even any tire scrape or on the wheel well molding.

In the 2 pics attached the tire is up there since the spring is compressed because of the slope on the garage floor for drainage.

The other side has an opening between the tire and the body.

CIMG1193.JPG.8a9108b37fa0ffe3e3bae68b4a417b74.JPG

CIMG1144E.thumb.jpg.441d3844e4e8b348702f705fd625e840.jpg

Wow, thanks for all the advice! I've been searching around for a while, and my buddy has been satisfied with the Blizzak LM-25 215/45/17 that he has on his LGT, so I bought a set of those. The stupid thing was that the day the tires arrived, TireRack posted up the wintersport m3 available in my size, and they were each $11 cheaper.:spin: So, I just got the blizzaks put on, and I'm very pleased with them as far as on-road handling is concerned. They make a tad bit more tire noise than I'm used to, but its not too bad. I heard the northeast here is supposed to get a good snow this weekend, so I'll hopefully be able to test them out in the snow soon. I looked at the Nokian winter tires, but they were more expensive than what I was willing to spend. I put the tires on the stock LGT rims that I bought off another member, I didn't think there would be too much of a speedometer difference since the size is the standard LGT sizing. How much is my speedo off by? I drive past at least 2 cops a day, and I don't wanna get pulled over because my speedometer was wrong...

Archived