LegacyGT.com

'06 chevy impala

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=106706

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/firstdrive/2006/chevrolet.impala/06.chevrolet.impalass.r34.500.jpg

Last year GM sold 290,256 Impalas, which made it the third best-selling passenger car in America behind the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord. With this full redesign, Chevrolet has immensely improved an already popular sedan. Add the new V8-powered SS model to the equation, and we think the 2006 Chevrolet Impala is a winner.

what do you all think?

i kind of like the new redesign.

I know I'l probably go all weak-kneed at the exhaust note....

Aesthetically, the front end doesn't do much for me. Too much like a bumped-up Cobalt or even a previous-generation Sebring. :( But the rear 3/4-view looks nice - especially on the SS. It would be interesting to see how this car fares with the new Charger, as the styling really sets the latter apart.

The SS looks to have decent straight-line numbers, but it's getting up there in MSRP. Stiff going up against the Charger, yet again, and the FWD vs. RWD thing, I'd imagine, won't help the SS as a selling point for all but those who are really, realy worried about snow/winter traction.

I guess, for me, the jury's out on this one.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

GM just isn't getting it.

+2

I'll add that I think it is a DISGRACE that they slap an "SS" badge on every stinking model, even NON performance models. It is an insult to all of the great cars of the past that carried the "real" SS name.

Guest *Jedimaster*

At least the old one was on the same chassis as the older GP's. Great chassis- comfortable and handled decently.

I agree on slapping SS on everything- what a slap in the face to their own history. I remember when they were gonna make a GTO version of the old Grand Am and people said "Are you kidding?!".

I agree this car doesn't deserve the SS emblem, but they are putting a 5.3-liter V-8 making 303 hp and 323 lb-ft. That is a lot of power for a front wheel drive car!!! Stupid GM!!!

If you can control it...it will probably be Legacy fast.

I'll add that I think it is a DISGRACE that they slap an "SS" badge on every stinking model, even NON performance models. It is an insult to all of the great cars of the past that carried the "real" SS name.

+1

I agree this car doesn't deserve the SS emblem, but they are putting a 5.3-liter V-8 making 303 hp and 323 lb-ft. That is a lot of power for a front wheel car!!! Stupid GM!!!.

+1 on it...

Please see the new GP GXP....

Same thing, GM doesn't don't get it!!!!!!

What a shame....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Check out this thread: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5416&highlight=impala

I know this is an '06 you're talking about, but its still going to be a POS. The Impala's have serious heat issues, and go through trannys because of it with a 200 hp V6, what do you think a 300hp V8 is going to do. One of the factory reps told our mechanics he thought the engineers were on crack...

GM is really a marketing company. They're really not interested in making cars. They should try refrigerators or washers, maybe toaster ovens.

Not far off. Actually, I'd say financing is their real strength...

I don't think it looks that bad, but I wouldn't drive one. I see a bit of the Legacy in it from the rear pillar forward (the sweep and proportion), but then I've been seeing some of the Legacy in several different cars lately. Don't flame me for this--I'm still not thinking right from the accident!

Maybe it's just me, but I can't think of one US made car that is good looking, well with the exception of the Corvettes, Viper's etc.

It must be a mindset that exists over here, like why are there so many damn pickups on the road. Almost everyone on my street has one, but I haven't actually seen anyone with a load of timber or earth in them, just groceries. They burn gas at twice the rate of my little wagon, no wonder gas prices are rocketing skyward when these guys are burning it faster than they can pump it out of the ground. If I want to haul some stuff back from Home Depot, I rent their truck for an hour, costs me $15 !

Gas prices are going to have to go up a whole lot more before things change.

$0.02

Not far off. Actually, I'd say financing is their real strength...

True, they do make most of their money from financing. Alot of that is the fact that most GM cars are financed through GMAC. Take away GM and GMAC will post losses as well.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't think of one US made car that is good looking, well with the exception of the Corvettes, Viper's etc.

$0.02

I agree, however I have this argument with co-workers all the time, most of which are from europe. A lot of it is 'grass is greener' thinking. A lot of the guys in Germany and E Europe do not like MB/BMW/Audi, but they do like pontiac, cadiallac and other american brands.

I usually argue the opposite, and we agree that we just like what the other is used to.

True, they do make most of their money from financing. Alot of that is the fact that most GM cars are financed through GMAC. Take away GM and GMAC will post losses as well.

I think GMAC would be fine without GM. GMAC is HUGE in real estate. Besides, GM has been offering incredibly low finance rates (through GMAC) over the last few years just to sell their crappy cars (0% in many cases) - tough to make money that way.

They might actually be better off if they stopped selling cars completely and focused on financing.

Archived