LegacyGT.com

Which air filter: Perrin, K&N, or OEM?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will the K&N really hurt the MAF that bad??? Its what Im using...

It is a common occurence that is frequently found to be the root cause of bad/rough idle or the engine just not operating smoothly. Check out www.nasioc.com . The thin oil or over-oiling the filter, results in the oil coating the MAF, which drys up and fouls the it.

I keed I keeed

where can one pick up the perrin? I just looked at my air filter last night, and the damn thing is filthy! I just had a 15k service too! :mad:
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

not sure, I just put it in......based on past experiences with similar filters 20,000 miles for normal conditions and 10-15K for harsh condition like up here in New England.....this is just my opinion. See what others do....

I recently installed the drop-in K&N. I haven't noticed any increase in turbo or BOV noise, like some people have stated...but I'm probably going deaf anyways. I really liked the seal around the filter...it's much nicer than the OEM.

I guessing that you have not removed the air intake silencer? I ran my car with the stock air filter and the silencer removed and it became noticably louder with the K&N.

I put the silencer back in last week and the car is barely louder than stock, only noticable to me with the windows down.

I recently installed the drop-in K&N. I haven't noticed any increase in turbo or BOV noise, like some people have stated...but I'm probably going deaf anyways. I really liked the seal around the filter...it's much nicer than the OEM.

• 4 weeks later...
I have a K&N on my LGT and know many people who use them on other turbo cars. I have never had a problem.

I've had mine on the LGT for awhile now, with no problems. I haven't had to re-oil mine yet though. I plan on being very careful with the re-oiling...and hopefully I won't screw something up.

can some one comapre the washable filters? kn avo fram air hog. how many pleats and how deap are they. from what i ahve read the kn does flow more air per inch then a paper filter. the problem is the kn has widly spread out pleets and they are shallow 1/2 inch or so maybe. now the oem paper filters have deap pleats say 1' and tightly packed so the paper filter has more inches of material for air to flow through. so over all it is more. if u could get a kn type with the same surface area as oem then u would get more air flow. so how do they comapre?

Archived