LegacyGT.com

New audio/navi accessories in Japan

apexjapan

haha, you and me both, but I will eventually suck it up and do it anyway.. whats the alternative for people putting something in the cubby? dropping the info center behind the dash and forgetting you have it?

if 7 out of 9 are being used then that should be fine.. but if it almost reaches you could always do something ghetto, grab some shrink wrap and solder an extra couple of inches on all the wires, sure it will most likjley void the warranty.. but it will work :p

I'm anxious to see someone else try it however, as I am not at this stage of my project yet.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming the picture of the cable end starts with pin 1 in the lower left corner, the diagram which Spinjokey posted matches the cable extender.

scans007 -> I ordered one of these kits, so you can see it when it gets here if you want to wait to make a decision. I may even have my flush mount LCD screen done by then too.

Apex, two things

1. Just to confirm because of the way the vents are lop-sided that the double din unit is only for RHD models

2. I really really really really really want to try hooking up the JDM single zone control with the space for the dual din in my USDM car to see if it works, if it doesnt providing I dont damage the unit would it be possible to return it? (I would be fine with some sort of restocking fee etc vs spending 300+ bones on something that im not sure will work)

Thanks for all the updates and cool parts btw.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Ha! Just because I wanted to post some pictures in the members photos... ;)

I've got to check on that - on AVO stuff we usually could work something out, but the Subaru OEM stuff is sometimes difficult.

I do really want to check out the double-din setup - the vents are slightly lopsided (hard to tell), but if it still fit, maybe it would be ok...

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com | http://www.sevenphotos.com | http://www.scoobymag.com

Ha! Just because I wanted to post some pictures in the members photos... ;)

I've got to check on that - on AVO stuff we usually could work something out, but the Subaru OEM stuff is sometimes difficult.

I do really want to check out the double-din setup - the vents are slightly lopsided (hard to tell), but if it still fit, maybe it would be ok...

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

www.avoturboworld.com | www.sevenphotos.com | www.scoobymag.com

Thanks.. as i said even if I had to take a $50-100 hit it didnt work sending it back it would still be 100x better then paying $350 for something i might not be able to use :)

But of coure its gonna work right? ;)

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Good catch Sebberry, I figured the clock page would have all the pinouts... But I guess I was wrong!

Pins 3 and 4 ultimately end up at the Airbag control unit. So you might need to either add 2 more pins or since the relocation ends up next to the airbag control module splice out from there.

Regardless you probably still need to wire them in otherwise the airbag light goes on. There's a SMALL chance you might be able wire a resistor on there to fake the circuit.

So the cable probably won't work as is, however at least you'll get the right connectors.

airbag.jpg.4a3285d7187b4852a1aab79c426e529c.jpg

Thanks.. as i said even if I had to take a $50-100 hit it didnt work sending it back it would still be 100x better then paying $350 for something i might not be able to use :)

But of coure its gonna work right? ;)

Has anyone thought of taking diagonal measurements of the LHD and RHD units to compare? I'd think of that as being a sure-fire way to see if they're the same or not. :)

Has anyone thought of taking diagonal measurements of the LHD and RHD units to compare? I'd think of that as being a sure-fire way to see if they're the same or not. :)

I'm not talking about the double din thing, if i wanted to that i would just haxor up my stock cubby unit.. I'm talking about this

http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/product_info.php?cPath=1_58_3_187&products_id=265

http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/images/150_leg_2din.jpg

exactly why I'm not doing a cubby radio, 2 radios, although functional, just doesn't look right to me.. you know like when those old box TVs died, people would put smaller TVs on top until they got the time to throw out the old curtis mathis and buy a proper TV cabinet? its kinda like that to me heh
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I'm not talking about the double din thing, if i wanted to that i would just haxor up my stock cubby unit.. I'm talking about this

http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/product_info.php?cPath=1_58_3_187&products_id=265

http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/images/150_leg_2din.jpg

I still don't understand why Subaru doesn't make one of these for USDM vehicles with dual climate control. It wouldn't cost much, and these would sell easily. I find this frustrating...

I still don't understand why Subaru doesn't make one of these for USDM vehicles with dual climate control. It wouldn't cost much, and these would sell easily. I find this frustrating...

They would have to engineer it, the whole reason we have the problem is that the boards are integrated, so in order to make one for US cars they would basically have to rengineer a a/c control. They have come up with solutions for G35's and Hondas converting dual zone to single zone with harnesses etc..

Once i hear back from Paul if i can at least get some kind of refund if it doesnt work and i dont blow up the unit I'll order it.

Leonardo, I'll try and take a look at it when I am at the office tomorrow. Scratch that, it's in the catalogue I have here. They have "amber" and "brown" door trim, console trim, shift area trim, vent trim, door grab handle trim, door opener handle trim, and console trim. Door handle, grab handle, vents are about $140-150 shipped (estimated) per "set" of two.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com | http://www.sevenphotos.com | http://www.scoobymag.com

ok guys, to go back to something discussed a few pages ago, I finally had time to get my cubby out and snap some pics of it.

as you can see, and as discussed by someone else here, the usdm info. center harness has 9 pins in use, the one not in use is on the top row 1 over from the right in this pic, dont know the pin # cos I was in a bit of a hurry sorry.

1.jpg.f25652c12af4a5b6eddb8d5d56ee5249.jpg

2.jpg.e095b979395f7c813c28acfaa5235fa1.jpg

They would have to engineer it, the whole reason we have the problem is that the boards are integrated, so in order to make one for US cars they would basically have to rengineer a a/c control. They have come up with solutions for G35's and Hondas converting dual zone to single zone with harnesses etc..

Once i hear back from Paul if i can at least get some kind of refund if it doesnt work and i dont blow up the unit I'll order it.

Why can't they just slap the same curcuit board that exists right now on a new faceplate, but leave the stereo out? The AC section could be exactly the way it is now, with the stereo missing. I don't understand what is difficult about that...

Why can't they just slap the same curcuit board that exists right now on a new faceplate, but leave the stereo out? The AC section could be exactly the way it is now, with the stereo missing. I don't understand what is difficult about that...

Cuz something in the stereo runs all the controls....If you take it out the stereo, you can't use anything............you can do that you just need to relocate the stereo and rewire everything, basically make a new circuit board...not an easy task. I did it in my mazda6.......took FOREVER.....ended up not be'n worth it..... hence my cubby install

Cuz something in the stereo runs all the controls....If you take it out the stereo, you can't use anything............you can do that you just need to relocate the stereo and rewire everything, basically make a new circuit board...not an easy task. I did it in my mazda6.......took FOREVER.....ended up not be'n worth it..... hence my cubby install

How unfortunate!

I think it was a major oversight to assume buyers would be content with the factory stereo. I've never owned a vehicle that prevented me from easily upgrading the sound system. The LOC setup I have sounds like garbage - I wasn't anticipating having to buy a new Head Unit in addition to everything else I've bought.

OK, enough ranting from me. I should worry more about the idle/stuttering problems I am still having, even though I already had the entire module replaced. I reset it by disconnecting the battery, and that really helped, but I know it's going to come back after a few hundred more miles.

:-(

Archived