LegacyGT.com

New audio/navi accessories in Japan

apexjapan

Has anyone checked the service manuals for the manual controls vs the automatic controls to see if the pin outs are the same?

That would lead me to try the JDM part, if they where simular.

I looked into that, i thought that perhaps the manual a/c were only simple electronic knobs, but the manual a/c control is actually a physical control with an actuator cable hooked up to it etc.

The reason on my hunch that the single zone JDM controller might work is that the circuit board in the OEM stereo does nothing but send signals to a controller computer thats burried in the dash by the glove box. Since the controller is just a display and knobs my hunch is that it will be able to talk to the USDM controller box. I suppose i could just order it and take one for the team and if it doesnt work with the US one I could sell it to one of the guys down under / nz to get some of my money back.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I just "installed" the cubby relocation

The good news the clock face fits perfectly inside the surround face and looks OEM when installed.

The installation should go like follows: Remove radio. Remove the cubby and clock from the cubby. Cut the tabs off the side of the clock (that were screwed into the cubby). Place the clock in the cage. Unscrew the ashtray. Put the fascia in between the shift trim and cag secure with 2 screws. Plug in extension and put back together.

Problems:

The radio support (that the radio sits on when unscrewed) at the bottom interferes with the clock where it plugs in. Nothing a little hacksaw couldn't fix.

The tabs that extend into the ashtray bin on the shift trim interfere with the fascia piece. Nothing some side-cutters couldn't fix.

The screw holes on the fascia and bracket don't line up with the US ashtray screw positions. Currently there's some tape holding it down. Ultimately I'll probably glue it in.

Finally as we know the harness included only has 7 pins of the 9 on the clock. When the harness is used (unmodified) the AIRBAG light stays on. The pins I thought I'd use from the ashtray light harness are a different size. Fortunately my cable reaches.

If you've got a 06 model I don't think it's an issue because the airbag light is in next to the seatbelt light in the overhead consol.

However because of the tight fit I have to plug the clock harness in with the radio out (which requires the side trim out). Since the shift trim in the last piece that goes in its a bit tricky to put everything back together.

One idea is the airbag pins might not need to be connected. When I used the JDM harness the airbag light on the clock was illuminated, however the ON/OFF lights were not. If we're lucky it's simple voltage circuit and then we could get by without the extra pins.

well thats disappointing, I would think they could make these cars pretty much symmetrical in the console that all this would transfer, I'd rather just let my info center dangle behind my radio than cut tabs off it and glue it into this peice :( especially when this is a $200 (thereabouts) accessory, and its not even bolt in for a tiny little black thing? just don't know if thats a good desicion

agreed however, pics would be nice, might not be as bad as it sounds.

I'm the kinda guy that when I mod my car I only do things I can remove when I get ready to sell, cos as you all know mods decrease value. As such hack saws and cutting sheers are not attractive tools.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

• 2 weeks later...

wow. if this wasn't so expensive, then i'd be willing to try it. that just seems like a lot of money when it doesn't quite fit. :(

JohnM, what did you do? i saw you had moved the clock somewhere else too. how difficult was it and how did you do this?

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• 2 weeks later...

well guys, to give you all an update on my project, and on this info center dealy..

I got mine early this week, straight out of some sort of japanese postal service bag.. heck of a trip this little peice of plastic has made...

anyway... the first thing I notice.. is that my car was assembled by a god.. I literally hurt my hand trying to disengage these clips.. well the good thing is.. they wont be coming apart on their own heh

I'll post pics of all this later btw yall, I've got them already but I need to transfer them to the PC resize attach etc. so I'll either reply or report.

everything that was mentioned about installing the kit in this car makes perfect sense to me now.. essentially.. what you have here is a snap in part... thats mirrored.. so it doesn't snap in at all heh.

Basically, I have taken a whiteout pen and marked spots on the JDM peice that have to be deremeled off, from that point over kinda, after this is done, and the hole one one side is ovaled out to fit, the peice should then pretty much just bolt in...

I am yet to have any information about the wire harness, but I hope to have that info in a few days.

The manual that comes with the jdm relocation kit shows a picture of someone taking a hack saw and notching a peice out of the factory black dash support for the wire harness to go through, I know the other guy whos alrady done this mentioned it being in the way, that could be the reason. Its a very thin peice, nothing a dremel can't do in a few minutes..

sorry I dont have more info! I will have to work with all these giant pics and then I will be able to post my findings. My carputer install is scheduled for this weekend, got about 3-4 people that say they can probablly help, and I've already about taken the car apart in a stripped down but still driveable condition to prepare, will take lots of pics for everyone on that as well.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

ok forgive my crappy pics as this is very hard to photograph, especially with my photography skillz.

the stock peice, as you can see, has 2 shelf like things on it that are recessed back into the bottom/back of the console peice where the ash tray bolts, these seem for the most part useless if not jsut for mounting easier, as you can plainly see.. one is longer than the other.. and the short one is deeper. Of course with the info center thing being mirrored, one side of it is too short and too deep, the depth can be fixed worse case you can shim it out with something, but the height is a problem, as such the whiteout pics show that I drew a line on the jdm peice for a recommended dremel-to point to open this peice up large enough to clear it.

Despite the stock console trim looking symmetrical, its suprisingly angled towards the driver, I honestly thought it faced straight back just form looking at it in the car.. nope! as such, one of the tabs on the jdm peice is larger than the other, and is mounted closer on the peice than the other, its double statement but that can be fixed with a shim.. what can't be fixed is the fact that the other tab is much larger and the hole will need to be ovaled out. I drew a whiteout line on it in the idea that we may have to notch it so that it will fit, notching one side should not compromise mounting integrity with these screws I do not beleive.

stocker1.jpg.1269763a64d34372d9c3365500aabcfe.jpg

stocker2.jpg.9f9f63e710e9d03229a20aaf45437816.jpg

whiteout1.jpg.6a5c0f69f18eae87519c36dc6c538fd3.jpg

whiteout2.jpg.63d6d1466c7e38d5d73fd59ec5883415.jpg

• 11 years later...
I love the idea of what I'm reading about here, but none of the pictures are there any more! I would love to see a pic of this alternative info panel relocation...Has anyone got one? Or even better, a link to the Japanese website? Those links are also down now.. :(

I love the idea of what I'm reading about here, but none of the pictures are there any more! I would love to see a pic of this alternative info panel relocation...Has anyone got one? Or even better, a link to the Japanese website? Those links are also down now.. :(

Here you go...

http://digitalsubaru.com/images/infopanel.jpg

Archived