LegacyGT.com

severe jerking at boost - new tune

okay so i just got my car back after a fresh tune yesterday - added 850cc injectors, intake and a bypass valve. car ran fine on the way home. today however i started it up to run to the store, idled high (like 1.5k rpm) then car started shuddering/jerking horribly right as boost was kicking in. like lost all power, lurched forward.

grabbed coffee, let it idle for a while while the g/f grabbed her dry-cleaning and whatnot. on the way home it was much better, but i felt a tiny bit of stutter/hesitation coming out of boost. any ideas? did notice a/f learning is at getting over 10... took a quick log if that helps...

datalog8.csv

i can put anything i want down here?!

just checked all the hoses, they seem fine. also don't think it's that because it jerked horribly on the ride to the store, but was for the most part fine on the way home, so it's not like a hose would have re-connected itself... frustrating...

i would agree with a vac/boost leak *somewhere*

the a/f learning may be masking the issue and reducing the jerking.

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

• Moderators
if you're consistently seeing higher values it's probably a leak. Start the car and spray some carb cleaner in likely spots to see if the engine revs up at all--vacuum hoses, inlet, etc. Also check that your airbox is sealed correctly.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
The AF learning maxes out at 15, so as long as it stays below there it looks like the ECU is able to compensate for the leak. I would say that makes it pretty safe to drive, just don't be an asshat. If you find it pegging at 15, that means it's not able to compensate enough for the leak and at that point I'd be a bit more concerned.

• Moderators
Our cars can go to 25, not 15.

Did you do a fuel pump?

The learned trims in my LV would never go above 15...

Edit: and I'm pretty sure that's the max. Are you referring to a different value that can go to 25?

good to know. and i certainly wouldn't even go above 3k rpm (unless to do logs) until this is all sorted out... and not sure if wiener was asking me, but yeah, dw65c pump. brand new dw850's went in yesterday.

i'm somewhat glad to see the a/f learning values dropping the more i drive it, but am still way out of my comfort zone as it is now...

• Moderators
Updated software.

Unless I drifted into Imprezza world again

Updated software on an ECU wouldn't really be related just to the tuning device...? Anyway, OP--you have an '05 and I'd bet money your max value is 15, AP or OS.

Updated software on an ECU wouldn't really be related just to the tuning device...?

Most certainly would. OS starts with whatever the ecu had from the factory, unless you flash something else into it... like someone else's map.

AP is a more standardized system, only a few versions of the base rom floating around.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Most certainly would. OS starts with whatever the ecu had from the factory, unless you flash something else into it... like someone else's map.

AP is a more standardized system, only a few versions of the base rom floating around.

Most OS tuners are starting with the factory ROMs and modifying them from there. So why in this case would the AF Learning #1 Limit be more likely to have been modified on OS platforms? Oh that's right, you're by admission not a tuner so you wouldn't know.

I'm not a "tuner" and I don't tune cars

AF Learning #1 Limit on stock ROM A2WC522N is indeed +/- 15% as Barmanbean mentioned.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

wiener, you never learn do you?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/losing-boost-pressure-occasion-201743p2.html

25% st 25% lt = 50%

LTFTs are limited to +/-15% unless a tuner specifically changes it. I'm not sure what the immediate AF Correction #1 limit is, but I think 25% might actually be right for that...

Furthermore, a high LTFT in either direction (+/-) in Trim D isn't good... You've been on here long enough that you should know why it's potentially bad.

A 9% deviation is more than what a majority of people here would be comfortable with... And certainly not a 9% positive correction. A healthy LTFT tends to trend negative a tiny bit.

That's what I'm saying, the stock roms, early ones at that, might be 15%.

Updated roms, usually updated through an AP, I see more in the 20's.

I also might be confusing Imprezza ECU's.

Most OS tuners are starting with the factory ROMs and modifying them from there.

Most tuners do not stat with the stock rom. Most successful tuners have a set of their own basemaps they start with so they don't have to spend so much time tweaking all the little stuff they've figured out. How many people that get Etunes check to see if they have the same rom before and after a tune?

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived