LegacyGT.com

2005-2009 brake recall notice is sent out

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

If you haven't taken your car in, you better do so ASAP.

I had mine for and nothing seemed out of the ordinary but the dealer said they'd like to look at it.

I took it in and they service advisor came back an hour later with the following statement: "We are going to keep your car and put you in a loaner."

I was confused cause nothing seemed amiss with the car. I had good pedal pressure and the car stopped well. Then he goes on to say you've blown two brake lines and the reservoir is empty. He did say I could take the car but I'd have to sign a waiver acknowledging that I know of the problem but chose to take the car anyways.

They said the car should be done by Friday.

Wow, where do you live ?

I kind of figured this was going to happen with my 05 wagon, it's my DD since Jun 04. It's seen 9 winter in New England going to/from VT most every winter weekend, it normally get's washed once may be twice between mid Nov and mid March.

It was fine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Mine was fine also. Abs sensor is bad tho and stealership quoted me $260 to replace. F that.

WHy it's a major job to replace the ABS sensor, you have to drive the car into the shop, put it up on the lift, remove the tire and wheel, disconnect the sensor connector, spray the 3 rusty bolts with PB Blaster, remove the one bolt from the clamp and the two that hold in the sensor, then go thru all that again in reverse.

It's easy to why it would cost so much. May be the Sensor is like $200.00

LOL

While I was waiting for my car, the service guy told a lady they would change her battery terminal for $80.

Your getting a deal at $260 lol

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

had my car up on a lift getting oil change and rotate tires. asked my mechanic to take a look the brake line in question. mine definitely needs to be replaced.

have to make my call to the dealer.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

WHy it's a major job to replace the ABS sensor, you have to drive the car into the shop, put it up on the lift, remove the tire and wheel, disconnect the sensor connector, spray the 3 rusty bolts with PB Blaster, remove the one bolt from the clamp and the two that hold in the sensor, then go thru all that again in reverse.

It's easy to why it would cost so much. May be the Sensor is like $200.00

LOL

While I was waiting for my car, the service guy told a lady they would change her battery terminal for $80.

Your getting a deal at $260 lol

I think the part is like $80. He mentioned something about rust and corroded bolts and tapping out broken bolt studs... I was thinking isn't this a normal procedure when replacing anything that bolts on to the bottom of a car that has ever seen any salt or moisture??

Gonna call the master tech directly(he's in the scene out here) and see if he can do it for a better price. Then check with my tuner/race shop and see what they can do for me. $260 seams like a lot. I would attempt it myself but he said the plug is all the way up through the fender on a harness and not right at the sensor... Can anyone confirm this?

Took mine in last Friday and they sprayed it down with the anti corrosive, even though i did rustproofing...all looked good...and got a free super clean car wash inside out and tire shine =)

Definitely worth taking time to get it inspected, its my lifeline...waited 45 mins as they were very busy

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

Took mine in to the stealer yesterday and there was no rust at all. The tech let me take a look while it was on the rack (I was too lazy to put it on stands to look at when I knew I was going to have them look at it) and I quickly scanned several other things too....LOL. I bought my LGT new in October 04 and the brake line area in question looked like someone had already sprayed it with the anti-corrosive "wax" stuff that they are using-white residue on the 4 way connector and lines going into the connector. I know I didn't spray it, so possibly someone at the stealership when I bought it may have already seen the light??

Anyway, the stealership I went to said they have inspected 56 cars (I was #57 on the list and SOA only had sent them 32 repair kits and they were initially worried that they were going to use them up quickly and have to order more) and haven't had to do a single repair on them.

Looks like a pain in the ass if it would need repair. Use NiCopp yourself if it ever fails and you'll not have near the issue you would with steel line.

Still need to set up my appointment. I too am worried because I know they are going to mention other things.

My care whines and squels and aches when I pick up speed from a stop and when i roll to a stop. As well as my mechanic has been telling me fore months to get my head gaskets looked at since they're leaking oil. I've been avoiding this though because everyone I know says "oh subaru's just do that".

This is going to be one expensive recall for me.

Just got my car back after 2 weeks in the shop. They said it was really hard to get the parts for it and then they've got to take most of the car apart like drop the Transmission and rear end as well as take the seats out.

Just for this brake line thing?

I just called my closest dealer, Subaru of Hunt Valley. They took my name and number, and apparently they're just calling people as spots open up - said it's about a 2 week wait time at this point :confused:

Also said that every car they've seen has been fine - they just spray the protectant on it.

• 2 weeks later...
Take mine in today jacked it up and took a look at it last night. Not looking so hot slight seepage it seems and fluid level is a bit low. Kinda surprising as the rust on the underside of car isn't all that bad for being a Massachusetts car it whole life. Hope I am not without my car for 2 weeks.

Archived