LegacyGT.com

New cat back on the market?

I'll be seeing my friend with the GoPro tonight... I'll see what I can do. I'll try and get some city driving and highway merging/passing to give a good idea of what it sounds like.

did this get posted anywhere?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There will be one 4" tip per cut out, and it'll be round. We don't have any oval tips. The bumper cutouts are not made for twins in each cutout without them being 2" or smaller. We don't have tubing here that small to go into a tip that size. The WRX/STI cutouts are bigger and support twin 3" on each side.

Those tips you have in that picture are the older, embossed ones where the logo is raised up like Braille. All of our current tips are laser etched. :)

http://image.popularhotrodding.com/f/magazine-stuff/corsa-2010-camaro-exhaust/19218999/corsa-performance-exhaust-2010-camaro-ss-62-l-stainless-tip.jpg

I'm working with our sales/marketing team to get some videos up of the STI sound. The LGT sound will be identical to the ear inside and outside. Personally I wish we could kick this Subaru stuff into high gear and get it out soon, but we want to bring the entire LGT wagon+sedan and OBXT offering to market at the same time instead of peace meal, one at a time.

I know this only goes so far, but you guys really have my word that it will be worth the wait. :)

I think I can also say that the LGT/OBXT kits will most likely be cheaper than the WRX/STI kits due to simpler tip assemblies on the LGT/OBXT (single vs twin in the cutout).

I hope that helps guys. :)

That is gorgeous... instant wood.

that looks like an oval tip... lol

Most definitely round. I promise. ;)

did this get posted anywhere?

Friend dropped the ball on bringing the GoPro. Our marketing team and I were discussing how to get in-cabin videos that accurately depict drone and drone reduction. It's harder than you think. :spin:

Bump for more fuel for the fire, Baconbits! I love the sound in your video, and although it seems loud I'll bet it is just because the camera is so close to the exhaust. You've commented a lot on the quietness in the cabin, but could you comment on the volume outside? How loud would this be compared to say the Borla, SPT or Prodrive?

If this sounds as good as you say (I don't doubt it) and it is not too loud on the outside I would bet there would be a lot of interest, especially in areas with fairly strict modification laws (like Ontario.) On your website it talks about Xtreme, Sport and Touring exhaust types, and would think that Touring would be perfect. Or perhaps even a choice for those wanting to go more aggressive?

Also, I love the idea of keeping the Y tucked up as tight as possible - don't want to be too low with all the crap roads and weather up here.

Thanks for keeping us updated!

Eric

The SPT is so quiet that it got a chuckle out of me and a coworker when we measured the outside sound levels. The SAE J1169 test says to place the sound meter 20" away from the tip at a 45° angle rearward and outboard of the car. SAE on the SPT catback on a stock downpipe on the STI hatch was 62dB. 50 stage legal is 95.

Our catback is going to push the limit of 50-state legal and the full turbo back is going to be marketed as "off road use only" (just like every downpipe on the market should be). Technically it's not legal to sell ANY downpipe which removes the stock cat(s) per the EPA, even if the replacement downpipe has a cat in it. It must be an OEM cat or it must be sold as "off road use only."

Noise outside the car does not always correlate to noise inside the cabin, so don't be afraid of the noise outside. ;)

Touring is only found on older kits... we don't have that sound level on the newer (5 years old or newer) kits. Sport would be our catback for the Subarus and then it would be Xtreme for the turboback.

I should clarify... technically it's not legal to sell any exhaust component that removes the stock cat(s) even if it replaces them with a cat... meaning all downpipes with high flow cats are technically for "off road use only." From what I understand, the only replacement cats that are, again, technically road legal are dealer replacements.

Needless to say, if/when we bring a downpipe to the market for our cars and the newer STI/WRX, it will be labeled as "off road use only."

Actually that's not entirely correct. While it is illegal to tamper with emissions equipment (yes even if you are in an area that doesn't enforce emissions) if your cat is 'damaged' you can replace it with a 49 state legal 'high flow' unit, unless you live in California.

In California it's oem or CARB certified to meet oem standards.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Actually that's not entirely correct. While it is illegal to tamper with emissions equipment (yes even if you are in an area that doesn't enforce emissions) if your cat is 'damaged' you can replace it with a 49 state legal 'high flow' unit, unless you live in California.

Then, if it is true, no need of the 'off road use only' sticker then?

• Moderators
Then, if it is true, no need of the 'off road use only' sticker then?

Pretty sure every company that makes aftermarket products uses that phrase to cover their ass, regardless of whether it is legally required or not.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I think this is indeed correct. IOW, if you replace your cat with one that meets EPA standards, then you're good.

--> http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

Archived