LegacyGT.com

What to look out for?

I'm a bit paranoid about my car because I desperately need it to not break. As a result, I get freaked out every time the driving noises change at all. What should I be looking out for though? What noises are indicative of a problem?

Info on you car would help

Year

Mileage

Model

Work history

Mods

With such little information I'll just say check your oil and don't drive like a teenager and don't forget search this forum is a great resource don't abuse it

I would (in hindsight of course) 1. buy the best model you can afford, 2. buy a comprehensive 3 year mechanical warranty, 3. service it regularly, 4. drive it like you stole it.

basically any noise that sounds like metal on metal "grinding" (ie: low/no lubricant) = bad.

Are moderate ticking noises ok? I'll try to get a video but it just sounds like the injectors firing or a lazy lifter. I'm new to the whole boxer game and was wondering if you other guys have slight ticking noises coming from your bay.

The ticking was one of the first things I noticed about my car after driving it home from the dealer for the first time. For me, I think it's most noticeable when I hold the throttle at around 2400rpm-2600rpm or so. I'll try and get a clip of my ticking later if you're unable to, and double check when it happens most for me.

Yeah, from my research here it seems to be a pretty common occurrence. I just like to have a lot of reassurance :)

Nothing wrong with that.

I'm hunting for a coolant drip now. I thinking it may be one of the new hoses on the new crossover pipe I installed last May.

Keep your ears and eye's open, these cars let you know when somethings not right.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/reliability-modifications-178342.html?t=178342&highlight=reliability+modifications

Since these cars have been around for awhile, there is a pretty good base of typical issues etc. The link above covers many of the typical issues and how to resolve them. The rest you can find by reading through the sticky's on the various sub-forums.

Aside from that, like Max said, listen to your car and get to know the sounds. Changes in these sounds will help you identify issues, and be sure to address them as soon as possible to avoid catastrophic failures.

A few notes on the valve tick-

-It could be nothing, but it could also be a sign of impending failure. While these cars are known to have noisy valvetrains, they are also known to have oil starvation issues that can cripple the engine.

-Have you had the timing belt done within the recommended mileage? (before 105k)

-Oil starvation can cause the valvetrain to tick. I recently replaced the oil pickup tube after hearing my valves tapping. The OEM part can develop a hairline crack on the neck of the tube, causing poor oil supply to the heads. An aftermarket pickup tube is cheap insurance to prevent damage to the engine/turbo.

-You may want to clean/replace the OCV's, as they can lead to starvation issues as well

-Search about the oil supply banjo filters- These can clog and lead to serious problems.

The last thing I want to mention is to enjoy the car in spite of the possible issues. I've spent the last 6-9months stressing out chasing issues that may/may not be serious. There is a lot of maintenance required to keep these running at higher mileage, so keep that in mind. But that said, they can be reliable, so don't let the extra work take away from the enjoyment of the car.

If you're running the boosted version, sell it. Seriously it's not a reliable motor.

The two major problems relate to very costly fixes. Motor and turbo problems. Motor rings and valves. Turbo failure normally takes out the motor in the process.

Archived