LegacyGT.com

Is this an easy kill???

A co-worker keeps talking trash about my LGT. He says his 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP would smoke it, especially because I drive a wagon. In his own words, "There is no way your wagon would beat me". He is supercharged with 240 hp and 280 ft. lbs. I think it would be an easy kill for me because his car is seven years old, he is bone stock as am I, and afterall, it's a Pontiac. He only wants to put $25 on it so I think he has some hesitations about it, but he sure talks like he is confident. I could sure use the $25 because I have 1/4 of a tank left. What do you think?

It will be very close,I saw one review that said it hit 60 in 6.7 (leg wagon 6.8) he will prob beat you from 0 to 25 mile per hour it's hard to say who will win but once the turbo kicks in you can beat him easy. oh and what kind of a race are you going to have I can tell you more I just need to know what type of race its is.

Good luck

David

Hehehehehehe

Puh-leeeez.....

To compare a:

- 3.8L pushrod V6

- Eaton M90 roots-type supercharger

- 240 hp / 280 ft-lb

- 1/4 mi approx. 14.8 @ 92mph

- 0-60 in 6.8 sec

Even with a 5EAT LGT is a no brainer, LGT all the way!!! Now if you really want to schmoke him, try to rev up while breaking and then launch, this will make your car even faster...

Bottom line: You should win, and even worse if he tire spins, or have a bad launch, once the GTP is wrong wheel drive...

Good luck,

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

If he's truly bone stock I think you've got him. Those cars run high 14's-low 15's. As long as he doesn't have an overdrive pulley you should beat him by a car length or maybe a little more in the 1/4.

I have to disagree with everyone here...

hope your car's at least this fast...sorry to spam this video lol :dm:

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Accelerate

that's my GTP with no mods other than very minor exhaust work (no headers or anything, just ported exhaust manifold) and an intake...

Being a GTP OWNER, and test driving the LGT (auto, 2006) (as in the thread with 1800 views :lol: )

I dont think your gonna win. If he gets a good launch, it's OVER.

I ran a 14.4 @ 97 with the same mods on the car as in the vid....basically stock.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

Make sure you hold the brake down and rev up to 3k rpms, and just shift that manual mode good. I think with that kinda launch and run you'll win no problem. Good luck and keep us posted if you race him.

That's exactly what I was thinking but I have heard not to take it over 2k rpms. Just enough for the converter, but I'm no tech.

It will be very close,I saw one review that said it hit 60 in 6.7 (leg wagon 6.8) he will prob beat you from 0 to 25 mile per hour it's hard to say who will win but once the turbo kicks in you can beat him easy. oh and what kind of a race are you going to have I can tell you more I just need to know what type of race its is.

Good luck

David

He is thinking about racing on a back road but I am trying to convince him to go to a 1/8 mile track 15 minutes from here. I'm still working on my launch. I have never raced in an auto, only 5mt's.

I dunno about this one.

I've seen the supercharged Grand Prix's run mid/high 1/4 mile times.

They also have excellent aftermarket potential. I would like to know the outcome, so whether or not you get the $25, let us know what happened.

Be sure to stall up to 3K before the launch. Practice this well because you will need to do this to win. If he jumps you by 2 carlengths out of the hole, then it will be over. :(

And one more thing: race him 1/4 mile, not 1/8. I don't think think our Legacy turbo hits 13psi until 3rd gear, and you would be throwing that away in an 1/8 mile contest.

I have a theory that the Legacy will actually pull slightly on the Grand Prix past 80mph.

--

Hmm, what are auto LGTs getting for 60' times? Launching from 3K with the turbo spooled should mean a good launch. The Pontiac will peg leg burnout through first and some of second, especially at the track if the owner isn't used to the surface. :D Make sure he isn't sneaky and has switch pullies on you.

And do it at the track. Less excuses from him, and much safer.

-B

I dunno about this one.

I've seen the supercharged Grand Prix's run mid/high 1/4 mile times.

They also have excellent aftermarket potential. I would like to know the outcome, so whether or not you get the $25, let us know what happened.

Be sure to stall up to 3K before the launch. Practice this well because you will need to do this to win. If he jumps you by 2 carlengths out of the hole, then it will be over. :(

And one more thing: race him 1/4 mile, not 1/8. I don't think think our Legacy turbo hits 13psi until 3rd gear, and you would be throwing that away in an 1/8 mile contest.

I have a theory that the Legacy will actually pull slightly on the Grand Prix past 80mph.

--

+1

GTP's have serious low-end. They tend to run out of steam up top - at least the one I drove did..

Moved.

Cheers

Dave.

With all due respect, this forum is waaaaay over-moderated.

I mean, most everyone appears to get along, so why all the merging, moving, locking, and poking and prodding?

So many subforums it's difficult to keep track...I mean, really, 47 forums for one car?

geez...

I vote for #48 to be....oh nevermind

Edit: since being moved, this thread will die. I may very well be the last reply. :mad:

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

I have to disagree with everyone here...

hope your car's at least this fast...sorry to spam this video lol :dm:

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Accelerate

""that's my GTP with no mods other than very minor exhaust work (no headers or anything, just ported exhaust manifold) and an intake...""

:lol:*AHEM* very minor exhaust work and or ported exhaust manifold , is still a mod.:lol:

bone stock = u didn't do anything :D

""Being a GTP OWNER, and test driving the LGT (auto, 2006) (as in the thread with 1800 views :lol: )

I dont think your gonna win. If he gets a good launch, it's OVER.

I ran a 14.4 @ 97 with the same mods on the car as in the vid....basically stock.""

:cool:** I thought LGT runs 14.2 in 1/4 ** or maybe the stats are wrong hehe???:cool:

GOOD LUCK!!!!

I mean, most everyone appears to get along, so why all the merging, moving, locking, and poking and prodding?

So many subforums it's difficult to keep track...I mean, really, 47 forums for one car?

geez...

Edit: since being moved, this thread will die. I may very well be the last reply. :mad:

"Is this an easy kill???" belongs in "Other cars & other cars vs. the Leagcy"

Not everyone who visits the "Subaru Legacy" forum wants to read about kill stories, most are looking for actual info on the car.

Thanks & Cheers

Dave.

Guest *Jedimaster*
You might get a spankin'- mine was fast form the factory, but modding it was cheap as hell. Switching to Subaru was a shock- most things are sooooo expensive!

geez...

Still waiting for that death...any minute now.

BOT: I think if you get the hole shot w/ a good launch you will take him.

geez...

No it won't... Tons of people read and post in this forum. It's not really a tech or general Legacy topic so doesn't belong in the tech or general Legacy forums. Also, posts in here don't add onto your count, as it should be for an "off-topic" discussion.

is the GTP stick or auto?

No manual shift option for GTP's - autos only.

Archived